World of Xoops (WOX): WOX (World of XOOPS) Newsletter # 36 (September 2010)Posted by: Mambaon 2010/9/22 7:20:00 10997 reads
The number of XOOPS fans on Facebook is growing is constantly growing, and if you are not yet a fan, please join us today!
Highlights of the last month:
- Work continuous on XOOPS 2.5.0 Alpha 2 (see latest development on SVN)
- XOOPS Innovation Award - for people who create something very unique and innovative for XOOPS. This time the award goes to to Ricardo Costa (Trabis) from Portugal, for his innovative Mymenus 1.1 module! This is his 2nd Innovation Award! .
- XOOPSer of the Month Award: is given to XOOPS members who show extraordinary dedication to XOOPS, and go the extra mile for XOOPS. This month, it goes to Benoît Puissant (Solo71) from Belgium for the support on XOOPS France and his many modules. Solo71 is a XOOPS member since 2002
Please help us spread the word about XOOPS!! .
If you are a happy XOOPS user, let the world know - please blog about XOOPS, share your experiences with others, rate and review us on SourceForge and other Websites. We need to let the world know about XOOPS!!!
And if you're not happy with something in XOOPS, please let us know so we can fix it and improve! Better yet - help us fix it and improve it!
Remember - XOOPS is powered by YOU!!!!
If you like the XOOPS system, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation to the XOOPS Foundation! Simply use the XOOPS Donation System and use your PayPal account or your Credit Card to donate .
Your donation will be used to promote and advance the use and development of the XOOPS system. The XOOPS Foundation is a registered not-for-profit organization in the USA, dedicated to promote XOOPS! All donators will get the Friend of XOOPS rank here on this website. Thanks to all the Friends of XOOPS for their donations and continued support!
If you wonder what is happening with XOOPS money, please read the 2009 XOOPS Financial Report
This month we would like to acknowledge following donors:
- Ian A. Underwood: $25
- Ying-Chen Lin : $25
- Anonymous: $5
- Jackson Matos: $5
Thank you so much for supporting XOOPS!!!!
- XOOPS 2.4.5 Final Is Released (incl. international versions, already over 14,000 downloads)
- TV XooFoo : 4 months - 400 videos and a lot of features ...
- XOOPS Core Development Updates As Of August 1st, 2010
- XOOPS Hungary is Back!!!
- XOOPS Resource Book
- XOOPS on Facebook fan list growing
- XOOPS Bug Hunting Week
- New domain for persian support site
In 2010 we are re-introducing monthly Team Reports from our XOOPS Teams.
Core Development Team
Modules Development Team
Several new modules updated.
Theme Design TeamSeveral new themes from Insraq, Algalochkin!
Community Coordination/Support Team
Standard maintenance of the Website, and keeping it current.
International Support Team
See Support Site Guidelines. Unfortunately some support sites do not anymore offer the quality of support we are looking for so these sites will have to be removed as official support sites and no longer linked to from the International Support page. This will however, open the opportunity for other webmasters in these regions to start and maintain a local XOOPS Support site, which is a lot of fun and you'll help a lot by spreading our great CMS to your area and language. To apply for official status, use this form (login required).
XOOPS on Facebook: join the main XOOPS group on Facebook
WOX newsletter, keeping press informed.
This month, we would like to recognize Benoît Puissant (Solo71) from Belgium for the support on XOOPS France and his many modules. Solo71 is a XOOPS member since 2002
Where are you from?
I'm from Belgium (Europe). I grew up in Tournai, and now I'm in Arlon (bordering France and Luxembourg) where I live, work and pay my taxes. I'm native French speaker. I'm about to be 40 soon (guess why my nick is Solo71), married and the proud father of a respectively 10 and 2 years old girl and little boy.
How long have you been programming?
My very first contact with programming was on a Tandy 64k with BASIC, in the early 80'. Which was at that time more like a hobby, discovering how computers work.
Being a "media man" as a TV oriented journalist, my professional career got me in touch with the Internet. But mainly as a newbie consumer.
What are your skills?
Basically, I am a journalist by education and profession, mainly in the audio-visual! Professionals detours led me to abandon this area and I redirected myself to the web. A media I find alike more flexible, lighter and just as much as powerful.
I was once called a one man band, where I much consider myself more like a "communication technician". I like to say how that the better I know the tool, the better I can use it. And if I can also share these tools, I feel even better!
What got you to XOOPS?
Random internet meeting. In 2002, someone I met online proposed to create what was my very first online community project : www.wolfpackclan.com. The very first site version was powered with php-Nuke, and a few weeks later the designer proposed to switch to a new system a friend of him was working on: XOOPS. The first installed version was an early XOOPS Alpha, which we used as it is for about 8 month!
After a few month, our webmaster was getting less involved, and I had to take over all the webmaster work, and that's when I started to learn HTML.
It was only in July 2003 that I started my very first professional website for the company I worked for: www.arma-sa.com. At that time, it was also my very first XOOPS 2.0 website. And thus, looking for help, I got in touch with www.frxoop.org (the french xoops support site). Only a few weeks later, I joined the support team - not that I was an outstanding Xoopser, but because I was more helping people than being helped...
What brought you to register on frxoops.org?
At the time of the establishment of Arma site (the site is in French), I was regularly coming on the frxoops.org forums with my questions. Ironically, while few of my questions found replies, I started to help the other users....
Why did you join the admin team?
... Which led Alain and Anexia (both founders of frxoops) to invited me join the "Dream Team" in August 2002. At the time there were only Christian ... and empty private forums! The years that followed were very prolific for our francophone community and names like Philou (then-webmaster of Xoops theme.org), Herve, Marcan, Blueteen, Skalpa, Marco, Kris, DuGris, and many other to join the team and contributed to the development of our French speaking community and the XOOPS project.
What do you like the most about XOOPS?
I think we can say I fell into the cauldron when I was young (Internet speaking of course). Besides I have never been really interested in trying any other kind of CMS, since XOOPS presents many advantages to my eyes:
On a technical side:
- the modularization: with a XOOPS Core and its modules you can power up all kind of websites: from a small showcase website to a very powerful community oriented website. Also without having to reinvent the wheel, you can create quite easily your own;
- the customization : from little know-how to expert programming knowledge, you can fit you website to your needs.
- its general qualities: its object oriented architecture and search engine optimization make this system a very efficient tool.
- Programming languages: the mix of so many internet languages (HTML, PHP, mySQL, Smarty, JavasSript and anything that may power a website - even Flash!) makes (almost) everything possible. What one language can't do, the other one can. Some developers complained about the Smarty template system addition to the 2.x xoops version. I wish I knew then, what I know now to show them their mistake!
On a more philosophical side:
- Community spirit. Being able to share knowledge, projects and pieces of code. Beyond the virtual , having met Xoopsers of flesh and bones as you recall we're all men and women from all backgrounds, with our qualities and our defects. But I loved and still love to share this passion for this CMS with each and every one.
- The open-source project. Being able to contribute, each according to his competence, his desires and his pace, building a global project that transcends all boundaries and divisions. I had to the opportunity to cooperate on many projects (modules, support site or even the future of Xoops) with French, Canadian, Dutch, Americans, Brazilian, German and even .. . the Flemish (Belgian Dutch) developers. This is a world without borders and limits!
- Programming. I've always been fascinated by computers, the fact that a machine can do all the work (even in your absence) at your place is a concept that I like. I'm what you might call a "lazy intelligent". I will deploy a lot of energy to find ways to make maximum work in minimum time. Object programming in general and XOOPS in particular allows me to accomplish all this.
In what area of XOOPS do you contribute and why?
The visible part are probably the modules. Once a Xoopser told me that there are no more than one or two XOOPS sites that are not using Multimenu (whatever version). I don't know if it's true, but I know that my applications have experienced some popularity. So much that I can't provide an active support (sorry guys, we must choose - I either develop new features, or I provide support). I also made some themes that I see resurfacing in my backlinks from time to time.
The most hidden part in the project is as a member of the team www.frxoops.org. I have traveled thousands of miles (by train and car) on behalf of XOOPS (damn, it looks like I spoke of a God!?). I met many Xoopsers and often very indirectly I contributed to the project. Even if it has not always been successful ... But even if I'm not as "public" on the xoops forums as I used to, my interactions with administrators of www.frxoops.org and www.xoops.org are almost daily. With Philou, we tend to consider that we are some kind of Xoops' "dinosaurus". Is there any threat to see us as endangered species? In any case, I haven't seen the comet that will finally put a end to our to days yet.
You are also author of many modules. What are you working now on?
Hey, indeed with time, I came up with numerous modules and code. Many of them came from personal needs: Edito, as content manager, Multimenu, as navigation tool, MyReferer for traffic monitoring and many other tools like popgen, mygal, mystats, etc. My favorites are also the very first ones: Multimenu and Edito, which I still continue to develop, enhancing, sometimes rewriting from scratch. I'm currently redesigning both of them. Edito (which I now have renamed to Editos) is currently on my workboard, adding some very useful tools like "independent PHP scripts manager", image manager or pageear manager. You can currently see it working on http://diy.arma-sa.com/modules/editos, which I use as a bridge between the company CRP database and the website. I know it's a long time I haven't released any stable application. This probably due to the fact that I'm never ever happy of the final result, or every time find a way to enhance it... which endlessly led me to postpone its publication.
If you could add one feature to XOOPS, what would it be?
I can not answer that question today, because tomorrow I know I'll find a new feature to deal with...
What is your major achievement in programming that you're most proud of?
First the fact that some of my modules are appreciated by some webmasters. Knowing that I am not a developer (I know some may laugh at that statement), this is some kind of recognition I appreciate.
Xoops France, of course is my pride and joy. The site has experienced many setbacks, its ups and downs, but it is still there. And thanks to the work of a permanent and continuous team (not always the same) passionate people who at one point in their life have decided to devote time and energy to the project and sharing his experience. And above all, its entire community of users and contributors. It is primarily for me a place to meet ... and there are ways to make it beautiful.
What are your hobbies, when you're not coding?
Besides XOOPS, and my kids, I particularly enjoy taking care of my garden. As for the rest, it's also in another secret garden
You favorite dish and drink?
Sea fruits, generally speaking, but I don't spit on frog legs and Garlic Snails.
What about movies and music?
Very classic. I followed the last series: Lost, Desperate Housewife (I am married), the historical series and science fiction, but not the police series. As webmaster of the cinema in my town, I have my free entries. So a bit of everything.
If you would have a chance for a 30 seconds commercial with a message to the world, what would you say?
Stop slapping each other in the face, there's much more interesting things to build together.
If you could choose a place and time to live, what would it be and why?
Today. Truly, we live, I believe, in a key period in human history, its development and its knowledge. But we tend not to realize it all goes so quickly and that we do not take the time back ...
Who is the person that you would like to meet and why?
The whole www.frxoops.org team and Mamba.
The new team of www.frxoops.org (2010 edition), with whom I interact daily. I met Ben (another Benedict), but not Nikita nor Tatane yet. I need to make it happen!
About Mamba - I got to know him over time, and if I had reservations early about his impact for the project, I realize now how the task is not easy. But he gained my respect with professionalism and patience which amazes me every day.
Hats off, ladies and gentlemen, is an old Xoopser telling you.
Our XOOPS Innovation Award is given to people who create something very unique and very innovative for XOOPS! We are clear that XOOPS can only succeed, when we push the limits of our creativity, imagination, and innovation to "infinity and beyond" . And therefore we would like to recognize people who create this "WOW!" effect, when we see what they've done. The XOOPS Innovation Award is not a monthly award, i.e. theoretically, there might be a month where we won't give one, but we certainly hope that this will never happen
Please read his previous Innovation Award interview here.
You can also read his recent interview on XOOPS Russia
- Hermes - English language pack
- Xortify 2.23 - Cloud Computing for Protector (Final)
- X-Center 2.01
- Xoops Chat Module by 123 Flash Chat
- xNews 1.69 Final
- Xortify 2.21
- X-Forum 5.47
- xNews 1.68 Final
- Obituaries Module version 2.2
- xDonations 1.96 BETA 1
- Lawsuit 1.46
- Other Chronolabs Titles In release
- X-Forum 5.46
- Chemical Compounds Modeler 2.17
- PsychTest 1.12
- Mymenus 1.1 Final
- no new security alerts
- Graneroverde : a new website based on XOOPS
- XOOPS BASED FOOTBALL CLUB WEBSITE
- TopVisitas, promote your web
- New design portals Zepce.Ba
- irmob.com updated with new theme
- Swayamsat Updated to xoops 2.4.5
- Whitlawburn Community Resource Centre, created with Xoops
- Drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers worldwide
- New XOOPS Site 'Ferienwohnung'
- EXAMPLES DEMO vs. HOW TO
- The Dark Premium Theme
- The Light Premium Theme for XOOPS
- New theme for frxoops
- New Premium XOOPS Theme
- 2880 Variants in New XOOPS Theme
- New Premium Theme: InsProjekt & 960 Updated & More
- New Free Theme: InsBusie
- Simple Theme - XOOPS free theme
- Heyula-T002 Theme
- Free Xoops Theme Sd-019-GeometricBlue
- Reduction of prices on 8 XOOPS themes in simple graphic style
- New Free Theme: InsMinimal
- Price Reduction on XOOPS Premium Themes by IXThemes
- InsApp 1.0 Released!
- New Modules and Themes TXMod
- Arabic for 2.4.0
- Bosnian for 2.4.5
- Croatian for 2.4.4
- Persian for for 2.4.5
- Danish for 2.4.5
- Japanese for 2.4.5
- Russian for 2.4.5
- Polish for 2.4.4
- Swedish for 2.4.3
- French for 2.4.5
- Spanish for 2.4.5
- Bulgarian for 2.4.0
- French for 2.4.0
- German for 2.4.0
- Turkish for 2.4.0
We are still looking for more translations!!! Can you help? See the list here
* New Theme
* Get together of XOOPS Users/developers
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Brazilian Support (Parana)
Chinese Simple Support
Chinese Traditional Support
Persian (Farsi) Support
Russian 2 Support
Turkish Support 2