DobePhat
Fixed width vs. Dynamic: Your pref.?
  • 2004/2/24 17:20

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Hello,
I've been toying with the idea of making one of my themes fixed width...(my default one)
Its interesting because I was always a champion for dynamic width...
But lately I've been wanting a more presentational look rather then a discussion HUB (which is fine for some other sites Im working on). The truth is, we cant decide whether it's a good idea or not...

What do you prefer fixed width or dynamic?
Whats the best width assignment? (Im thinkin 800px exactly)
What do you think are some advantages or disadvantages of a Fixed width.)Just curious....

(Our site is going to go to more of an ONLINE Publication format and this is what has brought all this up among our team of site admins....)

Thanks all...
Your opinions are always valuable to me..(us)

Vargr
Re: Fixed width vs. Dynamic: Your pref.?
  • 2004/2/24 19:11

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

Fixed width is only usefull if the site contains a very specific layout and design and/or very little actually information.

800px is too narrow. I believe most people run 1024 as a minimum now a days.

Personally I prefer dynamic width

bassyard
  • 2004/2/24 20:02

• bassyard

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/10/5

I use 750px for some sites, then they also show up correctly with people who are using 800x600px displays. but nowadays a lot of people use at least 1024x768px...

regen_r8
  • 2004/2/24 20:04

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

I prefer the dynamic width, but I am less picky about presentation than many. Even within my dynamic width themes, I try to fix the navigational elements as much as possible, because they can really look bad (lame at best, and abosolutely unintelligible at worst).

If I were building something more like a magazine site, I would probably opt for the fixed width at 800px, in order keep the presentation orderly and professional.

sunsnapper

Fixed width is OK for brochure sites that don't change much, though I still try to avoid it. Between 720 and 750 width is good I think. One thing you might want to do is print some of your pages at various widths to see what you think. If printing is important, you might look at something as narrow as 540, though probably not necessary.

I prefer Dynamic overall, with fixed width for some internal blocks. You just have to think about what you don't mind seeing change, and what must be fixed width. If you have blocks comprised of strict graphic layout, those are good elements to leave fixed width.

DobePhat
  • 2004/2/24 21:43

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks for all your feedback...

Another thing that prompted me to reconsider is...(gulp)
sites like MSN...which I found surprising to have a fixed width...
Because it's so content heavy. But also an influx of themes not using the right column blocks...(I like the right column option though)

Also, A lot of Online versions of Newspapers...tend to have a three column but fixed width format...as well...

A fixed width however (IMO) is not particularly pleasing for things such as forums, which are so text heavy....and the core of many a site...and this would probably mean not having the right side blocks displayed...

I'm still undecided....

I guess the best solution...is to have the fixed width as the default...
But have a one button option (using the call to theme selection) to switch the view to a dynamic theme!

The problem with this as I see it however...
means template manipulation would have to be kept to a minimum to keep some consistency: (unless there is alternate way to avoid that, I'm not aware of?)

Hmmmmmmmmm

Vargr
  • 2004/2/25 17:57

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

You should be able to set the fixed (or dynamic) width attributes using CSS, so perhaps it would all be a question of switching CSS and thenreload the page with the new CSS.

Just an idea though...

DobePhat
  • 2004/2/27 0:21

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Wow,
Its a night mare working from an existing theme and then converting it to a locked width. There are many variables to be aware of.

Templates not just Css will need to be refigured. It's really frusterating if you throw in some DHTML!

I may have to think more simply however....
Going to try starting from scratch....(the key is I don't want to change the templates too much, that way they are still compatable with most other themes.)..

Thanks for all your feedback...

Stewdio
  • 2004/2/27 3:35

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I used to use dynamic, but after nightmarish results across different platforms and varying screen resolutions, I decided on 796 fixed width.

Word of note, a good percentage of people still use 800x600 for various reasons. I know most of my family still uses lower resolution due to vision complicatins at higher resolutions. It's definately more safe to use and assures you the greatest consistancy from user to user.

Just my 2 XOOPS worth...

red_Slider

1. For screen resolution for users look on:http://www.ilovecolors.com.ar/detect-screen-size-css-style/
2. 800/600 - I know there are maybe old PC users, or Netbook users or whateverwhatucanhandle users - but on my site there is 1 (one) user on every 2500 pageviews with that screen resolutions.

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits