gridguy
Modifications made to my theme.html arent appearing ?
  • 2003/11/4 4:55

• gridguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/30

Newbie question so be gracious....

I am trying to edit the theme.html for a theme i borrowed and trying to change the top navigator bar to match my left nav bar - doh wut a concept...

<td width="100%" class="topnav">
<!-- navibar set -->
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/">Home</a>
&nbsp;•&nbsp;
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/xoopsfaq/">FAQ</a>
&nbsp;•&nbsp;
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/news/">News</a>
&nbsp;•&nbsp;
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/newbb/">Forums</a>
&nbsp;•&nbsp;
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/xdirectory/">Directory</a>
&nbsp;•&nbsp;
<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/search.php">Search</a>
</td>

is supposed to give me top horizontal nav bar like:

FAQ News Forums Directory Search

BUT is giving me the OLD one instead:

Home • News • Forum • Download • Search • Gallery

what am I forgetting or doing wrong? Do you have the REFRESH the theme or something ??? I cleared out IE browser cache so its not caching...

Any help appreciated.

netwize
Re: Modifications made to my theme.html arent appearing ?
  • 2003/11/4 5:01

• netwize

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/20

in your preference you need to "check" allow update from .html and theme files for it to refresh your updated files, else it will just use those in template.c

incama
  • 2003/11/12 20:19

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

,....or clear the template_c directory....

sunsnapper

As others mentioned, in System Admin | Preferences there is a setting that you can temporarily set to "yes" to allow changes to your theme directory to take effect immediately.

You should set this back to "no" once you are done with edits and taking the site live.

Also, clearing the files from the templates_c folder is good... these are cached copies of content which may be using the previous format.

However, you may also need to check your style.css file (as well as styleMAC and styleNN) to check your "topnav" class. It may be that the style (bulleted list?) is being set there.

Hope that helps.

tklopf
  • 2003/11/14 22:15

• tklopf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/14

I'm running XOOPS 2.0.5, and I'm experimenting with creating a module. However, when I make changes to a template, it REALLY isn't changing when I view the page. I deleted the files out of template_c, and also turned on the option in preferences to check for updated files. NOTHING IS WORKING to see these changes, short of uninstalling the module and reinstalling it. Is Smarty caching things somewhere else? Please help

mvandam
  • 2003/11/14 22:41

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

If I'm having problems, I usually do an 'update' of the module which compiles the new templates. If that fails, I delete the files from templates_c, then immediately do a 'update' of the module again. This has always worked for me. I think this will only work though if you are using the 'default' template set...

Per4orm
  • 2003/11/14 22:45

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

Are you updating the default templates, or have you generated a new set? Any changes you make to the default templates won't be saved, which might explain the problem. If this is the cast then you'll need to generate a new set and make chages to them instead.

sunsnapper

Per4orm is right. If you are trying to edit the default templates, XOOPS won't let you. To generate your own templates that you can then edit, go to
System Admin | Templates
and use the "Clone" option on the default template set.

GadgetMn
  • 2003/11/15 8:03

• GadgetMn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/15

When you update a template in a module you need to update the module so that it re-imports the changed template from the modules folder.

Xoops does not read the templates from this folder once it has been installed. On the modules page in admin, the first icon in the far right-hand column is update.

If you are then working from your own template set you will need to either re-generate the templates for the module or simply update the module in that template set.

Hope the helps,

GadgetMn

BradM
  • 2003/12/6 10:14

• BradM

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/14

This one drove me nuts too, but I figured out what I did wrong.

When I copied the existing "default" theme into my new theme, I forgot to make an important change: within the theme.html file, there are 5 references to the theme directory name.

So just change these instances of "default/" to whatever your new theme directory is called, and that should do it.

Brad

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits