qolspony
Re: Joomla Vs. Xoops
  • 2008/12/28 23:10

• qolspony

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/12

Drupal user, former XOOPS User.

I ran all my sites under XOOPS (a looooonnng time ago).

It was an easier CMS to configure and manage. I especially like the fact I could run a banner campaign.

Unfortunately, that all went to the wolves when I upgraded to 2.4. This was the coming of the end.

The platform had so many bugs that I could no longer gain control of the site structure.

Then someone introduce me to Drupal and I have not looked back.

It's really sad, because Xoop still offerred features that is not seen in the Drupal platform (without modification).

I also liked XOOPS for it simplisticy nature and it small size.

Because Drupal is so vast, the site often went down, but a solution was found to solve this problem.

Anyway, the downfall of XOOPS was the change of the development team and the lack of proper coordination of services.

EGO got in the way and everyone was trying to get their piece of the pie. As a result, the members who supported this platform were left hopeless.

It's a wonder that you guys didn't go out of business.

You were so far ahead of everyone else and now you hardly mentioned anywhere.

Joomla is a fairly new CMS and I have more hopes for it than XOOPS, because it has a great development team. But it is years behind DRUPAL.

*scratching my head* I don't know why I even brought that up.

Drupal is lacking in the forum integration area that attracted me to XOOPS.

But it can easily surpass XOOPS in this area with some modification.

Good luck XOOPS!

Chris
Protect The U.S. Constitution

iunderwood

Umm ... XOOPS 2.4 isn't even out. What are you talking about?

FWIW, I've looked at basic skeletal code for Joomla, and in some cases, it's a lot harder than it needs to be for simple stuff. The tutorials that I've been able to find for Joomla development aren't nearly as good as some of the ones that exist for XOOPS.

But that's my take on it.
++I;
Resized Image

blackrx
  • 2008/12/29 3:39

• blackrx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/2/5 1

i think he meant 2.24

eventhough i am quite new to this cms world....i have tried drupal and joomla but i still return back to xoops..

Quote:

Anyway, the downfall of XOOPS was the change of the development team and the lack of proper coordination of services.

EGO got in the way and everyone was trying to get their piece of the pie. As a result, the members who supported this platform were left hopeless.

agree with this..

it is really sad...

if we look here
http://xoops.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xoops/

there is little activity...

where is catzwolf ? phpp ? dhsoft ?

it it sad to see the dev team running away from XOOPS and working with other cms which is based on xoops..you know which cms i'm talking about right ? why can you guys work together in one platform...

i'm still with xoops..but i don't know for how long...i owe it a lot to XOOPS ..

hope dev team XOOPS to be strong as before one day..there is alot of knowledgeable and talented XOOPS module developer...why don't invite them to core team...

as example hervet, trabis, ghia, tank, etc

long live xoops

Mamba
  • 2008/12/29 7:36

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

blackrx, things are happening, even if they are not visible right away.

And yes, we're inviting others to join the Core Team, and XOOPS in general, incl. our Documentation Team, Translation Team, etc.

You probably missed that announcement, but just on Dec. 3rd, three weeks ago, we've announced that Simple-XOOPS will join forces with XOOPS , and will be the base for XOOPS 2.4, and the lead developer of Simple-XOOPS, Dirk Herrmann will join the Core Team, and will become the Lead Maintainer for XOOPS 2.3, and then the Lead Developer for XOOPS 2.4.

Phppp is working on XOOPS 3.0, which is planned to be released in first half of 2009.

And there will be more positive announcements in 2009

Wishing your Happy New Year! Long live XOOPS!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2008/12/29 7:54

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Chris,

Quote:
You were so far ahead of everyone else and now you hardly mentioned anywhere.

Well, it's not quite correct:

* 2008 Finalist in SourceForge Community Awards as Best Open Source Project
* 2008 Finalist in Packt as Best PHP CMS
* #6 spot at "CMS Top 40" of JahArt Studio list
* In November, XOOPS was ranked as #24 overall project ot SourceForge, and with that the #1 CMS project hosted at SourceForge

So we are consistently in the top 4-6 CMS projects in the world. Keeping in mind that we had to overcome couple of rough years, this is not bad.

XOOPS is definitely back, and is getting better.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dslchart
  • 2008/12/29 10:49

• dslchart

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2008/9/7 1

Quote:
XOOPS is definitely back, and is getting better.

Yes, XOOPS is back and the traffic is increasing.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/xoops.org?q=

congratulations, XOOPS community.

ghia
  • 2008/12/29 12:03

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
i think he meant 2.24
You mean 2.2.4?

bprado
  • 2008/12/29 12:29

• bprado

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2008/9/9 1

I was Joomla user, now i use XOOPS and i simple loved it, im a developer, but dont have like too much time to do personal stuffs, (job + personal business), but i will love to help, im from Panama, so my native language is spanish, how do i get into the translation team?

trabis
  • 2008/12/29 13:43

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

blackrx wrote:
agree with this..

it is really sad...

if we look here
http://xoops.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xoops/

there is little activity...

where is catzwolf ? phpp ? dhsoft ?

Well, I would not mind with SVN activity. XOOPS 2.3 just pop out from nowhere did not he? The work is done by one or to guys so there is no really need for using SVN all the time. When they have the job done they will commit all at once.

And I think you are mistaken about my skills. Being a module developer is not enough to develop a core. You could have 20 or 30 guys like me building a XOOPS fork and believe me, it would not be impressive. A core developer must know ALL about the core. Must dream, breed and bleed it. Must not know a way to do it, must know the best way to do it, ohhhh, such a difference! Long live phppp.

cadelite
  • 2008/12/29 14:20

• cadelite

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/15

I've used XOOPS, Joomla and Drupal. Drupal is the smallest in size but most complicated in details. Joomla has pretty GUI (IMHO, I think pretty GUI is important for web design and for attracting eyeballs. Hope XOOPS gets prettier and prettier. Nowadays beautiful GUI is crucial to commercial websites although the techniques are equally important) but its security is not as good as XOOPS and Drupal.

I tried to develop themes for Joomla but it seems more difficult than XOOPS (even compared to template-style themes of XOOPS). XOOPS' structure seems to be easier to be understood (maybe owing to its long history). In addition, the size of Joomla is getting larger. In fact, XOOPS has this trend too. I do hope the XOOPS developers should be concerned about not getting their file too large. Drupal is much smaller and easy to install. However, much works must be done to modification, adding modules, modifying themes, except you just setup your blog.

For community website, XOOPS is still the best choice. But for commercial website, much works must be done on the GUI, themes and easiness on installation (especially without the moving of XOOPS_data and XOOPS_lib by user maually). The incorporation of ajax and other Web 2.0 (or even Web 3.0) techniques are also important.

In China, some XOOPS 3.0 test sites are available and the new features are amazing. Thanks for phppp and all XOOPS developers. XOOPS is a masterpiece indeed.

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits