rocket98
Re: new Amazon module - features
  • 2005/1/13 22:39

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

Quote:

wtravel wrote:

I would like to know which features you would like to see added to a customized script for usage in xoops. For example I am thinking of adding a 'my favorite products' section and the possibility for registered users to add a review or comment.

Please let me know as programming will be starting within a week.

Regards,

Martijn

Feature request:

Hi Martijn, here is a request. Let me build a single product link as a block. The product would be picked by ASIN off Amazon site, any product. I only want to sell 3-5 different products on different pages based on where I show blocks, left, centre or right columns.

ie., Say I have newsfeeds coming in for a specific topic, hmmmmm... maybe something like soccer, then I would like to be able to find some individual products on amazon related to Soccer and plug those into blocks which might only be visible on my Feed page. Alternately if i have multiple feeds coming in on various topics I might want to place a Book, a Skill Saw or a Video camera on that Feed page... not an entire node catalog just individual items. The other stuff with the full meal deal on the amazon store is good as well, but give Admin's option to completely shut it down except for blocks with pre determined products coded by ASIN.

From Admin when I plug in the ASIN I should also be able to select between small, med, or a large images and wheather or not to display product info etc. Make this template based so guys like me who love tinkering are able to rearrange the screen a bit instead of being locked into one idea. Style it up with some css and leave it open.

I visited your site it looks great but too much like everything else out there. Give us some options to set up a few different blocks with live amazon feeds based on single ASIN's and you'll make a few heads turn. Every single one of these things I look at (with exception of a plug in for WordPress) expects the world to shop at your door, and it's not going to happen when a couple hundred thousand affiliates already use one product or another.

Just my thoughts on the topic in no particular order :)

Regards
rocket98

Talis
  • 2005/2/28 3:36

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

Is this still being supported? I haven't heard anything new and mine quit working.

hyperpod
  • 2005/2/28 4:57

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Yeah, I had a problem releasing xStore (an amazon module I built 6 months ago) because they released a new API that rendered all the code not very usefull... Along with several other problems, XOOPS admin block problems and the not so fun XOOPS admin headaches, I could never release xStore, which the public could use properly.

So it makes sense that there are no amazon modules yet... I know of a guy who was working on a XOOPS amazon module, so lets hope his efforts make it to public release. Hes a good programmer, so we might be in luck.

I just hope amazon doesnt change it all again like they have 2-3 times already.

They are evolving, but at the developers expense :(

If we can get enough donations in a pool, I would love to build an amazon module for the community.

Also, I can hook ANY website up with an amazon addon, my team, wrote... I dont wanna post the URL here, so msg me if interested.

It works with ANY site including XOOPS site and it is based on Amazon Web Services 3.0 (they are up to 4.0 now) ... but amazon has stated that they will keep it alive as long as possible... also, my solution is currently featured on Amazon.com... so you can find it there if you have an associates account.

Meanwhile, I have started a new Amazon XOOPS module based on Amazon ECS 4.0 using Rest (HTML over HTTP), but simply do not have time to work on it at this time.

I wish there was a XOOPS site that gets alot of traffic that would guaranteed to make money if they offered over 2,000,000 amazon products or maybe just books or video games... Then they could sponsor the project and and maybe we could release it to the XOOPS community... but alas, all the money in USA has gone to destructive efforts and now everyone is broke, oh well, life goes on.

My belief is that XOOPS and money can mix, with the right people involved. Too bad alot of people here think that open source free means no money... There are alot of XOOPS projects being hindered by this concept....

Free in Open Source means free to do whatever with the code, it does not apply to price.

Actual active sites with a large community would benefit greatly if good XOOPS module developers didnt have to work at Subway or the local construction yard.

Oh well, im just rambling on, but I hope I have enlightened a few. its not about money, its about surviving.

meanwhile, I must go find a second job delivering pizzas maybe.

Would you like extra sauce with that, sir?
We will be there in a half hour-45 minutes.

Thank you for ordering with us. Have a great day.

(Do i sound bitter, naaah, not me)

Hope we can work this problem out...I am not the only developer/programmer being hindered right now.

Best Regards,

wtravel

Hi Talisman,

Can you tell me what kind of errors you receive on which pages? My installation still works onhttp://www.worldtravelsite.com/modules/amzstore/, so it is not the Amazon change of standards.

Daniel, I know what you mean regarding the time issue. Due to study obligations and development of my site, I have not been able to do much (or better anything) on the Amazon module.

I will see if I can release the module source code to dev.xoops.org within a few weeks. Perhaps we can combine our programming skills in making an Amazon module that is really beneficial to the XOOPS community.

Regards,

Martijn

hyperpod
  • 2005/2/28 18:28

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

That sounds like a great idea.
I know of alot of site owners who need this.

What version of AWS or ECS is AMZStore using?

Cheers,

Talis
  • 2005/3/1 20:45

• Talis

• Just popping in

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
Hi Talisman,

Can you tell me what kind of errors you receive on which pages?

Well, I recently had to move my site from an independant Website host back to GoDaddy.com but since I even tried a complete reinstall and it still didn't work, I don't think the move is the issue but now I get some message about 'unable to access server, please refresh this page' (or something along those lines.)

I had to remove the module from public view until I can get it fixed.

wtravel

Daniel,

I used the latest AWS version, but just about when I finished coding they released the ECS version , so I would like to upgrade to the ECS version, which provides us a lot more functionality.
-----------------------

Talis,

It could be this one:
We apologize, there is a server error. Please refresh this page.

This error is caused by incorrect query strings or when the Amazon web services are down. Is it possible for you to create a test account for me with access to the module and php debug on?

Regards,

Martijn

Talis
  • 2005/3/3 13:16

• Talis

• Just popping in

I'll have to find time to reinstall. Will try and get around to it this weekend sometime.

gestroud
  • 2005/6/2 20:21

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

This is slightly on/off topic:

I've used two existing XOOPS modules to create some pretty functional Amazon shops on a couple of sites that I'm developing.

icontent was used to create a shop on this site.

cjaycontent was used on this site.

I used an Amazon.com-approved script created by a fellow named MrRat:http://www.mrrat.com/aws/. The script is free and allows me to use my Amazon.com Associate id, so any revenue generated is mine all mine!

gediminasbyt

I accidently came up to this link. Looks like they just released this amazonxoops module, too bad I can't read Japanese because after test install on my test XOOPS site everything was in Japanese. Any translators what's this module is and what it does?

Login

Who's Online

129 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 129

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits