Mithrandir
Re: Post your feature requests for the newBB

My point was that just saying "Make NewBB so it can do what IPB/PHPBB/vB can do" without specifying WHAT it is, those forums do well, is not really worth anything.

Give requests, say what you like and dislike about NewBB as well as IPB/PHPBB/vB so the Module Updater knows, what to do instead of just having to weed through a different forum and guess, what is so great about it.

Dave_L
  • 2003/12/11 0:09

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

My requests:

1) Ability to preview private messages.

2) Option to save a copy of a sent private message.

3) A relatively easy way of getting rid of the threaded/nested display modes, so that only the flat display mode is available. Having to edit a few files is ok, as long as the procedure is documented.

4) Integrate public and private forums by using a common access method. I.e., each forum's access is determined by who can access them and what rights they have.

5) Addition of a switchable "view" privilege for forums. A user with only the "view" privilege can see the name/description of the forum on the main forum page, but cannot "get into" the forum. A user without the "view" privilege for a forum will not see the forum at all.

6) Add a reply-only privilege for forums.

Ace_Armstrong

I've posted various suggestions that are scattered throughout this system, and I don't know how many I can remember or how many someone else mentioned and I forgot, but here are the ones I can remember:

1. Ability to allow anonymous posts by registered users on a per-thread or per-forum basis.

2. Ability to move a post (or post/children) to another existing thread or to a a new thread.

3. Integrate the polls/bb system

4. "Mark all messages in forum read/unread"

5. Quick reply

6. Batch upload of smilies

7. Ability to easily disable smilies and avatars

I know there's other stuff, but everyone else has probably posted it by now.

Per4orm
  • 2003/12/11 2:55

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

Although I understand that some of you like the threaded view option, I would hasten to bet that the majority of users on your sites just his the nearest "reply" button as opposed to replying to a particular thread, and do not enter a new subject into the subject field to identify their message.

I know this is the experience I've had with forums, which kind of detracts from a threaded view in the first place. If you now switch to threaded view on this forum, you will see a multitude of posts entitled "Re: Post your feature requests for the newBB".

So how do you tell what each post is about, or which post they were replying to in the first place? You can't, because 99% of users are not used to a threaded system, making it practically worthless, IMO.

With that in mind, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would weant to enforce a flat view upon their users. Notice that many XOOPS users go with PHPBB or IPB, which only offer a flat view. I don't know quite how it would work, as I know there are some reasons to keep the threaded view, which I respect, but the option to enforce flat, with only the one reply button as opposed to one per post, would be good.

God, it's late - I've been drinking, and that was a long post - my apologies!

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/11 4:16

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

I love the threaded view. Thats the only reason why I don't use other BBs. XOOPS Forum is not too light nor too heavy. It's just right.

lubdub
  • 2003/12/15 23:09

• lubdub

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/28

To have BBCode for something like
{quote=Author}

(that allow effects and a localized 'From the message of Author' thing)

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/16 4:19

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

It would be nice to be able to specify your language in your profile. This way, everything that is not your language will be translated for you in your langauge.

I know...all these request are getting ridiculous but you asked

supernix
  • 2003/12/16 4:32

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

It would be nice to have an email to forum gateway so that uses could get copys of the forum to their email box and could reply by email.

And it would be nice to enable to email full forum text on a per forum basis

regen_r8
  • 2003/12/16 13:50

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

This is the notion of better integration of private forums and group access. This has been on the table since 1.3.x...

Request:
1) Private Forum access by group
2) Integration of Private forum access into indexes
3) Integration of Private Forum Access into blocks
4) Integration of Private Forum Access into search

I already have these coded as a hack, and am happy to share.
Download from this site

On a separate note:

A search feature that would allow me to find new posts in threads that I have previously posted in would be a great addition.

--

I would like to see the icon sets integrate with the theme system better, although this is less important.

Cheers,

Regen_r8

nuker
  • 2003/12/16 13:55

• nuker

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/12/14

uploading of files.

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits