Kissaki
Where is the Project Management Quality
  • 2009/7/19 17:05

• Kissaki

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/16

Ok, quality assurance may also include project management quality.
Hopefully anybody here does organize what the XOOPS development community is doing.
If so, I couldn't find any info about that.

I’m confused.
I can’t commit to the sf svn directly,
the patch tracker has several months old items which are
open and have not a single comment,
the dev.xoops.org site tells me to apply after registering,
but registration is closed,
the wiki linked to from the top navigator is even dead (missing i),
the sf mailing list on sf is full of spam messages,
the task manager in sf has months and years old overdue
tasks which are not complete,
the sf wiki has a rather "interesting" layout,
the sf wiki tells me about joining the core dev team "coming
soon..." since 2007 as the history shows,

Is XOOPS still being developed?
How and where do you organize?

And why is there 3 wikis?
The one on dev.xoops.org,
the one on xoops.org,
and the one on sourceforge.
And even worse, it seems the wishlists for 2.3 and 3.0 are used in 2 places: on sf and here. And those don't have the same content. So no same DB in the backend or sth…

There's way too many places ppl can go for.

I get the impression there is absolutely no or way to few project development and organizing going on here.
If I just got the wrong impression, tell me.

I thought about contributing…
Core, modules and translating to German.
But I can’t even find a starting point.

I hope someone is still willing to answer me after such an evil posting :)
regards

sailjapan
Re: Where is the Project Management Quality

er hem...

Over to you, Devs.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

trabis
  • 2009/7/20 12:48

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Well, you are correct but I don't have other answer for you.
For what concerns to me, Core team must have a serious talk about the roadmap and how to work has a Team. This serious talk must take place within 10 days. This 2.4(supposed to be 2.3.4) that is about to be released will split the 'team' and that is due to a missing roadmap assisted by a missing leadership. Project without roadmap is like country without laws. It's like running for your life and taking the much you can. We need laws and cops even in free countries.

Kissaki
  • 2009/7/21 20:08

• Kissaki

• Just popping in

Yeah, I hope I started a reorganization/management with my pointing out those things, if not planned or started yet anyway.

How many active ppl are currently involved in XOOPS planning/management and development?

trabis
  • 2009/7/21 20:58

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

RotzKotz_ere wrote:
How many active ppl are currently involved in XOOPS planning/management and development?

In theory we should be around 10, in practice we are around 0.
0 is a pretty round number but it is missing the leading 1.

You see, number one is a very important one. When number one is not around all the 0 can do on its own is: 0.

I hope to see number one step in or step out. there are other numbers on the line.

btesec
  • 2009/7/21 21:55

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

Yeah, this is very funnyyy. We need to get ourselves together. Where are we going? We need to operate open not loose. let's hear whats going on with the teams.

sailjapan

Where's DJ?
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

tcnet
  • 2009/7/25 3:11

• tcnet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/5/12

I read a Wishcraft comment where he stated that DJ had asked him to fill in while DJ was busy with work.

Of course I can't find it now because comments can't be searched.

Mamba
  • 2009/7/25 6:59

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

@ RotzKotz_ere: we don't use the mailing lists, forums, or the Wiki on SourceForge. So several of them are outdated. Maybe we should shut them down, so we can avoid confusion. I'll look into it. It didn't help that they did a total redesign, and a lot of functionality is missing or not working.

Quote:
We need to operate open not loose. let's hear whats going on with the teams.

Well, we are Open Source, so everybody is more than welcome to join any team and contribute. And we've been inviting everybody to join again and again.

Below is current status of the teams:

Core Team
Basically only Trabis and Wishcraft. DJ is absent due to his workload on the new job, and is very hard to reach. If he doesn't return soon, the Core team will have to decide who will take his role to lead further development of XOOPS.

Modules
We've asked many times for help. Finally Catzwolf started some work on building the team (see here ), and initiated the Blue Move, but recently left due to health reasons. I am aware of only one person (ForXoops) in addition to Catzwolf, who was working on the Blue Move (ForXoops has updated the XoopsPartner module).

Documentation Team
GPBoarder is working on the Installation Manual, and Hakim offered to help. Otherwise, no work is being done. I was in touch with Michelle, who used to work on in the past on XOOPS Documentation, but I didn't hear back from her for several weeks now, so I guess, she changed her mind.

The same on the FAQ and Wiki. We need there help to update the content.

Design
Kris was leading this team, but is missing in action for several months.

Eduardo, since he is working on the new theme for www.xoops.org, will hopefully enlist other developers to work together, and hopefully this will be the new Design Team.

The Design Contest for XOOPS Giftshop didn't really work out.

Marketing/PR Team
That's what pretty much I'm doing. I need help with translation of press releases and news.
We also started the "Spread XOOPS Project", but without much success due to time constraints. Hopefully, after XOOPS gets its new theme, we'll be able to use it there as well.

Support Team
We need more people. The main source of Support is Ghia, and I'm sure we have more people who could help, and least with the trivial questions..

International Support
Things are moving again in XOOPS France, and this very encouraging, as XOOPS France was historitically always one of the strongest XOOPS local support sites. XOOPS Nordic, and XOOPS Germany are also more active, as is XOOPS China.

But we need more translators!

So this is the status.

Bottom line - WE NEED HELP! I really don't know, how often and how loud do we need to say it - this is Open Source, and we need your help!!!

Please get involved based on your strengths, expertise, and area of interest.

Please help us in making XOOPS the best CMS it can be.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Kissaki
  • 2009/7/25 8:12

• Kissaki

• Just popping in

Quote:
Maybe we should shut them down, so we can avoid confusion.

It’s NOT maybe!
You have to, as soon as possible.
It only spreads redundancy, confusion and misinformation.

I don't know where to discuss reoganisation further, but I'm posting a big post in the XOOPS site redesign topic:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=314240#forumpost314240

Edit by Ghia: Link corrected.

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits