Watchmanz
Modules problems
  • 2009/4/6 21:26

• Watchmanz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/11

Firstly, apologies if this has been dealt with somewhere - I searched for it but couldn't find any solution, hence these questions.

FORUMS
I have tried two modules: CBB (newbb) and X-forum. When I install CBB it installs correctly, I click on the link from the site as a user and I get a blank screen (status "done") and nothing else. When I install X-forum, I get an error message saying:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method MyTextSanitizerExtension::getinstance() in /home/public_html/Frameworks/textsanitizer/module.textsanitizer.php on line 215
All I want is working forums - what I thought would be the easiest module to get working, is causing me the greatest headaches. Anyone care to help out a XOOPS newbie?

GAMES
I installed the 'freegames' module. Again, everything installed successfully. When I go to it as a user I get a black square with white space inside.

CHAT
I would welcome suggestions as to the best module to use - they all seem to have been written so long ago. I'm just after a site-integrated non-popup chat.

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this XOOPS thing .... hahaha .... shows I still have soooo much to learn.

Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.

DonCurioso
Re: Modules problems

Welcome Watchmanz!!!

First time... please, post here versions of Xoops, PHP & modules you´ll try to use...

CBB works fine... i don´t know why in your case can´t work (maybe an unsolved misterious of Xoops?) hehehe

GAMES---> No idea man. I can´t help u with this, sorry.

CHAT---> An unnoficial XOOPS "developer" has integrated an IRC Chat Module. We´re testing yet because this person did bad things on the past ( very near past ), but we think&trust that he did adquired a good compromise with this, so, you can visit www.arxoops.com.ar & try to get this module (register required, if you don´t understand spanish, we can give you a link to dl)

A good suggestion... try to read This helps a lot

Regards
HispaXoops | Xoops España

That's the way i like it! | Nada mejor que una Alhambra bien helada con aceitunas...

Watchmanz
  • 2009/4/6 22:32

• Watchmanz

• Just popping in

Sorry, XOOPS version is the latest (2.3.3). PHP version is 5.2.6. I did post the names of the modules .... (FORUMS: Cbb and X-forum, GAMES: freegames).

I have read heaps which is why I've got as far as I have already with very few questions - I've searched for the answers to these problems and can't find any solutions ... that's why I asked in here - that's what the forum is for lol.

The IRC chat sounds interesting although I'd prefer not to use IRC if possible. Still, if you could send me a DL link that would be awesome - thanks.

zyspec
  • 2009/4/6 22:56

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Watchmanz,

Both of these modules require the separate installation of the XOOPS Frameworks. Depending on which version of CBB you're using I believe there may also be additional dependencies.

Watchmanz
  • 2009/4/6 23:26

• Watchmanz

• Just popping in

Thanks zyspec. I should have mentioned that I did download and install XOOPS Frameworks (default installation) as well as xoopseditor. Maybe it's in the config there that I missed something (even the readme seemed as complicated as anything).

All modules being added are latest versions direct from the modules download area of this site.

Hmmm, ok, guess I may need to look at reinstalling those and see if it makes a difference

ghia
  • 2009/4/6 23:38

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

NewBB/CBB is the one here on XOOPS.org and is very good. X-forum and NewBBex are less complicated and feature rich.
After installing modules, you have to set module group permissions to allow access, posting, etc by the various user groups.
If you use a language other than english, make sure you have the language files for the module. If not, copy the english ones to the created other language directory.
Activate also in the preferences the option for php debug, this will give additional info with error messages of the problem.
For chat (check also if your hoster allows it, because many don't like chat), there are some in the module repository and there is aChat, shoutbox, khat, webchat and tchat/flashchat
Quote:
Thanks zyspec. I should have mentioned that I did download and install XOOPS Frameworks (default installation) as well as xoopseditor.
XOOPS 2.3.3 contains already the part of Frameworks needed for NewBB/CBB 3.08 (/art). Also the editors are already present. To activate them, alter in /xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/xoops_editorlist.php the nohtml parameter from NULL to 1 for the required editors. They will be available in the dropdown for editor selection when editing a forum post.
If you upload the Frameworks, make sure to not overwrite the standard XOOPS 2.3.3 files or do an upload of this directory of XOOPS 2.3.3 again. Verify with the file check that all files are present and uploaded correctly (see release notes).

Watchmanz
  • 2009/4/7 1:41

• Watchmanz

• Just popping in

Hi Ghia, thanks for the advice. I have printed your advice out and followed it carefully, step by step, except one thing I cannot find.

1. The NewBB/CBB module v3.0.8 is installed without problem.
2. I reuploaded the Frameworks and then reuploaded the standard XOOPS 2.3.3 Frameworks files over it to make sure everything is ok there.
3. I have activated the php debug option in CBB preferences as you suggested.
4. Language is English only.
5. I set up categories and forums, group permissions, and the default permission template in CBB.

So far, everything is great. The only thing I can't do is find /xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/xoops_editorlist.php to alter the editor permissions. I searched the entire server and my hard drive for a file called editorlist.php but can't find it anywhere! I have files called xoopseditor.php etc but not xoops_editorlist.php

If you wouldn't mind helping me out with this (it's probably as obvious as anything but I'm missing it) I would be grateful.

Once I have followed your instructions for that file, I can then test everything and see if I still get error messages, or whether that's fixed the issue.

In the meanwhile, I'll take a look at your chat module suggestions. Thanks!

EDIT: Forums working perfectly now. Thank you so much! I can only imagine it was something to do with the Frameworks files. Now I can get onto the chat and other modules.

You guys rock! I love the excellent support to found here. Joom-who?

ghia
  • 2009/4/7 9:11

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

The file is created, when you do actually edit a first post or using the standard dhtml editor in any module.

For the freegames, this is not much a module, it acts as an iframe to the authors' site, where the flash games no longer seems active. Try FlashGames

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits