seth_sd
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/8/29 4:00

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:
Thank you DJ for the clarification. It is much appreciated.

Clarification? What has been clarified exactly? That we need more inaction and debate over things that are already in place? I think my head is going to explode!
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Mamba
  • 2007/8/29 5:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
Uhhh, English support site? That seems rather redundant unless you are going to convert this project to another language.

Seth

Agree! there is no need for Xoopsinfo.org or any other individual Websites. Let's stop the fragmentation of XOOPS and let's work on keeping the information in one logical location (doesn't have to be physically the same one).

http://forums.xoops.org is just fine by me.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

hervet
  • 2007/8/29 6:32

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

To come back to the original question, the less forums you have, the best it is.

Xoops is made of 5 things, the core, the module, the themes, some hacks and (no) documentation.

So you have 5 forums.

debianus
  • 2007/8/29 7:40

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

It has not sense to think about designing a room if there are no plans about the building.

MadFish
  • 2007/8/29 8:27

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

So as far as I understand this (for better or worse):

1. Xoopsinfo has no official site status and isn't going to be the official support site.

2. The forums on xoops.org are going to remain here (so in practical terms, xoops.org will stay the official support site). However, they will be restructured.

3. DJ's response *implies* that this is an official thread and that input will be looked at. Sometimes, I wish you would be a bit more direct, if things were clearer we would spend less time talking in circles!

Or have I got it wrong?

kc0maz
  • 2007/8/29 14:09

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

I have put my comment here as this is somewhat related

In Response to Madfish comment here.
Quote:

I would like to propose that a formal mechanism be developed by which community members can submit proposals to improve xoops.org, have them passed onto the relevant teams / decision maker / council, and reviewed.

aye, this is a great idea.

I would like to couple this with SailJapan's idea of a ticket system. and Dave_L idea of suggestion (rather than complaint) forum When a suggested is submitted, the person gets a ID number to reference back to.

The Community Coordinators, can then combine suggestion ID numbers of similar nature and submit them all to the responsible group for action or dismissal.

This takes care of two things I see missing here,
One is feedback, you should know where your suggestion is at, or what action is being taken
Second is giving credit where credit is due. If John submits an idea that helps the community, then we should acknowledge him in someway.

There is a pitfall The Community Coordinators in some cases is a little more than a conduit, While we can pass suggestions on to the council, the foundation, a team, or a person, we can't force them to take action or even read it. Some ideas require also require a bit of research and/or discussion before an answer can be reached.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

homergz
  • 2007/8/29 14:34

• homergz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/21

Quote:

debianus wrote:
It has not sense to think about designing a room if there are no plans about the building.

I could not have stated this better(and I am a writer)!

sailjapan

Any more comments?
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

skenow
  • 2007/8/31 1:47

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Quote:

kc0maz wrote:

That is correct. Community discussions will take place on XI for things like theme and module development and review.

Simply put anything that says community support sites you can put Xoopsinfo.

So, to summarize -

@xoops.org
XOOPS Core Support
* XOOPS Troubleshooting
* XOOPS Installation
* XOOPS Upgrade or Migration
* XOOPS General Usage

Site Forums
* XOOPS.org Site Issues and Feedback

@ sourceforge.net
XOOPS Core Development
* XOOPS Bug Reports
* XOOPS Feature Requests

@ forums.xoops.org, community.xoops.org or portal.xoops.og (currently @ xoopsinfo.com)
* everything else

We understand one of the big issues was in the name of our site.... "Why not forum.xoops or community.xoops?" ... well the answer is - why not? We have, in fact, offered to do this before. A simple re-direct from forum.xoops to our site is all it would have taken.

MadFish
  • 2007/8/31 2:46

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

1. Agree with Herve's point about keeping the forum structure as simple as possible:

Quote:
Xoops is made of 5 things, the core, the module, the themes, some hacks and (no) documentation.

Suggest adding the 'suggestions' forum mentioned previously, and not having a 'complaints' forum (similar thing but think positive!)

2. I suggest NOT including the following from the O.P. because they are already handled through comments on the news stories:
* Module reviews
* Theme reviews

Alternatively, if you want to have these as forums then news stories should have comments *disabled* and include a link to direct the discussion to the relevant forum.

3. I think xoops.org needs to make up its mind whether its going to be a 'core support only' site or not. If it is, then the following forums should also be dropped:
* Module usage
* Module hacks and improvements.

Of course, if xoops.org is going to continue to be core + third party modules then it would be helpful to have a formal decision about it. There is a great deal of confusion about 'community' vs 'project', and these terms are being used in an arbitrary (and frankly, quite unhelpful) manner at the moment.

Realistically, if xoops.org has non-core forums on it then its going to continue to be a community site. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that the people that are trying to pretend that its 'project only' should stop.

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 108

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits