scriptkiddie
Re: Xoops/PHP Myspace Gold

Okay then what you are saying is that I can buy "commercial" themes from the designers here as well as the "commercial" mods here and then turn around and release them under the GPL for everyone to download FREE????

Is that what you are saying?

It sounds like it....and I must say I think that is going to open a whole can of worms that this XOOPS community or any other GPL community does not want or need.

I am talking about the modules that are created as commercial and themes for sale.

Herko
  • 2006/7/26 19:04

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

scriptkiddie wrote:
Okay then what you are saying is that I can buy "commercial" themes from the designers here as well as the "commercial" mods here and then turn around and release them under the GPL for everyone to download FREE????

Is that what you are saying?

Where do you find me saying this? The free is as in freedom, not gratis. The freedom to redistribute, the freedom to sell, the freedom to change and the freedom to include it in other scripts. That's what the GPL is all about.

Quote:
It sounds like it....and I must say I think that is going to open a whole can of worms that this XOOPS community or any other GPL community does not want or need.

I am talking about the modules that are created as commercial and themes for sale.

Note: themes are different: HTML code should be released, use of images in themes may be restricted because of inherent copyrights.

As for commercial modules, can you get me a list of commercially available XOOPS modules? I haven't seen many. Or any for that matter. So in my (maybe limited) perspective, it's just an empty can without any worms.

And it has been this way from the start of the XOOPS community, so the shock will be... minor at best.

But as I said, its a position the XOOPS Foundation takes now, and debate about this is good. Based on the available arguments however, we have come to the current position.

Herko

scriptkiddie

My point is...I myself have taken stand alone scripts and converted them to modules for some of the members here.

I have also created new modules for some of the members here however now I am not so sure that I am going to sell them or distribute them if just anyone can take my hours of working on these and distribute them for free. If I have 60 hours into creating a new module for a member or a new theme, I'll be #OOPS#ed if I am giving it away. I just would not release it at all period! I mean the scripts I have converted will run without xoops.

I seen in this same thread talk about taking software that apparently no one knows anything about (including me) and offering themes and modules for download for free. I think more research needs to be done as there are those that read these threads and will form an opinion into thinking that its okay to distribute works from someone else just because they read about it in this forum.

I will have to research but if my memory is correct there were modules that came with XOOPS that were not GPL. They were licensed different.

Bender
  • 2006/7/26 21:40

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Just a small reminder that we had more gpl discussions in the past.

e.g. this one
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

MadFish
  • 2006/7/27 2:41

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I suggest that people just take a couple of minutes to read the GPL. It's pretty clear.

Quote:
I have also created new modules for some of the members here however now I am not so sure that I am going to sell them or distribute them if just anyone can take my hours of working on these and distribute them for free. If I have 60 hours into creating a new module for a member or a new theme, I'll be #OOPS#ed if I am giving it away. I just would not release it at all period! I mean the scripts I have converted will run without xoops.

Why? You're using XOOPS, which you got for free of charge, and which has zillions of hours put in by community members. If nobody shared their work, XOOPS would not exist. So why not give something back? There are many other ways to make money out of XOOPs beyond simply selling stuff. Paid support, customisation, etc etc.

Distributing your work will help you build up a large user base (think, potential customers)...

Herko
  • 2006/7/27 6:35

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

And nobody is asking you to give your work away for free. Please read my post carefully: it's about granting freedom to use the code as the user sees fit, not about giving the code away for free. You can get paid for [i]your services[/b], which is the added value you yourself add to the code: design, development, customisation, implementation, hosting, training, support etc. The only thing you can't ask money for is licensing that restricts the use of your code.

So, and example that does exist would be that you're commissioned to create a module for some client, and are paid for your service as usual. You distribute the code to your client, under the terms of the GPL. This means that the client is free to do with the code whatever he or she wants, without restrictions. The only term is that the client can do the same: no restrictions on others. This is what the freedom of the GPL, and the open source movement is all about.

The old business model is too much based on the restrictive license that creates a dependancy on the license holder that has nothing to do with added value. The new business model is based on added value services, which sets you apart from your competitors.

Herko

spoilerhead
  • 2006/7/27 6:38

• spoilerhead

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/27

maybe someone of the Devs/Admins could report dohttp://gpl-violations.org/ ?

Herko
  • 2006/8/18 18:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Thanks everyone who have sent me their correspondance with popscript/webmasterof/phpmyspacegold.com. I *need* to get any and all messages sent to popscript, especially the ones regarding the similarities with XOOPS, and the terms of the license under which they distribute (read: sell) their phpmyspace gold software. If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Also see this thread about the same issue. The XOOPS Foundation is working with the Software Freedom Law Center to get this issue resolved one way or another.

Herko

geeklet
  • 2006/9/7 13:56

• geeklet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/6 2

Cool. But can someone help out those of us who want to use XOOPS to run something like phpmyspace but w/o purchasing that piece of sh*t?

Like, has someone devised a script for XOOPS that does runs like MySpace, Tribe, etc?

TIA and good luck with the Intellectual Property fights!!

preachur
  • 2006/12/8 9:09

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

ummmm.... Dotcombuilder auctions are actually a hacked version of everyauction that they created templates for. It's all in perl and they are pretty functional for what they are. They ignore credits back to the original creators, so I don't feel bad grabbing their stuff out of script dumps and using it without paying.

I also grabbed the nullified phpmyspacegold out of a dump to check it out. Doesn't work at all. I was hoping to use some parts of it to hack together a groups module, but nothing looks useable.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits