MadFish
Re: Get your Xoops for only $149.97.
  • 2006/6/25 16:27

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Sigh...let's not get stuck into flame wars again. We just spent 12 months doing that and it sucked...it's over now...

JMorris
  • 2006/6/25 16:34

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Agreed.

Could someone who has purchased this software please send the source files to a member of the Management Team? Our email addresses are in our profiles.

It is rather obvious that this is a deliberate violation of the GNU/GPL license, but without hard evidence (i.e.: the source files), there's little we can do about it.

Thank you,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

schuris
  • 2006/7/10 0:40

• schuris

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/10

I have It and 68 mods that go with and all there templates to.

Who do I send it to and whay files do they need.

Schuris

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
Agreed.

Could someone who has purchased this software please send the source files to a member of the Management Team? Our email addresses are in our profiles.

It is rather obvious that this is a deliberate violation of the GNU/GPL license, but without hard evidence (i.e.: the source files), there's little we can do about it.

Thank you,

James

Bender
  • 2006/7/10 0:48

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Send it to jmorris ... he can forward it accordingly.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

schuris
  • 2006/7/10 0:49

• schuris

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/10

I came across this site looking for some kind of a forum on editing there software.
I can edit most but in there ad it states Its a clone but it will not allow the user to change the profile like myspace.(background,ect)
It only let me setup themes they can change for themselfs.
So I thought I would look around on the net and see if there was any help forums for this software.
Thats when I saw this site.

Schuris

Chappy
  • 2006/7/10 1:06

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I agree with your sentiments. My concern is on two levels: First, that XOOPS may get a black eye by not taking a more intentional and proactive stance against this illegal activity, and two, that those who are buying their "product" are having faud perpetrated against them at a pretty costly rate.

Let me add, as well, that your work for XOOPS is greatly appreciated whether or not we might have slightly different views on this matter. Moreover, I am grateful for JMorris stepping in to turn off the namecalling. Your response, Madfish, was totally on target. It feels like more and more people are back helping folks in the forums and it's gratifying to see.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Herko
  • 2006/7/10 8:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Send the files to me, please. I'll get the Foundation to investigate, and take appropriate action if necesasry.

Herko

Shine
  • 2006/7/10 8:47

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

I definately would like to receive a copy of your purchased files Schuris. Please send it to: shine2[@]chello.nl
That way I can see what they have done to my developed addresses module (which they have cloned several times into other mods) and see which license they have included.

Also, I have contacted them, but after receiving 1 time answer and asking some other questions I've never received an answer anymore.

Here is a copy Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006:

Goodday,

Q: I stumbled into your demowebsite (http://thedemoserver.com/modules/news/ ) and it looks quit interesting. Therefore I would like to receive some information because I have seriously interests in hosting and implementing some scripts within the sytem you are offering.
I hope to receive some information on my questions below:
Q: What kind of basicsystem is the website running on and what are the costs?

A: The system is written in PHP and uses 1 MySQL database. There is a listing on this at one of our sister sites here:http://webmasterof.com/view_item.php?ItemID=12&CategoryID=19&SubcategoryID=14
There are more plugins and templates that can plugin to the software here:
http://www.phpmyspacegold.com/

Q: I am interested in implementing the scripts restaurants and hotels. What do these scripts cost?

A: These you referred to are available on the membership site at the address above, however they are also included in the software called "Community Portal" (listing for this software is here:http://webmasterof.com/view_item.php?ItemID=12&CategoryID=19&SubcategoryID=14)

Q: Will the system and the scripts on a regular bases being maintained and updated by you?
If I am interested in only the system and the specific scripts can I also buy them without the obligation to host at you? If so what are the costs?

A: No one needs to host with us. We just provide it for those that either need a good free hosting account or for those that want free hosting without restrictions.

Q:Last but not least, if I buy the system and mentioned scripts may I use them more then once?

A. The software listing is for 1 license (1 website) however there are deep discounts for more than one license like 75% off the second (that is like $37.50 for the second copy)
I hope that helps.

============================

It is strange to read that the software listing is just for 1 license!! Vive Open Source and abusing it by these kind of folks.

Shine
  • 2006/8/7 9:45

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Received the package.
After a quick look:
All XOOPS credits and the main license has been removed.
Within several original xoopsmodules also the credits& license have been removed.
Is this legal?

I cannot find out what XOOPS version they have used and spread. The directory templates is missing, therefore I'd think it is 1.38 (?)

Herko
  • 2006/8/7 13:05

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Shine, could you please forward all your correspondance with webmasterof/popscript/phpmyspacegold.com and anyone else about this issue to me (herko at XOOPS dot org), I'm investigating legal action and can use any clues as to whet they're doing and who are behind this. Of course, all information will be treated as confidential.

I've contacted the Software Freedom Law Center and they're assisiting the XOOPS Foundation in finding out who done what and determine the appropriate action.

Removing credits and copyrights from the file headers is illegal, as it is against the terms of the GPL.

Do you have a copy of the license they distribute their package?

Herko

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits