cm2339
Web site capture tool
  • 2006/8/7 17:53

• cm2339

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/21

Can anyone recommend a tool that will allow us to take a snapshot of our web site? We need the entire web site captured and available for off-line viewing.

Sure, we could install apache, php & MySQL and perform a backup & restore of the entire system on the machine but that's not what we are looking to do.

We want the site to be "flat files" and available in an archive format. As an example, our web site was exactly like this on a specific date (navigation and all content).

Please let me know if you know a tool that could help.

gestroud
Re: Web site capture tool
  • 2006/8/7 18:13

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

This one is pretty good

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Bender
  • 2006/8/7 18:25

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Maybe try this one. I bookmarked it once but never tested it myself.

HTTrack Website Copier

Basicly it will convert your website into a static one and converting the links accordingly. However it will be within a folder structure but you can browse it with a webbrowser than just like your real site.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

gestroud
  • 2006/8/7 18:51

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Good call, bender. I skimmed through the original post without paying enough attention to details.

HTTrack Website Copier is an excellent product - been using it for about two years with no complaints. Pretty straightforward and easy to use.

tedsmith
  • 2006/8/7 20:22

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

My recommendations are

Black Widow - BlackWidow is a multi-function internet tool. It is a web site downloader, site mapping tool, site ripper, site mirroring tool, website scanner and an offline browser. Use it to scan a site, and create a complete profile of the site's structure, files etc. I use it at work for capture of websites conducting fraudulant activities. Quote:
As an example, our web site was exactly like this on a specific date...
- and that is why I use it at work!

Then there is WebZip. Arguably more user friendly and would probably suit your needs better seeing as what you have described you need. Enables full offline navigation on CD or whatever,

Hope that helps.

cm2339
  • 2006/8/11 0:42

• cm2339

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/21

Thanks All!

I plan to try several of them over the wekend and I'll report back next week on progress.

Another board sugested WGet (a UNIX tool as I understand it), as a way to get the information.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Djiman
  • 2006/8/11 6:48

• Djiman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/26

One extra tool, if no one has mentioned it.:
which is one very good tool! Visithttp://www.primopdf.com/ . I use for making pdf, from one page to multi pages.
It goes thru the printers port - you simple create any thing or doc in any application , -you hit print and select your printer- in this case it will be the pdf creator , and it will create your pdf.
It is a very small prog - freeware and my preferred choice to make pdf.

chadm
  • 2006/9/9 11:24

• chadm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/29

For whatever reason I have been unable to log into my old account (CM2339), so here I am with a new acount...

I finally completed the task of archiving our site and it looks like HTTrack gets our vote. The other tools mentioned worked but with "quirks."

HTTrack has it's own quirks but we have found the best results with that one so far.

Sorry for the delayed post but I wanted to complete the thread with a follow up message.

Thanks once again to everyone who made a suggestion.

See you in the forums...

Chad

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits