Norne
Is this serious?!!
  • 2006/8/22 23:01

• Norne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/8 1

I'm new to Xoops, but I have already migrated 3 small sites and I was planning to start 2 big ones. I like the way XOOPS comes without any preinstalled modules, and I like the way it's themed. I have started these smaller sites with News, Weblinks and myAlbum, and I have had no problems what so ever.

The documentation is hard to find and the website is not very well organized, but somehow I have made my way aroud it, and I have been happy!

BUT: I tried the Magazine module, and it didn't show, so I looked around the support forum. I found this explanation by "tzvook" dated 2006/5/3:

Quote:
The "magazine" won't work with php 5, and the whole XOOPS installation is acting bad ...

Honestly - If that is the case, you should have printed it in BIG RED LETTERS on the front page of the XOOPS website! Half the servers running PHP are upgraded to PHP5 by now, so this information is of common interest!

So what would you suggest? Should I contact my clients about the installations I have already finished and tell them that this is not going to work, so we need to migrate to Drupal or Joomla? I wouldn't even consider downgrading PHP, so that may be the only way to avoid looking like a fool because of this.

But judging by the numbers, there must be others out there running XOOPS on PHP5? I would appreciate to hear what problems you have experienced, so I can get an outline of what to expect...

Swain
Re: Is this serious?!!
  • 2006/8/22 23:20

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I would say your problem is just with that particular module. I run PHP5 and have never encountered any problems because of it. If you go with Drupal or Joomla, you are going to wind up losing in the long run in my opinion as both are severly lacking in several areas XOOPS is not. Find another module like magazine, or have someone create one would be my advice.

Tabasco
  • 2006/8/22 23:29

• Tabasco

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/26

Quote:

Swain wrote:
I would say your problem is just with that particular module. I run PHP5 and have never encountered any problems because of it. If you go with Drupal or Joomla, you are going to wind up losing in the long run in my opinion as both are severly lacking in several areas XOOPS is not. Find another module like magazine, or have someone create one would be my advice.

Ditto

Norne
  • 2006/8/22 23:58

• Norne

• Just popping in

Yes, XOOPS seemed to be what I have been looking for all the time...

I started out years ago with Nucleus (it was a very good CMS at the time), then Mambo because I needed the Mambo-shop module for a project, and it became a habit. I turned to Joomla after the break-up from Mambo, but it was never really my choice. It's big and slow and it comes with tons of preinstalled irrelevant modules that can't be uninstalled, and a very messy TinyMCE editor is also in the core. I have never liked it, just used it. I have used Drupal too. It looks a lot like Xoops, but it's not very stable, and they don't care much about quality control... And I run into trouble with the multibyte fonts as soon as I started translating Drupal into Norwegian.

So I felt at home when I logged into XOOPS for the first time. The databases looked just fine, even if the user logged in as Ødegård... (this normally works fine in article text, but it messes up if it is used as login and sometimes also if it's used in section names).

I felt comfortable, and I would really like to make it work. But I couldn't make Protector work either... So I was thinking that it might be a PHP issue? Are you using Protector with PHP5?

Swain
  • 2006/8/23 0:29

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I do not use Protector myself as I am pretty comfortable with my server's security. I know of others that use it however with PHP5.

Norne
  • 2006/8/23 2:02

• Norne

• Just popping in

OK... I wrote an extensive .htaccess, and it seems to be running without any problems. I hope that will do the trick.

I have been looking for a captcha to prevent comment spam, because in other software that becomes a problem after a while. I don't know if it will be a problem here, but just in case... I couldn't find a module for it, - but on the other hand: I haven't seen any discussions about the need for one either, so I don't know...

I would like to let anybody comment on the articles. Is there a way to automatically IP-ban spammers, like checking against a blacklist on some other server? (It used to be jay-allen blacklist, but that one is gone and no longer supported)

How do you secure your websites without Protector, and are there any known issues that I should be aware of?

(Hmmm... Swain doesn't really count here, - I assume that he runs his own server and is in control. I'm on hosted servers, and I don't really know much about the security there. I don't trust anybody )

Bassman
  • 2006/8/23 2:49

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Norne, take a look at this thread, which discusses captchas and gives a download location for a captcha module.

svaha
  • 2006/8/23 7:15

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

The links seem to be death
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

jensclas

Quote:
The documentation is hard to find and the website is not very well organized, but somehow I have made my way aroud it, and I have been happy!

I sympathise with your concerns but be advised the community is trying to address them through the documentation site, a revamped home for xoops.org and the FAQ's have been brought as much up to date as possible. The documentation site has been set up so that there can be appropriate and updated contributions about modules in the workspace. It is unfortunately dependent on people having time.

You need to remember that XOOPS is open source, and as such some developers come and go and contributors make use of free time to update and upgrade modules and information - we depend very much on developers to do the right thing with their modules but it doesn't always happen. Our modules repository is an area that is going to get attention.

So...the best advice and safest bet for all users is to run a quick search on a module before they install it and check the FAQ section on modules. do the research first - see this FAQ. If is is not 'recent' then search to be forearmed with information and possible hiccups before installing it.

Recently updated modules are being announced through our news section and the latest release of XOOPS and the documentation website are key points for finding up to date modules.

HTH - and I hope some more people take the time to help develop the documentation site - it needs contributions

jensclas

@ svaha

Quote:
The links seem to be death

PM or contact Christian - here

Login

Who's Online

268 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 268

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits