MaoSoto
I want a podcasting Module
  • 2006/2/1 23:54

• MaoSoto

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/1 2

Hi,

I am useless when it comes to programming, thus I can't make the things I want to happen. So I hope someone here can help.

I just started playing with xoops. I love it, and I see a there are great modules for news and blogs. But, what about podcasts?

I want to start a podcasting service at www.broadcastpeople.com. I want people to submit their podcast (about the broadcast, tv, radio, and media industries). I want people to be able to upload their file, then fill a form which in turn will write/parse the rss feed file with all the right info. I want the module to list these podcast in a user established directory with categories and subcategories, and by series of podcasts made by each author. In other words, it should work like iTunes / music store/ podcasts.

Is there a module that already makes podcasting possible? If so, how does it do it?

Are you a good programmer and can write the module?

Please help me, and all other people who are into producing pods.

Thanks,

Mauricio

gestroud
Re: I want a podcasting Module
  • 2006/3/21 19:30

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Try the weblinks module.

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=40&lid=1473

I'm in the middle of setting it up on a podcast directory and it works pretty well, so far.

gestroud

justjeff
  • 2006/3/22 0:33

• justjeff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/16

Quote:

gestroud wrote:

I'm in the middle of setting it up on a podcast directory and it works pretty well, so far.

gestroud

I'd like to know how you got a podcast to work, was there a need to change any code? etc.......

Thanks
Jeff

rabideau
  • 2006/3/22 1:10

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Since I am also not a programmer but rather a hacker I'd recommend the foillowing approach. Create your podcast as MP3 or whatever... use DMS (one of the world's best modules... love rifraff's work!) and allow people to download the mp3 files.

If you want people to hear the podcast online.... I'd create a block with a link to the mp3 file. mp3's are just files, the fact that they produce sound should be incidental to how you present the files to your audience.

The reason I recommend using DMS to store the files is for the wondeful library function it provides.

Bon chance!
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

gestroud
  • 2006/3/22 1:31

• gestroud

• Home away from home

I'm going to try it using the News module in conjunction with the weblinks module.

I'll allow file attachments to article submissions. Then, I think if I add a link to the mp3 file in the article summary, it will be read by my site's RSS feed.

In theory, the News module produces a per topic feed, so I'll just create topics named for each submitter.

Weblinks will be categorized according to submitter and there will be one link under each category. The link will also be named after the submitter.

The submitter's RSS topic feed will be added to the link.

It's ugly, but if all goes well, it should work.

rabideau has an interesting suggestion with the Document Management System module. I'm going to look into it. The site is just getting developed, so I have plenty of time. (famous last words)

gestroud

rabideau
  • 2006/3/22 1:56

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

I can't recommend DMS highly enough. It allows all sorts of user access control. Wonderful for making certain the right people get appropriate access to files. But be aware it's not the easiest thing to set up... at least not for me.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

wintercorn
  • 2006/3/23 19:32

• wintercorn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/22

You might be interested in this project I'm working on. I used the magazine module and google video.

www.voiceofengland.com

hervet
  • 2006/3/23 19:52

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Quote:

wintercorn wrote:
www.voiceofengland.com

VERY NICE !

wintercorn
  • 2006/3/23 20:57

• wintercorn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/22

Quote:

hervet wrote:
Quote:

wintercorn wrote:
www.voiceofengland.com

VERY NICE !

Thanks. It still needs some work on the aesthetics, but it's a work in progress.

Xoops is just so easy to work with.

gestroud
  • 2006/3/25 5:07

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Here's another suggestion based around an Old Time Radio site I'm developing.

Since OTR covers over two dozen genres, and there are hundreds of different series, the best module to use is Smart Sections, which is great at categorizing almost anything on a XOOPS site.

It allows uploads and produces an RSS feed (don't know if it's per topic). I'll include a link to my mp3 the RSS feed in the summary. Let you know how it works, but it may be a while; that site is just a hobby.

It might work well for you since you want to keep track of submissions by different people.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits