New10x
Re: "This is your first time to enter the administration section." loop
  • 2005/4/15 20:46

• New10x

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/10

I want to second the opnion of UteWebMonkey, that this is a MAJOR issue with Xoops. The problem with the XOOPS blocking people using Norton Internet Security is that it will turn away too many people. And UteWebMonkey's right in that asking them to change their firewall settings is annoying and complex enough that many new visitors will just go away.

There is a ray of hope. Even with my Norton firewall on its usual high blocking setting, I could get into www.xoopsgallery.org with no problem. Hence, there must be a way to set up XOOPS to avoid the problem.

Ok, now I have to turn off my Norton firewall again, in order to post this.

-------------------

I came back to let you know that I tried turning off "block referrer" in the Norton firewall as suggested by Ackbarr. That worked.

Then, I went to the URL reference by Ackbarr. It shows you how to turn off check referrer in Xoops, itself. That's a good thing.

I note that when I first tried to use www.xoops.org that I could not even register for several days. It was only because I really needed forum information in order to use Xoops, that I kept trying until I discovered the firewall problem. Recreational site visitors just would not bother.

emcher
  • 2005/4/16 1:35

• emcher

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/16

False alarm. Right after I posted this, I went back to working on the site, and it started happening again.

I've worked on the config and figuring out the system for a few days now. How can it all of a sudden start doing this? Doesn't make sense to me. It all but makes it unuseable.

===========================================

My troubles started after installing the 'Theme Changer' module. That's when I started getting the admin looping condition. Everything had worked fine until I installed that module.

I removed that module, and everything seems to be working okay now. Is there possibly something in that code that's creating this condition?

I'm not versed in php coding, but it seems hard to believe that could do it. But for now, the Theme changer is not part of my site.

Yamaha
  • 2005/4/22 22:27

• Yamaha

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/25

All of the sudden my cache folder doesn't have any files! I can't access the admin and the same message is showing. What shall i do?

I need the adminmenu.php file. Can someone upload? Thanks.

ackbarr

the adminmenu.php script will be regenerated automatically by XOOPS if PHP can write to the /cache folder. So you need to ensure that PHP can. On Windows / IIS, this means that the IUSR_<computername> account has full control over this folder, on *Nix / Apache, this usually means giving the folder 777 permissions (e.g. - chmod 777 cache).

Yamaha
  • 2005/4/22 23:15

• Yamaha

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/25

I had the cache folder chmod to 777 already. I checked everything. I used

chmod 777 -R /path/xoops/cache

it is 777 for sure. But I get the message above. I made a blank adminmenu.php file and uploaded. It let me in but no menu. That's why I ask to have the file. Please advise.

kgmetcalfe
  • 2005/4/23 3:43

• kgmetcalfe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

forumpost151283

Posted on: 2005/4/18 22:59

ok - good thing i am as stubborn as the proverbial mule...

1) please to update the FAQ - reason - norton 2005 has a little change in it... one that they didnt bother to let us ( the public - not in their manual) know about.

2) privacy control - click on configure - choose custom level - uncheck browser privacy - click ok. end of freaking problem.

nothing but change is a constant - which to me is real real real real annoying.

AAAWD
  • 2005/5/27 22:22

• AAAWD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/27

Thanks for the post/tip (re: Norton 2005). It saved me and others I am sure lots of time and energy looking for the solution.

Shine
  • 2005/5/28 1:02

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

The same happened to me......all of a sudden the admin didn't work anymore. Everybody with adminrights ended up from one day on another within this adminsection entering loop.
No file like an adminmenu. It completely disappeared.
The loop this is the first time you enter.....started endlessly.

Whatever I did nothing has solved this problem.
- Did a fresh install and dropped the backupped sql files within the fresh install. Problem not solved.
- Tried to reinstall a XOOPS over the excisting. Problem not solved.
- dropped an old adminmenu.php file within the cache. This gave me entering to the admin, BUT, none of my admin handlings where saved. Caused by the fact it couldn't be written to the adminmenu.php file (ALL chmod settings were ok!) which is needed. It simply didn't regenerate a new adminmenu.php.
- Deactivated Norton completely. Problem not solved. (also others, who don't have Norton installed but had module admin rights, couldn't enter the admin section anymore.)

This admin loop problem problem has absolutely nothing to do with firewalls, norton or what-so-ever. It is definately a bug within XOOPS as of: 2.0.9x up to 2.0.10

All on all, I ended up with a totally remake of the complete website. (fresh install and put all its content piece by piece and by hand, back) I can only hope and pray this won't happen again.

Grtz., Shine

kgmetcalfe
  • 2005/5/28 3:43

• kgmetcalfe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

well - all i can say is - argh. again the norton 2005 has struck.

nottledim
  • 2006/3/18 18:13

• nottledim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/18

Newb Just installed.

I get the above error. I see no error mesages anywhere. permissions seem OK.

I'm using Firefox on Linux.

Also updating user profile doesn't work. Submit changes then immediately edit again and it's back to the original. I see no MySQL errors or other errors.

Assistance would be much appreciated.

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits