jdseymour
Re: What does XOOPS need? - A newbies perspective

As far as reading the faq post answers, 90% or more of the answers to questions already asked are in the faq. That is what it is for. Now when I post for someone to read the Faq Page, I set the "Faq Page" in my post as the link to the actual answer to their question.

Now I spend alot of time in these forums, as you can see from the amount of post I have (joined in November 2004) and I try to answer all questions that I can. But when the answer is in the faq or another post I link to that resourse instead of retyping what is already there. I know it can be better, but, this message board is more helpful than any message board that I have ever been a part of.

Nnemesis
  • 2005/5/27 21:16

• Nnemesis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/12

I agree that repetetive questions, especially when they have allready been addressed in the faq, are very frustrating. Unfortunately, it's human nature to be lazy and so many ppl will not bother to read the faq first. It's just one of those things that all sites such as this have to contend with.

I understand that ppl can't be "made" to run around the forums answering newbies questions but given the amount of ppl that use this site and some obviously Old-timers, surely there are a few ppl around that would like to be more involved and help take some of the heat off the dev team?

The problem is a viscious circle. Old-timers get sick of answering repetitive questions and so just stop doing it. Newbies get tired of asking those repetitive questions and getting no answer and so give up on the app.

You're right, I am stating the obvious. It was one of the first things that struck me when I started using this site. You are obviously concerned about what is going on here or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. I for one am very happy with the prog. As I stated in another of my posts, XOOPS is just the kind of prog I've been looking for, for a long time and look forward to seeing it develop.

I do appreciate the hard work that you folks put into it. As I am not experienced enough with the program to be of help in any other way, I'm just trying to do what I can by answering your question from a different perspective. No criticism or insult is intended and I hope you can accept my input for what it is. :)

hervet
  • 2005/5/27 21:28

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

May be the FAQ should be our roadmap.
Why is there "so much" repetitive questions.... ????
There's something to dig.

jensclas

Oh dear...I have been away for some time and on my return this is the first thread I look at...it's kind of sad really - that our hard workers are once again defending themselves. Really!

XOOPS needs it's users to be learners who can quickly become independent. There is absolutely no point in each and every one of the experienced users providing specific answers to every question or problem - the only thing the asker learns from that is how to ask a question to get an answer.

If on the other hand we direct you to the tools and resources for finding the answer for yourselves we are teaching you the skills for becoming and accomplished XOOPS user...Experinced XOOPS users are not talking encyclopaedias of XOOPS - they are skilled workers who have learned to use the tools of XOOPS and if we are to do new users any favours thats what we should be doing -teaching you all to use the tools.

If we give you precise answers to everything we are holding your hand too much and you will never really learn how to use your XOOPS independently. You will constantly remain XOOPS 'toddlers' and never become grown up experienced XOOPS users. This is a message I am constantly having to promote with my own teenage children and the teenagers I teach - you know how to learn so go ahead and do it. It's a bit like DH or dd asking me where their shoes are...they have the skills to go for a walk, look in all the logical places, backtrack to where they have been and find them themselves- but it is easier and quicker to ask me for the answer. My response is do you want me to do what you can do for yourself? You know how to look for them - to find the answer...I have taught you the skills for this.

So..be patient and be a learner and you will have much less of an axe to grind....and remember we are all
still learning

xoops needs learners not consumers

Off my sopa box now

tvepsorg
Re: What does XOOPS need?
  • 2005/5/28 8:23

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I love xoops. I think we need more graphic rich themes ;) , but I am greatful for all the things they do for us.

davidl2
  • 2005/5/28 8:36

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

In the process of doing a theme for myself as well ... i'll release if its any good of course

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/28 8:42

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I've been debating making some custom themes too, but haven't found the time. Work keeps me pretty busy. and by work of course I mean gaming

karedokx
  • 2005/5/28 10:42

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

reading your post hsalazar really make my heart really warm, encouraged, and feel at home.

i just want to say (again) i really appreciate all the hard and great works you have given to us core team. and express my appreciation to all the module developers too for all the great modules and supports you have given (you guys make me able to build my astonishing website without any single coding ).

there are areas where we can improve of course. if we can put away our differences and try to work together as a team, we will make a great result.

Nnemesis
  • 2005/5/28 12:02

• Nnemesis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/12

jensclas, I'm sorry to have to say this but your reply is the most condesending post I've read on this entire board and does not encourage newbies in the slightest. What you are basicly telling us is "This is Xoops, sink or swim on your own".

Herko
  • 2005/5/28 12:16

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Nnemesis, I disagree, I don't read it like that. XOOPS has a learning curve, maybe steeper then for other software that people are used to. A lot of people discover that the learning curve, the challeng you set yourself and getting a desirable result, is a large part of the fun of working with XOOPS. It makes it an achievement of your own, something to be really proud of.
Posts that demand a solution, skip the learning curve, even skipping browsing through the available information, are often a rude disruption of the learning process by others.
So, as I read it, jensclass (who is a teacher) wants more people who are willing to learn and explore *together*, which is the first step to making it your own and becoming more involved (as you can add to the whole), rather then people looking for the solution they need at that moment, provided by everyone else.

Herko

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits