JMorris
Re: One last chance before moving to PHPNuke
  • 2004/7/31 3:52

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Given the nature of ZoneAlarm, I would say your more likely to find the problem there. have you registered PHP, MySQL and Apache in the Programs section of ZoneAlarm? I should have mentioned that before, but that could be the root of the problem.

intel352
  • 2004/7/31 5:40

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

how rude mikem, leading me on like that

lol, ah well, i've seen other nukers switching over, thought maybe the 'nuke mikem was switching as well

either way, welcome

jctsup1
  • 2004/7/31 7:20

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

We have had several posts on our site about problems with IIS & the latest version of ZoneAlarm. I have been in contact with Zonelabs & they are aware that there is a problem but don't really seem to be all that interested in getting the problem resolved.

I would suggest that you take a look at Steve Gibson's Personal Firewall roundup as it is important to have some sort of firewall.

http://www.grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm

m0nty
  • 2004/7/31 10:26

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

it isn't a problem with zonealarm as such, which is why the developers of zonealarm don't seem all that interested in fixing it (especially as its not actually broken)

it's more of that zonealarm BLOCKS HTTP referring by default and XOOPS requires that http referring not be blocked to operate properly. but this option can be turned off easily in zonealarm (and it does say in the zonealarm setup) that blocking http referring can cause some sites not to function.. so really it's all down to the users paranoia and ability to use the software they installed correctly..

mj62mj62
  • 2004/8/1 19:26

• mj62mj62

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/14

Shame to hear ZoneAlarm isn't keen on fixing the problem...

I think the most controllable solution would be to have the installer try to do a referal and if it doesn't work suggest:

"Have you turned off Zone Alarm?" or something.

For me, it was never this problem. It was the PHP, MySQL and Apache stuff...

That's why I'm all into promoting WAMP now as a super quick way to have all 3 up and running before installing XOOPS :)

(XOOPS kicks some SERIOUS ass by the way! :)

intel352
  • 2004/8/1 19:31

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

it's not zonealarm's fault, it's a security 'feature', not a glitch.

norton firewall does the same thing. it's a conflict of security, since XOOPS wants to know the referer, and the firewalls want to block the referer.

so neither XOOPS nor the firewalls are in the wrong, the users just need to figure out how to use their programs and enable http referers for their preferred sites.

YourHelp
  • 2004/8/1 19:52

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

1) My advice is get a real security program zone alarm and Norton are what the "public" use. Attackers love these regular programs.

2) Stay with XOOPS you would be a fool to go elsewhere if you need help its all here you won’t find a better community on the internet you also make some great friends here.

I hope you stay with us if you need some help buzz me on private you msn and ill help best I can.. Would be a shame to loose you!

Herko
  • 2004/8/1 20:13

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
so neither XOOPS nor the firewalls are in the wrong, the users just need to figure out how to use their programs and enable http referers for their preferred sites.

Not completely true, as the HTTP HEADERS are part of an international standard for web communication, and are there for a reason. Now, because they can be exploited, firewalls block them by default nowadays... but they're blocking something that is widely accepted as a channel of information for web sites...

Herko

mikem
  • 2004/8/1 20:15

• mikem

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/30

Quote:
1) My advice is get a real security program zone alarm and Norton are what the "public" use. Attackers love these regular programs.
2) Stay with XOOPS you would be a fool to go elsewhere if you need help its all here you won’t find a better community on the internet you also make some great friends here.

I hope you stay with us if you need some help buzz me on private you msn and ill help best I can.. Would be a shame to loose you!

Just to clarify, I'm not the original poster that was considering switching to PHPNuke...I was just commenting that I had noticed the same problem, and that switching off ZoneAlarm "fixed" it...

fyi...

Mike

JMorris
  • 2004/8/1 20:21

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
it's not zonealarm's fault, it's a security 'feature', not a glitch.

norton firewall does the same thing. it's a conflict of security, since XOOPS wants to know the referer, and the firewalls want to block the referer.

With a default install of ZoneAlarm [no changes except to accept my network], and XSAS installed, XOOPS appears not to work [related to the issue you pointed out]. I installed easyPHP on the same system without making any changes, and it worked. At their core, XSAS and easyPHP use the same software, but one works and the other does not.

My suggestion would be to try different stand alone servers before disabling your firewall. If you're looking to run a production server, get rid of ZoneAlarm and look into a hardware based firewall, and install Apache, MySQL, and PHP independantly.

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits