theprof
About the XCOMICS module.....
  • 2004/7/19 14:37

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

How often does the comics update and change? Or do you have to manually change them yourself.

And as far as copyrights....I know it says they are downloaded straight from the net, what are the copyright inplications for this comic module? Am I violating any compyrights by posting this module on my site?

Herko
Re: About the XCOMICS module.....
  • 2004/7/19 14:58

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

It changes once per day, and yes, use of this odule can violate some copyrights. Use of this oudle is at your own risk (as not all comics have these restrictions).

Herko

longhair
  • 2004/7/19 15:08

• longhair

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/3/29

I use the Comics module and it does in fact update once a day.

In regards to copyrights, I'm no lawyer, but the default module installation did include userfriendly.org comics, which when viewed popped up a rather amusing image to inform me that taking the comic in this way was not to their liking.

I've since disabled User Friendly from the module, and I also added the comments of 'All comic strips remain the property of their respective owners' under each strip to avoid bother.

I've not had a problem to date with comic owners and copyright.

theprof
  • 2004/7/19 16:37

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

Great that they do update daily. I am sure my members will like this feature. Yes, I also saw the userfriendly.org message..and also took them from the module itself..lol....

'All comic strips remain the property of their respective owners'

I will put that in a block...thanx for the info

Nater
  • 2004/9/22 3:40

• Nater

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/22

I installed this xComics Module.. and it says No comic found with this ID. in the block. I don't quite understand if maybe it doesn't work with the latest version of Xoops.. or why it's not showing the comics..

MadFish
  • 2004/9/22 5:44

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I don't suppose we do have a lawyer among us somewhere ?

I am wondering if it is legitimate to hotlink to (say) a copyright image on another site, or not ? Technically you're not hosting the image on your own site, but then you are displaying a portion of another site. And how about 'fair use' provisions, eg. posting a review of a product or company and including their logo or a shot of the product in question ? I'm really not clear on any of this.

Appreciate any clarification...

(I know many webmasters regard leeching of bandwidth as poor form, I'm just wondering whether it is also a breach of copyright).

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/22 10:43

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

MadFish,
there is no straight answer to your question, as there is no effective international copyright law (and the internet is as international as it can get). Each country has its own laws, and agreements with other countries. Though there has been a big push by corporations to get this changes. Not to the benefit of the copyright producers, nor the consumers. Most changes are made in respect to copyright 'property' holders. Though to be honest, that last bit is rather my personal opinion

In any manner, it is your best bet, to contact the copyright holder. Now this is not only where the law becomes rediculus, but will most likely discorouge you to go through such a hassel and lead you to either:
a) "break the copyright law"
b) abondon any project involving other peoples copyrighted material

May I suggest a book written by the Stanford Law School Prof Lawrence Lessig, available as a free e-book :: "Free Culture". I am sure you will find it insightfull, and come to concule, it to be an answer to your question.

Update
If you want to use Xcomics, without copyright hassle, google for "free comic content"; thats what I am doing successfully, cause I DO want to use this nice module, without being a hypocrite or being labeled a criminal

kiwiguy
  • 2004/9/23 6:02

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

I have installed xcomics and seems to bevery finicky about the use of it i get this when clicking onto a comic

Quote:
You have to agree with the Terms of Use. Check preferences of this module!
If the page does not automatically reload, please click here

Well i would not be so confused if I could simply find the preference part in the xcomics module which there isn't can somebody shed some light on the subject.

kiwiguy

kiwiguy
  • 2004/9/23 6:11

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

Don't worry I put me glasses back on that was the problem LOL found it LMFAO how dopey do i feel.

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/23 6:16

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

In the Admin section, you just need to hover with your mouse over the xComic button.

If you are so unfortunate, that there are a lot of those images, and your xComic images is somewhere at the bottom, you will need to get a little tricky ():
- hover briefly over icon
- move rapidly to right [~8mm (-3/+5)mm] of the icon, and press "page up" button on your keyboard, until you hit the pop-up menu (stupid I know, but it works, and thats what counts).

If ya still having trouble, here's the link to get to the preferences of xComics. Though you will need to apend it, in two places: the beginning and the end. The front part is easy and obvious, the end bit is a little trickier, as the number is to found in the DB.

What you need is the YOURXCOMICMODULENUMBER! The easiest and fastes way I know of, getting this number. Is opening phpMyAdmin up, to access your DB. Look for the table:
YOURPREFIX_modules

Browse this table, while keeping an eye on the column dirnam

Hope this helps...

/ROOT/modules/system/admin.php?fct=preferences&op=showmod&mod=YOURXCOMICMODULENUMBER

Update

You got your glasses on quicker than I could type

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits