HughG
Re: Xaraya = Xoops history is over ?
  • 2004/4/3 15:18

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Quote:
All that said, I do take offense to someone going through our demo and finding an error on a module that has not been developed in quite some time, and stating that that is a reflection of our work. It is very petty, and is completely against the spirit of cooperation that should exists from any user of Open Source software, much less developer.

Oh give me a break. One of the Xaraya groupies comes over (first post) and talks smack and you get upset because it's tossed back?

If you took offense - get over it - or maybe fix/update the demo section so when the next peep hops over and shoots off - he has a better footing to stand on. Or just indicate the demo site is not reflective of Xaraya but just put up as a novel item.

Personally, I know nothing of Xaraya other than the first poster's smack submission. A very quick hop over provided errors.... I Laughed, copied, pasted and forgot about it.

In all fairness, it says its beta... I personally have absolutely no interest in it. I'm more concerned with stability -proven releases such as Xoops. If Xaraya grows up, I'll be the first to give it a looksie and see if it's a better mouse trap.

rabideau
  • 2004/4/3 15:37

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
In May, I will be writing a University project regarding XOOPS and the Open Source CMS's, in which I will compare XOOPS to other CMS's.

I have so far decided to compare with the following CMS's:
Xaraya
Drupal
phpWebSite
Typo3
Mambo

Any more, you guys would recommend?

I will of course publish the report for you to read.

Hello Mithrandir,

I'd love to see you add a unique styled CMS such as Moodle or Segue to your evaluation.

Mithrandir

Sure - I don't know anything about Moodle and Segue. Can you give some fast specs? I mean, what is unique about it?

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/3 15:47

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I don't know about Seque but heres a quick rundown on Moodle.

A Course Management System designed to help educators create quality online courses. Available in currently 34 languages, featuring WYSIWYG HTML Editor, teacher has full control over all settings for a course, flexible array of course activities (Forums, Journals, Quizzes, Resources, Choices, Surveys, Assignments, Chats, Workshops), user logging and tracking, mail integration and much more.
Homepage:http://moodle.org/

Mithrandir

Couldn't get Segue to install properly.
Moodle looks ok as a course site tool with many authentication options. Quite narrow scope of use, though - but not bad at all.

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/3 20:23

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Quote:

HughG wrote:
Oh give me a break. One of the Xaraya groupies comes over (first post) and talks smack and you get upset because it's tossed back?

If you took offense - get over it - or maybe fix/update the demo section so when the next peep hops over and shoots off - he has a better footing to stand on. Or just indicate the demo site is not reflective of Xaraya but just put up as a novel item.

Personally, I know nothing of Xaraya other than the first poster's smack submission. A very quick hop over provided errors.... I Laughed, copied, pasted and forgot about it.

In all fairness, it says its beta... I personally have absolutely no interest in it. I'm more concerned with stability -proven releases such as Xoops. If Xaraya grows up, I'll be the first to give it a looksie and see if it's a better mouse trap.

For goodness sakes think twice before you write your reply. If you had a problem with Xaraya, be man enough about it and post it at their forum. Just last week I had someone went to our largest newspaper because they found a small insignificant problem on my company website. The person did not for one second think the first thing they should do is contact the webmaster. Nope - its more satisfying letting the national newspaper print it out for everyone to read.

There will always be someone coming here telling us their CMS is better than ours and so forth.

The thing that will show our community's maturity is not biting the bait and flinging mud back at them.

Their developers work just as hard as ours. They don't get paid either. They, as well as our developers would expect at least the common courtesy of being told of a bug first hand.

Mithrandir

Calm down people.

As HughG explains, it wasn't intended as throwing mud, but was just something ironic, he found and posted here and forgot all about.

I agree that being polite and open to what others are doing is healthy and good, but so is having a little pride in what XOOPS has accomplished.

macnoludo
  • 2004/5/11 12:14

• macnoludo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/18

ezpublish
athttp://ez.no/ seems to be very useful to compare.

supernix
  • 2004/5/11 13:31

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

You have to be joking.
Xaraya and XOOPS are very different even though they accomplish many of the same tasks.

One of the most notable differences is that there is NO core module for a forum for Xaraya.

coldfire
  • 2004/5/26 23:42

• coldfire

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/6

I find Xaraya may be to server demanding. It's also a bit over kill for some projects. Mambo doesn't have templates or smarty.

Xoops has a great place in the CMS market. I could even make some commercial sites with it because it's very hackable. I do not like unhackable overly complex systems like typo. This is just a piss off. You end up doing more work fixing bugs that the cms is worth.

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits