Site randomly disappears
  • 2004/4/23 16:38

• mcwrath

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/23

Greetings,

I maintain the following site:
www.astronomical.org

I have had the site published and working now for a couple months, with a new ISP. However, I have noticed that occasionally when I go to it, it loads up a blank white page. Others have started noticing it as well, and it is becoming more frequent.

Other times it loads up fine. I checked the ISP, and they were limiting the number of database connections to 65. I asked that they increase it to at least 250, as we are sometimes a busy site with schools, etc.

Is the number (or lack thereof) of database connections related to the blank page problem? Any ideas as to what else would cause it? I am looking for something I can take back to our ISP that they can fix. Like I say, it seems sporadic, but when it goes down, its a major pain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

bmmolloy
Re: Site randomly disappears
  • 2004/4/23 17:15

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/21

I jsut tried twice in firefox and twice in IE. Every time came to a blank page after clicking the logo...not sure what would cause that if it's been running before.

krayc
  • 2004/4/23 17:27

• krayc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

same here, astronomical.org first comes up, the the link tohttp://astronomical.org/portal/ goes to a blank page...

I'd start with looking at the index page in the portal folder that should be there? turn on the debug.

Okay new interesting, since I know xoops, I tried

http://astronomical.org/portal/admin.php and as I should have I got 'you don't have permission to access this page'

but then it redirected me to

http://www.astronomical.org/portal/modules/news/

and voila there is your site.

So Im thinking that your sub-domain 'portal' doens't have the correct info/page/index whatever it needs. Because XOOPS is stilling active as you can see from above.

JackJ
  • 2004/4/23 17:56

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Yes Krayc, I clicked on that same link and got the "you don't have permissions" message and then a blank page.

In XOOPS a blank page means an error. XOOPS is set up to show blank pages instead of errors. You need to switch on phpdebug in system admin/preferences/general settings as Krayc said

Then go to the pages concerned, when the error appears copy and paste the error messages and post again

We can't trace the source otherwise.

regards

mcwrath
  • 2004/4/23 18:34

• mcwrath

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/23

Ive been trying to turn the debug flag on, but I couldnt becuase the site has been down!

It was back again tho, as of about 30 seconds of this post. I turned on the php debug. We'll see what happens....

Tim

Login

Who's Online

142 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 142

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits