Goober
Re: 2 New Themes for Xoop Peepers!
  • 2004/4/9 23:30

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

This is the last time I will address this - its freaking silly (sad). It's a dead subject. A subject that was taken care of within 30 mins of me getting a shout from a peek.

To continue posting rants, etc., (IMO), provides one with the impression of -nothing more than- someone grandstanding (spamming), swinging the "look at me look at me" banner.

TO Bloody SUMMARIZE..... (again in E-n-g-l-i-s-h and saying "Bloody" in my best British Accent)

You started right out the gate making accusations. I can only guess that you may not of had your E-n-g-l-i-s-h reading glasses on.(?)

The first sentence in your post:
Quote:

I guess you feel good taking credit for other peoples work?

You might read the very first post (*my Spam*)
Credit was given. (now edited and cut of course)
Credit was given -File Download Description
Credit was given - Readme included in theme
Google Cache of my site shows credit

Now, I don't claim to be the brightest colored easteregg in the basket, but I'm quite confident anyone - of even limited intelligence - (and provided they can read in E-n-g-l-i-s-h) would summize that credit was given/attempted in several areas.

The only credit *I* took was making the conversions. I guess I should of said something along the lines as the logo image of this theme conversion was done by (insert theme name here) osmosis .....

Again, as far as I am concerned, this matter is closed. (wow i heard cheers in the background! )

This thread is about two themes I have offered freely -no strings attached - to the Good Peeks of Xoops. If you insist, you can continue to hijack this with (IMO) spamage of look at me look at me -ism's. shug - makes no difference to me.

-To the Xoopers- Really am sorry ^ this ^ was carried out here and you all had to trudge through it. Sucks I know.

Windows2K Easter Egg!
1. Right click the mouse, go to properties and backgrounds.
2. Choose clouds tiled as your background.
3. Click apply then ok, and go back to the main screen.
4. Click on my computer, and then change the name to my microsoft, don't move the mouse.
5. A video of bill gates, and some other software developers will appear if you don't move the mouse.

zarron
  • 2004/4/10 13:14

• zarron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Quote:

This agressive "invader" is bringing some of the well known nukey forum "nastyness" into Xoops. These are friendly forums--notice he just joined to give himself some credit? He is just making a damn fool of himself.

Yes I did join to give myself credit, as none was given. I haven't brought any nastiness to this place. You are the ones that have done the insulting and swearing, not me.

Quote:

I am generally quite cool, but can't stand schoolgirl bullies, sitting safe behind their cowardly screens. I am ashamed he is from UK. You have given yourself no credit here.

I don't care if someone is a schoolgirl or president, that point is irrelivent.
I came here and asked for appropriate changes to be made. Is that bullying? no.

Quote:

Go on post again asshole, we know you will..you can't help it. Was that good enough English for you?

You obviously can't read as I also mentioned "without insults". I haven't insulted anyone on here, why do you feel that you have to? As I recall, no one asked for your opinion, if you can't post anything relevent why bother?

Quote:

You started right out the gate making accusations.You might read the very first post (*my Spam*)
Credit was given. (now edited and cut of course)

And when did you remove this credit? I have never seen it. You kept saying you didn't know who made it? Are you now saying you did know? All you have written is that you knew what the themes were called. That isn't giving cedit?
This is what you have written:

Hi!
I've done 2 themes for the XOOPS Peepers! Here's what they look like. (I'm posting examples rather than make you run off the forums to go peek at them )
...Thanks Tabasco! Hope you get to use it!
...Thanks HughG! (and thanks for the help on them!)
...Thanks wcrwcr!...

I may be wrong but that looks like you are taking credit for two themes that are based on/copied/whatever work by someone else. I don't see anything that says "I saw these on a site" or "I converted this" or "these are based on..".

Quote:

I guess I should of said something along the lines as the logo image of this theme conversion was done by (insert theme name here)

Try logo, navigation background, table header cell background, table footer cell background. And this is all I can see from the screenshots.
As I said before I havent seen it in action so I don't know if there is even more.

Questions (again):
What do you think gives you the right to assume you can duplicate someone elses work and call it your own?

How would you feel if someone did that to you?

Mithrandir

No matter who is right and who is wrong, I don't like the tone of the last posts. It should be possible for people here to talk to each other and resolve issues without resorting to name calling, trolling or similar outbursts.

HughG
  • 2004/4/10 14:35

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
No matter who is right and who is wrong, I don't like the tone of the last posts. It should be possible for people here to talk to each other and resolve issues without resorting to name calling, trolling or similar outbursts.

I've been following it. Stayed out as I felt GH was holding her own quite well. He hasn't had a leg to stand on since he applied his fingers to the keyboard. GH gave credit. She didn't know the authors specific name, but gave clear credit to the origin of the theme. I read ENGLISH and it was clear. For him to continue hashing/spamming does indeed provide an indicator what his true motivation is.

My suggestion would be just delete this thread, it's rather clear the attention seeker is here just to do as GH has indicated. Then PM GH and ask her to re-announce these additions.

I'm sure she'd welcome it.

domineaux
  • 2004/4/10 15:53

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Everyone is giving their two cents...he'ah is mine.

The end result of public attacks is the community at large will suffer. Who wants all the heat from trying to help others for "Free". So, the next time the person does a unique project it stays proprietary and no one gets the benefit of it.

Copyright enfringements are the way of life on the "WEB". I've written articles and plagerists have taken verbiage word for word and given no credit. I just keep doing my thing, and to be honest people know what's going on over time. I've written and asked for credit (PM Messages) and still received none.

I cannot blame anyone for getting upset about copyright enfringements, but I accept it is high form of flattery and go on about my business.

So...I've been on this board for over a year. Do you know who I am, does it make a tinkers toot. I'm the one with the red-faced monkey avatar...right? These boards are about a community of other web devs just trying to put up some decent websites and have a little fun along with it.

We have a great PM messaging system on these boards. I think PM messaging is the best way to resolve issues and disputes. Then the concerned parties don't have to protect their egos and self-worth publicly, which is often embarassing. Take it to the public when you get "NO" resolution, then everyone can take apart the perpetrator...grrrrrrrrrrr
--------------
--------------

zarron
  • 2004/4/10 16:32

• zarron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Firstly I would like to appologise, several of you have mentioned using PM instead of a live forum and you are right. My diplomacy could have been better.
I am not here seeking attention. I came here with a legitimate dispute, seeking a solution and for this I got insults, requests to prove my claim, swearing and other abuse.

What I do find disturbing is the complete lack of guilt and the arrogence from several of the posts. This person thinks she has done nothing wrong.

She wrote on her own forum:
Actually.... I never downloaded any theme. So i guess it can't actually be called a "convert".
The site i looked at had no "credit" displayed -
FYI, i dont download themes when i make them..., i look at them then and try to adapt them to a xoop based theme.
To be bound to his/her agreement, wouldnt i have had to found the package somewhere and agree to it?
And as far as the credit... i gave as much credit as i knew. I specifically indicated the names of the themes - that was as much as i knew.

That's ok, after reading that little temper tamptrum he threw, I'm just changing them so it wont be a convert anymore..... sheesh

It is irrelivent which theme(s), artwork or who made them that are being discussed. She deliberately saw something she liked and did her best to copy it. As I have said, by looking at the screenshots, it is more than the logo. There are other graphics used/copied/duplicated etc in those themes. There is no mention in her post advertising the themes that she saw them someplace else.

Many of you think my claims are stupid.
what would you think if you had duplicated a load of Disney artwork and they had you in court in under an hour? Would that be okay? Would you insult them? Would you think their claims were stupid? Or is that okay because they are a large corporation and I am just a crappy web designer?

As I have said on two occasions, I have no problem with people converting themes, providing they inform us. We request this for numerous reasons including;
1. It might already be in progress by someone else.
2. We can provide original files to help the creation.
3. Quality control - Bad work reflects on us.

As someone said Copyright enfringements are the way of life on the "WEB"
That may be true but it doesn't mean its legal or acceptable, and why should it be?

The simple solution to all this is to make your own original themes, not see something you like and copy/duplicate/steal it. If you want to do proper conversions then contact me and I will be happy to help you in anyway I can.

Goober
  • 2004/4/10 17:06

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

Quote:

HughG wrote:
My suggestion would be just delete this thread, it's rather clear the attention seeker is here just to do as GH has indicated. Then PM GH and ask her to re-announce these additions.

I'm sure she'd welcome it.

Yes. Please rid us of the nonsensical ©look at me© blubbering.

domineaux
  • 2004/4/10 17:37

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Anyone using anything of anyone else's original work's content should give credit and ask permissions. If you can't get permission, then the person not granting it, should be using ASP or other non-opensource software for development. It is hypocritical to not allow permissions when the usage and tools for development are freely given with permissions.

I realize some of the restrictions people put on the use of their stuff is not viable or reasonable as far as copyright law compliance. I mean no where in copyright law does it require functioning hyper-links to remain intact. LOL

This whole php, apache, linux, open-source thing is just that. A sharing of everything, and all the reward anyone gets is some credits and kudos from peers.

Xoops is a great community with friendly sharing people, and anyone not asking for permissions for using others original works is out of line, or doesn't understand how friendly and open the XOOPS community is.

Catzwolf has spent inordinate amounts of time on his projects and openly allowed permissions to others using his core coding in almost all cases. Catzwolf is a good example of what this community is about. I'm sure he's even been "Scooped a few times", bit his tongue and moved on to bigger and better things. Most important, he's got the respect of this community even when someone did jump ahead of him on a project.

upsadaz
  • 2004/8/11 15:31

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

Two more cents from me here.

I am very new to XOOPS and when I first set up my XOOPS site I did not understand XOOPS ettiquette. I used a 7dana theme and some how the credit on the bottom of the page got removed or altered. I'm not sure how it happened because hosnestly I did not know what I was doing (still don't but I'm learning).
Gratefully the author of the theme addressed this breach of courtesy on my part much more gently than you have with Goober, zarron. Like Goober, I too corrected my mistake. As soon as I figured out how to put the line and link back in I did so. It has been a great learning process for me and I am grateful for the kindness and patience that has been shown to me in this community.
I DO feel that right from the start your tone was negative, accusatory and rude. There was no need for your first line of your first comment to say you "stole this" in such a sarcastic way. Basically you have the right to claim what is yours but you can do it in a more positive and respectful way. I used postnuke before XOOPS and I love the helping and polite ways of this community. Therefore, I hope this community never changes its tone.
I hope my English is adequate.

jmass
  • 2004/8/11 16:57

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I got two cents too....

I agree with people wanting to protect their IP. I also believe that when the IP is applyed to a GPL project in the form of a module (IMO - theme is a module) it must be GPL.

Personally I would never remove credits from the source or on screen if I just USED anothers work. But if I dramatically modified it, I would remove the on screen credits.

Just my two cents, I may have change coming.

JMass

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits