csloh
Is there a "book list" module?
  • 2004/2/18 2:38

• csloh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/17

Right now I amusing the WEB LINK 1.1 module for Web resources (URL) and a recommended book list. I like the WEBLINK for its screenshot feature becasue I add the bookcover as a screenshot to my recommended Book List. I don'tusually have screenshot of URL/web site though.

My users and I are finding it problematic to find the list of books under the growing list of URLs.

Is there an alternative module I can use:
(a) for booklist where I can attach an image (book cover), or
(b) a Web link module (I don't need screenshot) that allow me to put links? or
(c) can I duplicate the LINK module?

Which of the above is easiest and/or available?

carnuke
Re: Is there a "book list" module?
  • 2004/2/18 8:49

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

You might try using discography datahase module

I think Ive seen a proper book catalogue nodule somewhere, I will look and update this if I'm successful in finding it

Richard

Vargr
  • 2004/2/18 9:45

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

An easy workaround for now would be to make two categories in the links-module:

- Links
- Books

This way the system will keep them apart and users can easily tell them apart.

You could then make several sub-categories for various genres, authors, what-ever.

Or do I completely misunderstand your question?

Chappy
  • 2004/2/18 13:35

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

There used to be a user around here named malbrecht. Due to some differences in philosophy, he moved on, but he had a module MAReviews, which I am using on my site for books. I had to hack it pretty heavily (well, pretty heavily as far as my experience allows). He did give me some pointers in the process and he's a pretty nice guy. Shame he's not still around IMHO. Anyway, here's a link to the forums on his site where he discusses this mod: MAReviews

You really need to read the forums here if you intend to use this mod. It's not without issues. You can find the module downloads in that forum thread. He will tell you that he does not support xoops2 but he is still quite helpful. MAReviews is primarily from XOOPS version 1

Hope this helps!

csloh
  • 2004/2/18 15:11

• csloh

• Just popping in

Vargr

thank for the suggestion. I already have many categories and subcategories. I run a site for instructional game development and it is easier to group them by "subjects." But inevitably under every subject, there are some books and some URLs.

Subject1
|--subtopic1--books
____________--URLs
Subject2
|__subtopic2--books
|___________--URL
|__subtopic3--books
|___________--URL

Doing it in Book and Link (top category) would mean duplicating all the subtopics. See the dilemma?

I will try out the discograph module and see if that help.
It would be great if future XOOPS would allow a means to duplicate module. Many users are asking for the CLONE feature.

In that case, I can rename the LINK module as Book Lists, or Web Links.

carnuke
  • 2004/2/18 15:41

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
It would be great if future XOOPS would allow a means to duplicate module. Many users are asking for the CLONE feature

It is possible to clone modules of course; essentially you need to change the tables created in the database, named constants etc. to avoid conflicts, . Do a search for clone module. If you have some experience, you may be able to do this

Richard.

csloh
  • 2004/2/18 21:19

• csloh

• Just popping in

Quote:

carnuke said:
It is possible to clone modules of course; essentially you need to change the tables created in the database, named constants etc. to avoid conflicts, . Do a search for clone module. If you have some experience, you may be able to do this

Hey, thanks for the suggestion and "challenge." I tried and here is the BOOKLISTS module. Hope ONOKAZU don't mind.

download BOOKLISTS 0.8
NEW NOTE: if you downloaded the file before April 18 2004, please download it again. I have fixed the "blank page" bug...

============================
DESCRIPTION:
I wanted to use the LINK module in XOOPS to display a recommended booklist wich show cover shot of the book, and recommend users of my site to online bookstore such as Amazon or BN.

Using the LINK to cover both books and URL is too cumbersome, and I lose the ability to show a BOOK LISTS item on the menu.

CARNUKE suggested I look into cloning it myself, and this is the result of that.

BOOKLISTS is basically the same as LINK, but modified to store the book title in a separte database, and will now accept book titles recommedation, In place of the "Screenshots" in LINK, you can show the book cover shots.

Have fun using. I don't intend to support this (since I am not really a coder), but if you find typo errors, I will be happy to correct them.

svaha
  • 2004/2/18 23:46

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Hey thanks csloh, I'll try this one.
Aloha

marcdg
  • 2004/2/27 10:12

• marcdg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/5 9

I've installed the booklist 0.8 module, but when a visitor clicks on it on my website, the next page is completely blank. Am I the only one with this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

MadFish
  • 2004/2/27 11:22

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Hi

We just used the Downloads module for our 'library', leaving our links module free, you can see it here.

Login

Who's Online

1165 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 1165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits