Catzwolf
Re: Best for articles management
  • 2004/1/31 1:23

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

charpres wrote:
So, in hunting around for a while it seems that you can find xfsection, xfsections, and XF-Sections. Further, that XF-Sections 1.04 is a temp bug-fix version of WF-Sections that was called XF-Sections so it wouldn't be confused as an upgrade to WF-Sections and that when 2.0 is released, it will go back to be called WF-Sections. Is this correct?

Don't know why I am confused, it all makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure about the xf and XF, but I do know whats happening with WF-Sections. I'm sorry but I had to point this out to you as I felt it unfair considering that XF-Sections is WF-Sections.

Quote:

Further, that XF-Sections 1.04 is a temp bug-fix version of WF-Sections that was called XF-Sections so it wouldn't be confused as an upgrade to WF-Sections and that when 2.0 is released, it will go back to be called WF-Sections. Is this correct?

No, Infact XF-Sections was forked and released without my permission. I agree that this was party my fault and was due to the fact that I have not released a bugfix version of WF-Sections. So really XF-Sections is nothing to do with my stable of modules and is not supported by me and never will be.

So those who have installed XF will not have support from me when I release version 2. Sorry.

I would also like to point out that I hold no animosity to the author of XF

chippyash
  • 2004/1/31 17:50

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

So Catzwolf, as you are 'the man' for WFSections and it's going to be included in the next XOOPS core do you know when this might be? I'm in process of developing a site that needs article management but I also have to develop a special module of my own (oh, I just know that is going to be fun ) which might take a little while given that I haven't seriously hacked code for a few years. So if your release is in the foreseeable, I might just park my articles bit for a while.

Regards
Ashley

Catzwolf
  • 2004/1/31 19:09

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

akitson wrote:
So Catzwolf, as you are 'the man' for WFSections and it's going to be included in the next XOOPS core do you know when this might be? I'm in process of developing a site that needs article management but I also have to develop a special module of my own (oh, I just know that is going to be fun ) which might take a little while given that I haven't seriously hacked code for a few years. So if your release is in the foreseeable, I might just park my articles bit for a while.

Regards
Ashley

WF-Section will be released well before it is included within the core, I wont say on a release date (coz am not to good at keeping to them lol) but I will say that its development is going very well at the moment.

supernix
  • 2004/1/31 19:45

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

That is a poor attitude to take about XF-Sections.

Seeing how this is all done as open source I see it that everyone is free to correct problems and add features.

I wanted to use WF-Sections for the longest time but the latest release was noted as being a security risk and had some bugs and you unfortunately was not able to work on it. The XF-Sections guy was only trying to meet the needs of the people and there is nothing wrong with that. I am sure he has not attempted to steal your rainbow for being the person that created WF-Sections. You should show a better attitude and give credit where credit is due. This is an open community people should not have to beg or request permissions from someone to do a good thing.

The XF-Sections author might have changes in mind for the original code that you wrote that would make it different somehow from your own module.

Just imagine how much developing could be done for the benefit of the XOOPS users if you and the XF-Sections guy worked together instead of your lack of support.

charpres
  • 2004/1/31 20:56

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

OK, I really have to go back to what Catzwolf said:

"XF-Sections is WF-Section with bugfixes and nothing more. So how can you say that one has one thing but the other doesn't?"

I'm trying to compare apples to apples here. If you run XF-Sections 1.04 together with the WF-Setions (as it comes in the XOOPS 2.0.6 RC) you can quickly see these are entirely different programs.

I invite anyone to run both these modules side-by-side to see what I mean. Does WF-Sections allow bulk import of HTML files and changing directory paths for files? Does it have a control panel with a configuration page with 41 config option including scrolling in blocks and control over the number of scrolling lines and even scrolling block delay? Does it have separate blocks for most recent articles, top articles, section downloads, big articles, etc.? I could go on for pages.

I'll stand by what I originally said in the first post that compared these two modules. Again, anyone is free to install it and report back.

Dave_L
  • 2004/1/31 21:23

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

What do "WF" and "XF" mean? (Just curious.)

supernix
  • 2004/1/31 21:25

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

I guess the XF means one up on yah LOL

charpres
  • 2004/1/31 22:04

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

If I remember correctly, the author of XF-Section said he named it XF so it wouldn't be mistaken for an upgrade to WF-Section. I think that's what he said in a readme or maybe on the download site (so I take it to mean it has no meaning other than to differentiate it). Catzwolf says it's a "fork" of his WF-Section. The two modules are quite different, as anyone can see. For example, XF has 117k of files in it's root while WF has 15k of files in it's module root directory. XF has 122k of files in it's admin folder while WF has 17k.

I don't know who did what to whom. I just know these are totally different programs and that XF has a world more of features. I'm not saying it's better, more reliable, or anything else. It's different.

JackJ
  • 2004/1/31 22:10

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Charpes

Quote:
I'm trying to compare apples to apples here. If you run XF-Sections 1.04 together with the WF-Setions (as it comes in the XOOPS 2.0.6 RC) you can quickly see these are entirely different programs

Wfsections does not come with XOOPS 2.0.6?, not with my download anyway. It just has the basic "Sections" module. WFsections has most of the facilities you talk about apart from the "bulk import" thing. What version of wfsections do you have?

chippyash
  • 2004/1/31 22:18

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Cum'on boys. stop fighting.

My son has just brought in a whole pile of chocolate finger biscuits which I am willing to share with you in a virtual moment

Actually, having thought about this a little, the main problem is lack of documentation. I'm a newbie to XOOPS OK? I try, because I've been brought up properly, to find answers, before I ask questions, but a paucity of info impedes progress.

I suspect that most of the people working on XOOPS things are shall we say, short in years. Being an old git like me has its advantages (and disadvantages; I can only shag twice a night being one of them.) One of the advantages is seeing the 'bleedin obvious'. There is a distinct lack of documentation.

How about the developer people setting a rule for themselves - Don't deliver software without user docs (by which I mean documentation for the complete idiot - don't assume a background or degree in computing.) Whilst it might be fun (I agree it is) to hack code and climb hills, the real wars are won by doing the difficult things, documentation being one of them! I'm almost getting nostalgic for IBM's system manuals.

Oh, and you can judge me by my own standards when I release my own module (which by the way is to do with recipe management - anyone want to help?)

Kind regards
Ashley

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits