domineaux
Re: WFSections - Is new version coming out soon or.......
  • 2004/1/25 18:31

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

JackJ

I noticed on your site you're using the "CSLH" Crafty Syntax Line Help tool.

I need to provide some type of direct communication between the admin and users on a site I'm building. It looks like just want I'm looking for.

Would you please comment about it on a THREAD
I recently put up.

I've looked at several of the chat mods, but all I really need is something direct to the Admin to User thing. I'm concerned about any issues that should be addressed for a viable installation and especially any security issues.

----------------

Rachel
  • 2004/1/27 21:36

• Rachel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/24

please excuse me is these questions have been asked before, but how exactly do I update a wf-section module from one version to another?

I saw your post about renaming the old version of wfsection to save overwriting. This is a clever idea.

1- Then do I just upload the new version with the correct name and set read/write/exe permissions ?

2- How do I connect the new version to the existing database tables and data?

3- Will the new version automatically pickup the existing data & settings correctly?

4- What if it does not?

5- Can I revert back to my old version simply by renaming both versions again?

6- How do I disconect and remove the old version safely from the core if it's renamed something else?

7- What else should I know to get it right?

I'd really thank you if you would answer all these questions because I'm afraid to loose my articles.

JackJ
  • 2004/1/27 22:33

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Hello Rachel,

I don't have a new version, just one with bug-fixes in it. You can rename the existing folder, and upload the new folder. No database changes happen, so this will not effect your existing setup. While you are doing this you can close your site for maintenence in general settings

If you have files stored in the "Html" folder, just upload a copy. Make sure folder permissions are ok by going to "path management" in wfsections, folders or files that need permissions will be marked in red.

I don't envisage any problems as I did this succesfully, but at the end of the day only do this at your own risk..

To get back to your original files just delete (or rename and then delete later to keep the files live on-line) the folder you uploaded, and rename your old folder to the original.

Rachel
  • 2004/1/28 13:08

• Rachel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/24

Thanks for your guidance jack_j. Plese just tell me this; Do I need to click the update icon in modules page once the new version is installed and permissioned?

thank-you

simonvl
  • 2004/3/5 0:23

• simonvl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/28

For anyone who is looking for the answer to the previous question, it is YES. And it works a treat!...
I am, however, having some difficulties with permissions i.e. I have allowed anonymous users to view both my wfsections module and the individual articles but they seem to only be able to view a grey strip across the top of the page and no article appears...
If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
Simon

www.tallsimon.com

amok200
  • 2004/3/7 8:53

• amok200

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/23

Hi,

Is there any update as to when this is going to be released ? I'm waiting for this to come out to launch my site, as I will have over 400 articles in it.

BTW many of them are over 100K, will this be a problem for the new wfsection ?

I understand it is a problem with the current version. I've also heard the current wfsection has security problems which has prevented me from using it.

Thanks,

Amok

amok200
  • 2004/3/7 9:56

• amok200

• Just popping in

JackJ,

Hi, you said:

Quote:
Make sure folder permissions are ok by going to "path management" in wfsections, folders or files that need permissions will be marked in red.

What are the correct permissions for the following directories ?

modules/wfsection/cache/uploaded
modules/wfsection/cache/uploaded/temp
modules/wfsection/images/article
modules/wfsection/images/category
uploads
modules/wfsection/html

I CHMOD'ed these all to 777 but I feel uncomfortable with that. I want to ensure I have the "proper writable permissions" that the section requires, without the permissions being unecessarily too wide open for hackers to exploit.

Thanks very much,

Amok

JackJ
  • 2004/3/7 11:08

• JackJ

Quote:

What are the correct permissions for the following directories ?

modules/wfsection/cache/uploaded
modules/wfsection/cache/uploaded/temp
modules/wfsection/images/article
modules/wfsection/images/category
uploads
modules/wfsection/html

I CHMOD'ed these all to 777 but I feel uncomfortable with that. I want to ensure I have the "proper writable permissions" that the section requires, without the permissions being unecessarily too wide open for hackers to exploit.

Thanks very much,

Amok

Amok,

The permissions I use are:

Attached Files: modules/wfsection/cache/uploaded Attr: rwx rwx rwx
Attached Temp:modules/wfsection/cache/uploaded/temp Attr: rwx rwx rwx
Article Images: modules/wfsection/images/article Attr: rw- rw- rw-
Section Images: modules/wfsection/images/category Attr: rw- rw- rw-
Smilie Images: uploads Attr: rwx rwx rwx
HTML Files:modules/wfsection/html Attr: rwx rwx rwx

In general folders that involve user or admin uploads need full read/write/execute permissions. In the path management folder you can try trial and error, and see the minimum you can get away with--the general XOOPS "uploads" folder might appear to pass on 666, but this may not work in reality

amok200
  • 2004/3/7 15:52

• amok200

• Just popping in

Thanks JackJ I'll going to try those permissions, and also for your bugfixed version of wfsection which I am trying out alongside xfsection 1.0.5.

I notice that your version still has the bug where submitted articles are listed in the topten before they are published. It is detailed here:

http://linux2.ohwada.net/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=5

I'm planning to fix that topten.php according to these instructions, along with the other bugs listed in the above URL, if they aren't already in yours. Would you be so kind as to tell me which of these bugs are already fixed in yours ?

Thanks again,

Amok

JackJ
  • 2004/3/7 18:14

• JackJ

amok200

Nice fixes page, on that page only 1 and 12 were already fixed in my version.

Fixes I have in this one, that Xfsections does not are (unless they have sorted these)

email to webmaster for submissions stuck at id 1
email to webmaster not defined
empty error when submitting external HTML files

I have applied all these other fixes to the bugfixversion

thanks for the tip

regards

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits