JackJ
New Year--how do you celebrate in your country?
  • 2003/12/31 15:14

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

For some reason the Scots are famous for there ability to celebrate New Year, that is probably why people flock to Edinburgh from all over the world.

To celebrate New Year the following customs must be observed.

Traditional Scottish New Years Eve Customs:

In Scotland New Year’s Eve is called Hogmanay (Moon of the Hag) Oidhche Chaluinne (Night of the Candle) honoring the diety Hogmagog. Three cornered biscuits called hogmanays are eaten. Bonfires are lit, torches and smoking sticks are used to ward off evil spirits. After sunset people collect juniper cypress and water to purify the home. Divining rituals are done according to the directions of the winds, which are assigned their own colors.

First Footing: This is the time when friends and relatives come to visit the home. The first person who comes to the door on midnight New Year’s Eve should be a dark-haired or dark-complected man. Seeing a cat, dog, woman, red-head or beggar is unlucky. The person brings a gift of coal or whiskey to ensure prosperity in the New Year. At the moment the New Year arrives, doors and windows are opened to let out the old year and drive out the Cwn Annwn, the black dogs of the underworld who pass through. Mummer’s Plays are also performed. The actors, the White Boys of Yule, are all dressed in white, except for one dressed as the devil in black. It is bad luck to engage in marriage proposals, break glass, spin flax, sweep or carry out rubbish on New Year’s Eve.

Foods: wine, ginger cordial, cheese, bread, shortbread:[baked dessert made of sugar, butter, and rice-flour], black bun, ankersocks: [gingerbread-rye cakes], oatmeal cake, currant loaf [bread], and a pastry called scones.

Some Scots just go to bed after the bells.

Awe the best all..:)

MadFish
Re: New Year--how do you celebrate in your country?
  • 2003/12/31 15:28

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Wow...in Australia, we celebrate by drinking beer

...and in Thailand, we celebrate by drinking beer and (if desperate) Mekong whiskey. And think about what we are are going to do for the Thai and Chinese New Years

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/31 17:43

• Stewdio

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I.AM.Canadian

If that doesn't say Beer, I don't know what does

CBlue

Alot of Americans celebrate the New Year by getting drunk and shooting off fireworks all night long. This is the night that many an American ends up in the Emergency Room! But they have alot of fun before that happens!

I'm not a drinker anymore. I just celebrate by myself at home. But I do hope 2004 turns out to be a wonderful New Year!

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/31 18:05

• Stewdio

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Cheers to being home alone this year CBlue! For the first time ever, I'm not doing anything, going anywhere, or in fact seeing anyone.

Still, I wish everyone all the best no matter how or where your celebrating tonight. Good Luck in the new year.

responsibly!

Cheers!

Catzwolf
  • 2003/12/31 18:05

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Geez Jack,

You've been living in Dorset tooooo long now and forgot what its really like lol

I must admit, I have been in many places at 'new year' and the only place where you feel like its one big family is in Scotland at New year.

There is never a closed door then and anybody and everybody will always be welcomed tae join in the fun.

It's funny, but the English are Scots wanabes at this time oh thee year but they miss the point. They seems to think that New years eve is about drinking as much as possible. Its not, its about friends and family, loved ones, dear ones and those who have passed on. Its about seeing another year passed safe and sound and tae a guid new year we hope tae hae!

Oh and by the way auld langs was written by an English man, no a Scot! lol

Guid new year everybody!

DonXoop

Interesting stories. In Colombia you involve the scarecrow that was made for Christmas time (was sitting on the porch during the season) and wish it goodbye. You fill it with fireworks and set it alight at midnight. Besides the usual food and drink you eat 12 grapes and think about something from the past year and something new after each one. You then take a piece of luggage and run around the house/yard so that you don't go stale for the new year.

Grandpa worked all day on a paper baloon "globo". Hanging below is a ball of cotton soaked in kerosene. The children carefully hold a corner with grandpa below very gently lighting it up. It slowly fills the baloon and eventually rises where the children must take care to let go when "papi" says to. It floats up and away. A beautiful sight. If in the city you give some older boys a treat to chase it down in case it lands on a house before going out.

Happy a happy.

JackJ
  • 2003/12/31 19:18

• JackJ

• Since: 2003/8/31

Catswolf, I stole that lot from some Scottish sites--you don't think I remembered all that man?

I do remember some good new years in Scotland. My mum/dad and sister and her family all live here, so its good to have "my ane folk" around me at this time of year.

The Scots have a reputation that stuck from long ago--but the drinking culture has universally changed now anyway--with young people for example having no qualms about going out to get deliberately plastered. I know quite a few women here that could drink me under the table. (if i was still drinking)

I have a 6'6 giant of a ex-polis friend here that plays the bagpipes for a living? He does great business at weddings, do's and burns nites. I am in the wrong business..lol

YourHelp
  • 2003/12/31 23:34

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Beer, and fireworks allways go off in Australia right on 12 does not matter where you live im in a country town with a very small pop and i thought to myself we wont have fireworks to my suprize the bastards went off right on 12pm last night and so did the dogs all night

I like to celebrate by shooting U.S soliders in a computer game called VIETCONG .. i love my AK and love my scotch and cola wooooooooooooo

For all of you who dont have this game my jo i recommend it it is the bomb for online play make sure you have 1.6 ghz of hard drive space and an excellent vidio card and shit lots of ram.

ctbxz
  • 2004/1/1 7:07

• ctbxz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/17

I'm Chinese,In XiDianUniversity XiAn China,we meet our friends and have a party and eat lots of nice foods

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits