RicoCali
Proposal for an XOOPS standards committee
  • 2003/12/7 12:02

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

The XOOPS community is growing and I see more and more modules out there and hard to decifer which ones I should even consider. The other problem that I'm beginning to se are forks and hybrids of the original modules. This is a long process because you have to determine if its written as an "official" fit for XOOPS. Smarty, use of core classes instead of reinventing, standard procedures, etc... I know there is a "VOTE" thing for modules and themes but thats not good enough. It would be nice if an XOOPS committee gives an "OFFICIAL" stamp for modules. I'm not encouraging other modules to go away...I want them to continue as is.

Mithrandir
Re: Proposal for an XOOPS standards committee

And such an "OFFICIAL stamp" is already in the works - criteria not defined yet, but people are working on it

carnuke
  • 2003/12/7 15:46

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Are you suggesting there should be a specification for building a module to a certain 'acceptable standard'? One that complies with the full funtionality of the current System?

I've asked that question myself... I am sure the vast majority of modules are only built with care and a conscientious approach, but what's to stop someone releasing a module that is so badly constructed that it can even damage or retard the XOOPS system? And what about security?

The challenge is that any official standard can only be adopted on a voluntary basis. Unless you ONLY use modules produced by official team developers AND obtained from an official XOOPS site.

Here's another issue... Submitting a module to a XOOPS site for inclusion in the 'official module repository' would require that the module be both script checked and for funtionality prior to being deemed 'official and standardised' Quite a task I imagine.

These are just my thoughts, but I think you raise an important point. Perhaps more senior members will add some guidance here

Richard

carnuke
  • 2003/12/7 15:50

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Ok,... Ive just seen MithyT2 has posted while I was writing my post above. VOILA!

hsalazar
  • 2003/12/7 16:56

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Here's some things that have been done so far:

1. We've agreed on a modules and themes certification process, so both modules and themes will have to comply with a set of requirements in order to receive a 'seal of approval' indicating they're certified by XOOPS.

2. We'll have official registries to list certified modules.

3. We are working in the precise description of the certification processes.

4. Thanks to philou, we have initial versions of modules that will assist us in this regard.

So we're working to put an order in this matter, and are struggling to do it without hampering the creativity and strenght of theme and module developers out there.

Cheers.

lykoszine
  • 2003/12/7 17:31

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

Slightly off topic, but adding info to xoops_version as to what version of XOOPS the module will run might be an idea.

Then when installing a module there should be a check for compatibility.

Thoughts?

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/7 21:01

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

It's nice to hear that this is already thought of. I stay tuned to whats going on with PHPNUKE and its evolution. It's a hacked paradigm. As it grows it will be almost impossible to maintain. Also, I spoke to someone in this community that mentioned that "anyone can build a module and intentionally leave some security holes to fit their agenda". That scares me because if the module is never scrutinized, the author can interogate a heavy traffic site and get any information he/she wants. The developers are always on top of security issues for XOOPS. But what is blindly overlooked are the third party modules. Who is scrutinizing that? I think the third party module developers should continue to do whatever they are doing and people that like their stuff should continue to do whatever they want to do. But for other people that want an "official" label in what they use should also have that option.

Herko
  • 2003/12/7 21:10

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

hsalazar wrote:
Here's some things that have been done so far:

1. We've agreed on a modules and themes certification process, so both modules and themes will have to comply with a set of requirements in order to receive a 'seal of approval' indicating they're certified by XOOPS.

2. We'll have official registries to list certified modules.

3. We are working in the precise description of the certification processes.

4. Thanks to philou, we have initial versions of modules that will assist us in this regard.

So we're working to put an order in this matter, and are struggling to do it without hampering the creativity and strenght of theme and module developers out there.

Cheers.

Ackbarr is in charge of the Quality Control Team that has this as it's primary task COntact him for a position on the team

Herko

ackbarr

As Herko mentioned above, one of the primary tasks of the QC team will be reviewing new modules and themes. Currently the team consists of me, myself and I, and I would welcome any other interested people to PM or email me at ackbarr@xoops.org. Interested people should:

1. Have a strong php background.
2. Familiar with the XOOPS core classes / functions.
3. Pay attention to details.
4. Strong communication skills.
5. Smarty knowledge is a plus.
6. CSS knowledge

lykoszine
  • 2003/12/8 15:04

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

ackbarr,

I am not sure if you have reasonable expectations there, cos I don't know if the '2' people who satisfy your criteria will be interested.

I reckon I qualify on about 3 out of 6 there, and I am on the module team! lol

Anyway, good luck

[Posted in a not entirely serious manner]

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (180 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits