malexandria
Re: XOOPS 2.1 Core development Roadmap

Quote:
A system of display that includes elements of the great work Draven has done with his gaining-mass site would be outstanding, such as the news topics category listings and side blocks that let you handpick news items for display. A block like I manually created in my newshax site would be great too, where we could list a certain number of stories of our choice by the headline and a fixed-size thumbnail image. I have a hand-coded version on my site at www.newshax.com, on top of the right column.

You have a very cool little site, with lots of page views :). I like the way you have the top forums topic
block on the Forum Home Page.

Draven
  • 2003/10/31 18:39

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Quote:

Big_Bro wrote:
Malexandria hit the proverbial nail on the head. Without a doubt, more and more powerful content display blocks are the number one need in my book.

A content management system needs to have multitudes of methods for displaying the content that it manages, it can be perfect in managing content for a webmaster but if there are only basic ways to display that content, it fails to deliver it's promise. In my opinion slick management pages etc would be nice but I'd rather present the nice face to my users and have a crappy backend interface than vice versa.

A system of display that includes elements of the great work Draven has done with his gaining-mass site would be outstanding, such as the news topics category listings and side blocks that let you handpick news items for display. A block like I manually created in my newshax site would be great too, where we could list a certain number of stories of our choice by the headline and a fixed-size thumbnail image. I have a hand-coded version on my site at www.newshax.com, on top of the right column.

Anyway, my point is that admin interface improvements are certainly welcome but are a much lower priority than public interface improvements.

These are all things concerning modules, not the core which is what this discussion is suppose to be focusing on. That's why everyone is talking about the backend. The title is "Core development Roadmap", modules will come at a later date as Herko laid out in this post.

btw, thanks for the compliment.

malexandria

Well, is not the News Module and how content is displayed MAJOR part of the core?

Draven
  • 2003/10/31 19:17

• Draven

• Module Developer

Quote:

malexandria wrote:
Well, is not the News Module and how content is displayed MAJOR part of the core?

As far as I know the news "module" is not part of the core. It's a module. And content display is done through templates and blocks within the modules, not the core. If you want to alter what the blocks display, alter the blocks code in /modulename/blocks/

malexandria

Quote:
As far as I know the news "module" is not part of the core. It's a module. And content display is done through templates and blocks within the modules, not the core. If you want to alter what the blocks display, alter the blocks code in /modulename/blocks/

Yes, it's easy and possible to hack blocks, but the point of improving XOOPS is to make it so that the less things people have to hack the better, and these block/display issues, imo, are a major part of the core of any CMS, otherwise A CMS becomes "pointless" if you end up forcing people to hack blocks and news/article posting modules to get it to do certain basic things that all relate to handling "CONTENT."

And the News Module is part of the "core." The core comprises several standard modules which the new module development team is working on and these include News, Sections, Blocks, Forums, Downloads, Headlines, etc. At the moment the first module getting the major overhall treatment is the Sections Mod. But all of these modules are part of the "Xoops" standard "Core," such as it is.

I don't think you can have any realistic discussion about the "core" without talking about improving these modules and what the end user and administrative processes are going to be. Sure you can talk about function classes until you are blue in the face, but without real world applications it's pointless, especially for all of us non-coders.

Draven
  • 2003/10/31 20:38

• Draven

• Module Developer

Quote:
Yes, it's easy and possible to hack blocks, but the point of improving XOOPS is to make it so that the less things people have to hack the better, and these block/display issues, imo, are a major part of the core of any CMS, otherwise A CMS becomes "pointless" if you end up forcing people to hack blocks and news/article posting modules to get it to do certain basic things that all relate to handling "CONTENT."

I'm not talking about hacking blocks, I'm talking about creating additional blocks to cater to your needs. This in no way has anything to do with the core of Xoops. Everything you guys have mentioned concerning the news module can be done by creating, not hacking, additional blocks and altering templates. Trust me, I've done it. It requires no change at all to the core of Xoops.

Quote:
And the News Module is part of the "core." The core comprises several standard modules which the new module development team is working on and these include News, Sections, Blocks, Forums, Downloads, Headlines, etc. At the moment the first module getting the major overhall treatment is the Sections Mod. But all of these modules are part of the "Xoops" standard "Core," such as it is.

No, it isn't part of the "core". It was developed by the core team but is not required to run xoops. The core implies the required files for running Xoops. The brains of the system.

I'm well aware of what the modules team is working on, since I'm on it. All of the above mentioned modules have been handed over to the module team because they are no longer being developed by the core team. In fact, eventually there won't be any modules included WTIH the core (other than the system module), but rather you will choose between prepackaged Xoop products depending on your needs. Community portals will include the required modules to run such a site. Same for a magazine style site, etc.

Quote:
I don't think you can have any realistic discussion about the "core" without talking about improving these modules and what the end user and administrative processes are going to be. Sure you can talk about function classes until you are blue in the face, but without real world applications it's pointless, especially for all of us non-coders.

On the contrary, there are many things to discuss. The problem is the ones who require these changes are not the end user, it is the module developers. End users only see the end product, which is made up almost entirely of the modules used. SO I understand your confusion but your concerns don't concern the core, but the modules involved. We, the module developers, need these "silly" classes to build the modules you use. And that is what this discussion is about. As I stated earlier, there will be a discussion on modules at a later date and you can reveal your concerns about them then. For now lets stay focused on the topic at hand, the core.

malexandria

I'm trying not to get annoyed here, but modules ARE a very important part of The Core, and as such, the community should way in on what they'd like to see in the core modules. Otherwise stripping the modules out of XOOPS will totally ruin the system and make it no different than PN or PHPNuke, and one thing that XOOPS has always been good about is including a good number of quality modules out of the box.

And again, end users shouldn't have to hack files or create files, as you say, to get XOOPS to do very basic things that a CMS NEEDS to do to qualify as a CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. Without NEWS as part of the core, or any discussion on how CONTENT is displayed then, what in your opinion is the point of even using a CMS??????

Since I'm the one that will ultimately be responsible for trying to create these various XOOPS Packages for the community, having a discussion about the Core Mods that will be supported by the Devs IS IMPORTANT.

Draven
  • 2003/10/31 21:08

• Draven

• Module Developer

Ahhhh, modules are not the core. Are they needed to produce a certain type of site, yes? But all this can be discussed in the MODULES ROADMAP!!!! Additional blocks are a discussion for MODULES, and will be included by the MODULE DEVELOPERS. Not the core team. And not the end user.

No one said that quality modules aren't going to be provided for the community, that's the whole point of the module team. They will be given XOOPS seals of approval by the quality control team. Nothing is going to change other than the fact the core team is no longer developing modules but rather concentrating on the core itself and providing the tools the module developers need to create bigger and better modules, which is what we should be discussing here. It will be the responsibility of the product team to package the modules WITH the core for the desired site style.

This conversation shouldn't be degrading like this but you're upsetting me now because you continue to talk about MODULE problems and/or advancements and not core problems/advancements for the needs of the module developers.

Now please lets stop bickering and return to the topic at hand. All of your concerns for modules can be addressed in the Modules Roadmap.

malexandria

ok, fine, whatever. I no longer care.

ackbarr

Ok guys - I must step in here.

Modules are very important to the functionality of Xoops, because without them, the site doesn't do anything. However this discussion was intended to discuss additional features to XOOPS itself - that is the system module and files outside of any module.

The lithmus test for these suggestions: does this feature affect 1 particular module, or can this feature be utilized within other modules as well. In some cases this line is blurry. Which features should be controlled by the core and which should be controlled within a module (category management, for example)?

At the moment, lets restrict this discussion to changes to the core and move other changes to standard modules into additional threads

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits