Anonymous
The Bar Has Been Raised ...
  • 2003/8/7 3:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

if you haven't checked it out yet, i encourage you to check out the latest build of mambo 4.5. though i still dig the output of XOOPS over mambo, the new admin back-end is stunning. this latest mambo build raises the bar in ease of use in open source portal software. i hope that the xoops' team is taking notes.

http://www.mamboserver.com/demo/administrator/
username: admin
password: admin

Herko
Re: The Bar Has Been Raised ...
  • 2003/8/7 4:26

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I agree. IMO that's one of the things we need to get in the roadmap for XOOPS 2.1 and further The backend admin side really kicks ass indeed!

Herko

naish
  • 2003/9/22 17:30

• naish

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/10

Well, it does kick ass, but it is IE only, we did some tests on Mozilla, Konquerer and Safari.

Everyone of the failed at some point.

I hope XOOPS will have better x-compatability.

Naish

DobePhat
  • 2003/9/22 18:31

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

in particular I like being able to add Meta Content
to news articls etc. Geesh really a clean interface.

I think XOOPS could do without the excessive ping images in the admin sections. They look nice but really,
there should be an option to disable the images and just use the links.

No matter which CMS:Fancy effects are not needed in the admin side, functionality and useability and speed are the important factors.

well thats my opinion, and Im xoopsing to it!

naish
  • 2003/9/22 19:23

• naish

• Just popping in

Well, I am working on an article module that will support any kind of key/value pairs that you would want to attach to it.

Furthermore on of our other developers are working on a module to make the creation of static pages a snap. Think EZCMS (postnuke module) on steroids.

We are also looking into creating a Tigra Menu Pro module to support a dropdown navigation..

Of course these statements are forward looking and blah blah blah..

I would personally like to the see the admin module streamlined a'la Mambo server. It's very easy to use, but somewhat slow.

Also the use of icons in the admin section is a small design flaw in my opinion as it provides no way of selecting an alternative module graphics when using another language than english.

I could very well imagine an admin section with drop down menus, one for each module. Perhaps I should do a mockup.

Perhaps I should ask one of our graphics artists to produce a mockup.

hsalazar
  • 2003/9/23 5:25

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

naish:

Welcome to XOOPS! With all that enthusiasm I'm sure we'll soon have many new additions to this excellent CMS. My suggestion would be to get in touch with Catzwolf, as he's been charged with the leadership of the Modules Developement Team. This is in particular regarding the static pages creation module, for I think he's almost ready with another module of the WF family to do just that.

In my very first theme I included Tigra Menu Pro and it worked fine in MSIE and NN, but not in Macintosh. Stopped using if because at the time I didn't want to leave those users out, but IMHO Tigra's products are among the best.

Many of us would like a more sleek interface in the admin side. In fact, a more usable and friendly interface. I'm sure Onokazu shares the same concerns. It's just not as easy because XOOPS code is more complex, or so it seems to me.

I've been playing a bit with different notions for the admin side. I'll be happy to hear about your team's ideas. I'm sure smoething good will come out of it.

Again, welcome to the XOOPS community and let's rock'n'roll! (I always wanted to say this )

Cheers.

naish
  • 2003/9/23 6:13

• naish

• Just popping in

Thanks, perhaps I should check up with Catzwolf. Since we have barely started working on our page module his might come in handy.

We haven't given much thought to the admin side, we have just concluded that it would be a good idea to streamline it a little bit.

Let's get back to it later.

Gamut
  • 2003/10/17 11:57

• Gamut

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/5 1

Something that immediately strikes me about the new Mambo version is the rapid speed of page loading...it is blistering. I thought XOOPS was fast compared to other Nuke forks but that Mambo 4.5 makes even XOOPS look pedestrian. If Mambo gets more modules of the right type then it would be pretty hard to beat.

lykoszine
  • 2003/10/17 12:48

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

Naish, these sound like good ideas to me!

"Well, I am working on an article module that will support any kind of key/value pairs that you would want to attach to it."

In my view it would be better to try and integrate this in the core, rather than create a new module, then is could re reused. Talk to Ackbarr, who is doing somehing re custom fields in the user end...

"Furthermore on of our other developers are working on a module to make the creation of static pages a snap. Think EZCMS (postnuke module) on steroids."

With smarty should be quite doable, no? Of course you need to think wht can and can't be static...

Go to it!

lykoszine
  • 2003/10/17 12:50

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

In my reviews module, I have 3 stright text fields, in which I have a clumsy implementation of user configurablilty, ie, admin can rename these fields, and the desc for them.

I think a framewrok to implement this in any module would be amazing!

Login

Who's Online

155 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 155

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits