josecruz
dictionary modules
  • 2003/7/27 6:50

• josecruz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/28

has anyone ever seen a module that taps into the numerous online dictionaries to provide word meaning lookups; Dictionaries like Websters online, or the cia factbook?

I could probably cobble something together myself, but I thought I'd check to see if soemthing was already around.

Jose

HughG
Re: dictionary modules
  • 2003/7/27 8:32

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

I haven't seen any myself...

I do use a script - it requires an M$ office product to be installed on your computer...but you can spell check any form input (like forums). If you are interested in it...lemme know.

PS - no wise cracks from anyone like, "I've read your posts, Why don't you use the damn thing then!"

josecruz
  • 2003/7/27 9:00

• josecruz

• Just popping in

ahh,

not so much for that purpose. I have a budding elearning site and I wanted to give my english students a convenient little block where they could type in unknown words and get results in a pop-up window or something.

but thanks anyway.

Jose

tom
  • 2003/7/27 12:12

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Why use some one else's service, when you could create your own dictionary, theres a module called glossaire/glossary it might be worth a try, now fair enough thats a lot of data input, but another good reason to keep and bring people onto your site.

Just a thought.

if you want a modul then please try the links below my signature.

josecruz
  • 2003/7/27 14:24

• josecruz

• Just popping in

well to be honest the idea of trying to create a glossary that would be big enough to rival Webster's online dictionary is a pretty daunting task, what is it now, about 2 million words in the English language?

thanks for the idea tho'

Jose

tom
  • 2003/7/27 14:44

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I know it would be a big task and I don't know how big your work force is, you would need to pull in resources to help.

But this would help make your site a bigger resource and also be a bigger crowed puller.

I know it's a big task but something to bear in mind.

Olivier
  • 2003/7/27 15:05

• Olivier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/16

Creating a module will be hard because you have not access to the main database of those online directory (i suppose)
and so except if you use an iframe in which you include the result page you won't be able to show results (but it will be horrible)

And it will a dictonary per language (i am french so I don't think I will put an english dictionnary on my site )

But your idea is not bad !

Why not trying to make a block in php with a search field and when you validate it opens in a new (framed or not) window the result of the request !

But I don't kno if this is easy to do (I will try )

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

josecruz wrote:
has anyone ever seen a module that taps into the numerous online dictionaries to provide word meaning lookups; Dictionaries like Websters online, or the cia factbook?

I could probably cobble something together myself, but I thought I'd check to see if soemthing was already around.

Jose

Check out what we did at www.GLOAMING.us

We have a thesauraus, dictionary, and legal dictionary that we added inside of a custom block using scripts supplied by law.com and www.m-w.com

Derya
  • 2003/9/15 21:31

• Derya

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/12

If you want to have your own glossary module, than I have a quick &dirty integration of the great glossword script. you only need to make this changes:
Move glossword dir from zip into your XOOPS module dir.
Open "db_config.php" and make your database changes. Select "xoops_gw_" as table-prefix.
Install like glossword install guide.

open index.php in your glossword dir:
add "include "../../mainfile.php";" to line 490
and "include XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/header.php";" to line 491
uncomment "$oHdr->add('Content-Type: text/html; charset='.$L->languagelist("2"));" maybe line 492
and add "include XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/footer.php";" bevor ?>

Create a xoops_version.php like this
<?php
$modversion
['name'] = 'Glossword';
$modversion['version'] = 1.00;
$modversion['description'] = '';
$modversion['credits'] = "";
$modversion['author'] = "";
$modversion['help'] = "";
$modversion['license'] = "GPL see LICENSE";
$modversion['official'] = 1;
$modversion['image'] = "logo.gif";
$modversion['dirname'] = "glossword";

//Admin things
$modversion['hasAdmin'] = 0;
$modversion['adminmenu'] = "";

// Menu
$modversion['hasMain'] = 1;
?>

Now, you need to install it in your module admin.And it must work, now.

Glossword needs utf-8 encoding, that means you need to change the encoding of your language files. Open them with notepad.exe and save them in utf-8, change the XOOPS encoding in your languages global.php file and set mulitbyte encoding.

The difficult think is to change the encoding of your content. If your site doesn't use special charecters, maybe you don't have to change somethink. But if you use special characters, you need to change it...how? don't ask me...

Now, you can make changes to glossword templates to fit it into your site and if you want you can try to create some blocks

This is only a quick&dirty integration, this means the Admin section of glossword is standalone, it's not inluded in xoops. You and your glossary editors need an glossword accout to manage the glossaries.
But on userside it looks like every oother XOOPS module.

Here you can download glossword:
Sourceforge project page
Homepage is not everytime up...but the versions are newer than on the project page and you can finde here all language packs.

comegona
  • 2004/3/10 2:29

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

Hello
I tried the above mods but it dosent seem to work.
Quote:
Now, you need to install it in your module admin.And it must work, now.

It comes up with
Quote:
Unable to install . Error(s): Module already exists.

and when I try to go to the index page directely I get Quote:
Selected module does not exist!

although I do get the XOOPS header and footer with the blocks.
Any help in this would be appreciated.

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits