linux-ws
File permission problem. It keep changing back?
  • 2010/7/20 18:11

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/20

I tried to change the write permissions to read only on the "makefile.php" file, in the main xoops installation directory, but it keeps changing the file permissions back to "0644", instead of "0444", which is read only:

Problems:

Quote:
WARNING: File /home/username/public_html/mainfile.php is writeable by the server.
Please change the permission of this file for security reasons.
in Unix (444), in Win32 (read-only)

Quote:
WARNING: Folder /home/username/public_html/xoops_lib is inside DocumentRoot!
For security considerations it is highly suggested to move it out of DocumentRoot.

Quote:
WARNING: Folder /home/username/public_html/xoops_data is inside DocumentRoot!
For security considerations it is highly suggested to move it out of DocumentRoot.

I have tried to

-Change the file permissions using FileZilla FTP client, to 0444, or 444, which is read only, but when I log in my XOOPS administration menu, I receive the same problem, as in the 1st quote above.

-Then when I go back to my FTP client, and right click on the "makefile.php" file, and check the permissions, it says it is: "0644" / "644".

The questions:

- How can I change the permission on the "makefile.php" file from "0644" to "0444", because somehow, it keeps changing back automatically, and I have no idea why it is doing that?

- How can I fix the problems in the last 2 quotes above, and is it really necessary to move those folders, and if it is, what are the consequences if I do not move those folders, and just keep them there.. ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

linux-ws
Re: File permission problem. It keep changing back?
  • 2010/7/21 19:16

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

If I contact my webhost, and ask them to change the permissions on the "makefile.php" file from "0644" to "0444" (read only), would that keep the permissions at "0444" (read only), or can my XOOPS installation somehow be at fault?

Tazman_al
  • 2010/7/22 19:12

• Tazman_al

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Hi Linux-ws

The file permissions should be changed using Filezilla (that is what I use).
Do you have file access to your webspace after loggin-in to your hosting account?
There should be options there to change file permissions.
If that doesn't work then I suggest contacting your hosting provider.

Quote:
xoops_lib is inside DocumentRoot!

Quote:
xoops_data is inside DocumentRoot!

Not all hosts allow for folders to be outside document root (mine doesn't).
I created another directory and renamed both folders (during installation).

If you move and rename these 2 folders you will need to edit mainfile.php as well.
Look for
// Physical path to the XOOPS library directory WITHOUT trailing slash
define'XOOPS_PATH''/xxxxxxx/htdocs/xxxx/xoops_lib' );
// Physical path to the XOOPS datafiles (writable) directory WITHOUT trailing slash
define'XOOPS_VAR_PATH''/xxxxxxx/htdocs/xxxx/xoops_data' );

Then update these 2 lines with the new path and names.

Best to do this first before changing permissions to 444!!

Hope this helps.

Al

madDan
  • 2010/7/22 21:15

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/1/6 1

Are you on a linux or windows server for starters? if windows the ftp software will not reflect the true status of the file permissions.

red_Slider

; yes - that's the true .. as a linux user, and unix server system user I can say:
use TC commander or fork of it
PS I like Krusader!
PS PS I don't remember but it was "rww"
PS PS PS I'll never, ever use Windows again ... if U try linux U will know why ;)

linux-ws
  • 2010/7/23 21:23

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

Reply to: Tazman_al

1. I am using FileZilla FTP client as the main FTP client for my website (latest version).

2. I logged into my webhost cPanel account, and changed the permissions from 0644 to 0444, and it worked. This time the file permissions stay the say at 0444 (read only).

3. About the DocumentRoot problem, I did just like you said, and moved the xoops_data and xoops_lib folder out of the /public_html folder, then modified the mainfile.php file with the new location for those folders, and now I am not getting any error messages at all! Thank you so much!

Reply to: madDan

I am not sure which service operating system my webhost is using. It may be a Windows server though, since yes, just like you said, it does keep changing the file permissions back when you use FileZilla to change file permissions.

Reply to: red_Slider

I have been using Windows all my life, with the exception of using Linux between times, for file backup, to check out the latest live cd/dvd, try to learn how to use it, etc. - I think I got introduced to Linux around 2003, by a friend, and now I have been using it a lot lately for the part 2-3 years.

Therefore, about 2 days ago, I decided that I had nothing to loose, and upgrade from MS Windows to Linux, although there were few problems to encounter - such as my Windows files would not work (games, label creator, flash player, java, etc...), and also that I would have to get used to how less cluttered in every way is Linux.

I choose to use Linux, because it was more secure, less cluttered, and plus, lots of free Linux packaged to choose from.

So, I decided to install the latest Linux Mint 9 i386 DVD distribution, and after getting some used to (because of different way Linux displays graphics), I am not used to using Linux Mint 9.

Also, I mainly choose Linux to use as my main operating system, because I have been using Linux for years now, to test, and backup my system, so I am comfortable in using it, also, I am able to much easily keep many more folders organized, because of the easy to use ext4 Linux file system, and finally, the main problem with Windows that I did not like, is if you have a lot of long directory names (especially when doing website design), if something small goes wrong with the Windows file system, it asks you to use CHKDSK to check and fix the file system, even though there is nothing wrong with the file system, and that I can still access all my files.

Then if, and after you would let CHKDSK problem fix your file system, all your organized folders become from long folders into mess, such as how the CHKDSK program make them into FILE_1, and so on, plus I've had lots of problems using Windows and finding programs for use with it, so Linux is my best solution.

I won't be coming back to Windows at all now, since Linux is much better is every single way.

Thank you very much.

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits