Mazarin
Re: Module recommendation for document management
  • 2009/10/22 15:00

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

1. It works fine creating and deleting Permission Groups. Regarding modifications to permissions, perhaps the rather unintuitive user interface is fooling you? After you have selected the relevant users and/or user groups, you must use the update permissions button at the bottom of the page, not the update button at the top of the page, which only updates the properties of the document.

This behaviour is repeated on several admin pages, with certain settings being connected to certain submit buttons. Now, if I could only figure what the permission groups are actually used for... (and what are those permission to change o e g u ???)

2. Yes, it works fine to upload a document, edit and allow permission for the registered user group and update permissions. When I log back in with my registered user, it is fully accessible. Are you sure that you are looking in the right place in the folder structure? Are you sure the permission was saved?

As I said in a previous post, I have only played around a bit with DMS, but so far it seems to work quite well actually (and it will work even better after I fix the order of that undefined variable , but I've found out it doesn't affect the page breaks). I think the biggest drawback of this module is its unintuitive user interface, but that is not a showstopper to me, but rather something that I will have to compensate for by creating user guidelines for the user.

Also, let's hope someone eventually picks up on this module and develops it further

lintu
  • 2009/10/22 17:36

• lintu

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/18

I was finally able to view one of the document as a user after I gave view permission at the document level. The permission I set at the root folder level is not working. Also, I got the following errors in debug mode -

1. Clicked on 'Update Permissions':
Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 214

Notice: Undefined offset: 2 in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 227

Notice: Undefined variable: post_slct_user_ro in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 241

Notice: Undefined variable: post_slct_user_e in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 254

2. Clicked on 'Propagate permission' (this also deleted the pervious settings):

/modules/dms/repository

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in file /modules/dms/folder_options.php line 159

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in file /modules/dms/folder_options.php line 236

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in file /modules/dms/folder_options.php line 249

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in file /modules/dms/folder_options.php line 261

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in file /modules/dms/folder_options.php line 331

Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_POST_VARS in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 183

Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_GET_VARS in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 184

Mazarin
  • 2009/10/22 19:39

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

First of all, is it even possible to set general permissions on root level? I haven't found a way except for doing it on document level.

Second, I do get the same notices, but once again they seem to cause no errors.

Third, propagate permissions works fine without any errors or notices. Regarding the disappearing of the setting, maybe you forgot to save the setting by klicking on update setting before you clicked on propagate permissions?

ghia
  • 2009/10/22 23:39

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

@lintu
Quote:
Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_POST_VARS in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 183

Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_GET_VARS in file /modules/dms/inc_perms_set.php line 184

These error messages come, because the higher PHP version (or its settings) you use is blocking these variables.
Search in all files for all occurences of HTTP_POST_VARS, HTTP_GET_VARS and replace them by _POST, _GET .
This may also be the cause why you have problems with setting the permissions.
Correct this before further testing.

I assume the other errors are a result of the nature of HTML forms, which don't include the inputs of checkboxes, when they are off. I think they are not influencing the funtioning of the module.

The non-object seems to happen when an obj_id supplied as argument to folder_options.php, does not exists in the database table dms_objects.

lintu
  • 2009/10/23 15:48

• lintu

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/18

Hi ghia,

Thanks for the help with the code, I will apply them accordingly.

Regards,
Abu

btesec
  • 2010/4/12 17:55

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

"let's hope someone eventually picks up on this module and develops it further"
It would be great to see someone or a group pick up this module for development. I am willing to provide guidance/suggestions and testing as I have worked closely with people who do records management.
This is a mod that intranets need in order to share files efficiently. What do you all think?
let me know.

Mamba
  • 2010/4/12 21:03

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
"let's hope someone eventually picks up on this module and develops it further"
It would be great to see someone or a group pick up this module for development. I am willing to provide guidance/suggestions and testing as I have worked closely with people who do records management.
This is a mod that intranets need in order to share files efficiently. What do you all think?

I think it's a great idea and a great opportunity for another team collaboration (modeled after the successful chat module teamwork).

We need more teams working together and supporting each other...

Peekay
  • 2010/4/13 1:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Ah, takes me back... to 2004!

A thread here and also here if they are of any help.

DMS was extremely complicated but quite powerful. However, I too recall having a problem with permissions. I eventually used Knowledge Tree for that particular project (sadly, not a Xoops module).

DMS is a really old module. I think, as Mamba suggests, it would need a serious overhaul by a seasoned developer to make it 100% reliable with a modern version of Xoops.

deepak267
  • 2010/4/13 11:34

• deepak267

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/8/15

I was thinking of a Document management. and i would prefer as xoops module. I happy to work with developers (if any).

I will install and see what I can fix. Can someone point me to the latest sourcecode.

Deepak

btesec
  • 2010/4/13 15:32

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

Module downlaod listed here:
https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=21&lid=1135

I suggest you go over to the dev site also:
http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?dms

We need some devs/programmers to do the coding and by extension we can test and make recommendations.

This mod would really be a strenght for Xoops, similar to other great Xoops mods, especially for intranets.

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits