allie
remembering logins?
  • 2003/2/17 17:35

• allie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/16

hi,

Is there a way to get XOOPS to remember logins? everytime I go back to my site or to this one I have to relogin... Perhaps it is my browser... Just wondering though...

w4z004
Re: remembering logins?
  • 2003/2/17 18:14

• w4z004

• XOOPS Advisor

• Since: 2001/12/13

only the name via cookie.
is the only that can store in XOOPS (in user preferences.)

For the passw for security reason, need introduce manually.

regen_r8
  • 2003/2/17 18:48

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

In the System Admin / Preferences / General Preferences dialog, there is a session timeout parameter that defaults to 15 minutes in the X2 install. You can extend this timeout to a more reasonable amount of time say 2 hours or all day if you want.

In XOOPS 1.3.8 it was specified in seconds, and so ya had ta do a little math!!!

Higher volume sites like this one, have a shorter session expiration time to improve performance.

Herko
  • 2003/2/17 20:03

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

the session time is a dangerous setting to set higher: it keeps the session alive (and the server can't use that setting for that period of time, therefore being busier) all the while you are gone and not using it. I'd recommend keeping it at 15 minutes.

Herko

joeydlb
  • 2003/2/18 11:34

• joeydlb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/14

Yes I have been having that same problem,and when I switched from phpbb to xoops, the amount of forum posts dropped dramatically cause people had to keep relogging in. For alot of people it would be great to have this option.

I wonder if there will ever be just like a small checkbox somone can make so if the user wants to store their pw/login info on the computer they can and stay logged in.

ryana
  • 2003/2/18 12:57

• ryana

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/9 6

I would like to see a "never log me out" checkbox added to the login block as well.

On a different note: It would be nice if, upon replying in the forum, the default cursor position was in the message box

regen_r8
  • 2003/2/18 13:56

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Actually, it is just extra sessions in the database that stick around, and how long before the session cookie on your client expires. Only dangerousif you have hundreds of users, but much less annoying than having my session time out because I got a phone call interrupting a post. It does however confuse the hell out of the Who's Online block...

It just happened again this morning. I started a post on this site, got interrupted and when I hit submit...

Whack!!!

My public site has timeout set at 1 hour, but my test site has it set for 1 day (because I hate logging in, and nobody lse uses it.)

EyeKeeper
  • 2003/2/18 14:18

• EyeKeeper

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/6/11

but even if you consider serious security control depending on the site it doesn't even matter if you keep the login sotred in a cookie..
but we need to remember there are some servers and countries where the use of cookies isn't welcome...
So far if you need a real security control it'd be better to have a site running in a https server...

AndyB
  • 2003/2/25 14:22

• AndyB

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/19

Quote:

RedEye wrote:

but we need to remember there are some servers and countries where the use of cookies isn't welcome...

So what? Even if such places do exist people there would not switch this option while installing the software.

Andy

AndyB
  • 2003/2/25 14:24

• AndyB

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/19

Quote:

regen_r8 wrote:
Actually, it is just extra sessions in the database that stick around, and how long before the session cookie on your client expires. Only dangerousif you have hundreds of users, but much less annoying than having my session time out because I got a phone call interrupting a post.

I don't get it - why this should be dangerous? Somehow /. manages thousands of users and you have to login only once on a new browser installation, which is perfectly reasonable.

Andy

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits