tom
Re: MySpace style module
  • 2007/4/6 0:52

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Wow that PHPizabi looks really good, looking at their themes and modules, it seems something new is release nearly every day.

mmm, I've never come accross this before, where did you find out about it.

I also like they have both free and commercial options for modules and themes, they also have a section where they show freelancers to work a project if you wish.

Very nice, I'm gonna download and have a try.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/6 13:44

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

It's a shame that XOOPS has become almost too freeform and cluttered. One of the major problems is that there's almost too many things that do the identical thing, they all get developemnt time wasted on them and nothing really seems to move forward. Also there's the look and feel of disjointed or patchwork across the application in XOOPS where, things just dont really feel or look fluid.

If PHPibazi can be upgraded with a better and more powerful forum and we can get some good integration with an IRC server I think we're goign to try it out on our financial community/social netwroking site.

Quote:

tom wrote:
Wow that PHPizabi looks really good, looking at their themes and modules, it seems something new is release nearly every day.

mmm, I've never come accross this before, where did you find out about it.

I also like they have both free and commercial options for modules and themes, they also have a section where they show freelancers to work a project if you wish.

Very nice, I'm gonna download and have a try.

phppp
  • 2007/4/6 14:36

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

WallStArb wrote:
We'd be interested in helping/funding a project like this. We're looking for someothing with similar features to expand an existing financial social networking site.

If you still have such interest, please let me know.

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/6 15:20

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

phppp wrote:
Quote:

If you still have such interest, please let me know.

Absolutely we still are interested in building something with the myspace functionality.

I'd be more then happy to help defray costs and make the end product available to all XOOPS users.

Take a look at PHPibiza - It's got some great features, and it looks very clean. It does seem to lack some of XOOPS nice addons.

I've been using XOOPS for nearly 2 1/2 years and I'd like to see it cleaned up. Over the past few years it feels like its turned into a bit of a Frankensteins monster, and TBH when a new potential user especially professional people see it for the first time I think there's a very big turn off in the look and feel.

I'd liek to see XOOPS as the leading CMS but it won't ever be taken seriously if it doesnt look serious.

jeffgr
  • 2007/4/6 17:49

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I'm currently building a site where I am going to merge X

jeffgr
  • 2007/4/6 17:53

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I'm currently building a site where I am going to merge XOOPS and PHPibiza. By merge I just mean using the two applications on the same domain, so they appear to be the same site. I am going to use the XOOPS side to manage and use certain modules, while I am going to use the PHPibiza side for the user profiles, dicsussion, personal gallerys etc.

If someone could bridge the logins between the two applications, I think this would go along way to adding in the myspace functionality in Xoops. It's almost like we could use PHPibiza as a "myspace module" in this regard. I'm going to try and tackle this myself, but if anyone else wants to give it a go (merging the logins) that would be awesome too.

jeffgr

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/6 18:54

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

It sounds like a good quick solution. I'd like to see a more longterm solution but it would be a step in the right direction. PHPizabi does lack modules such as news/articles, doesnt have a very good forum and there's many other weaknesses, but it looks like a pretty tight integrated package.

I'm torn between spending dev time and money on makign XOOPS more likehttp://www.phpizabi.net/ or adding some of the features I like in XOOPS to PHPIzabi.

DobePhat
  • 2007/4/6 19:00

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

My space is now owned by Fox...

any rate...

But I agree...
All myspaces' main feature is, is a super duper Myprofile type of module...

So why not just participate in the further development of that module and its integration into the rest of xoops?
Other features exist in various capacities and modules in xoops.Video, music, cgalleries, blogs, etc.

And XOOPS kix a!! dont even doubt it..just give in to it!
-

Developing successful online communities is hard as hell...there will never be a quick fix. I hope you look more into seeing what we all can do with xoops, Ive been tempted to try others but I always come back to xoops.

And myspace is nothing really to emulate for the future..next year it will be something else...and the year after that...and the year after that...

Wallst:Quote:
I really hope XOOPS stops looking and feeling so disjointed and patched, into a much more integrated and professional platform.

Also a lot of people get bothered by the way xoops's site "looks", this particular sites function isnt to impress you with appearance its -to function-.

I have seen many professional sites that you would have never guessed were powered by xoops..but it takes thinking outside the box ya know? Take a reall good luck at the the themes available for instance...

Either way best of luck to you and I hope others turn their focus to just increasing the power of our profiles modules..
(I think Ill start examining the different versions myself too.)

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/6 22:39

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

I think the big problem is that XOOPS got away from it's community roots, and it used to be the best answer for community sites. It's been suffering froma lack of cohesive vision and direction for the past 2 years its pretty much stood still. Very few modules are being developed, and most I have seen are bug fixes and exploit fixes.

XOOPS really needs some fresh ideas, and to release some old bagage - especially on this site. No need for 50 different mods that do the same thing, weed out the crap and focus efforts on one or 2 good implementations. When everyone keeps reiventing the same wheel all you get is a bunch of mediocre wheels. XOOPS needs some leadership and focus.

tom
  • 2007/4/6 22:39

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I've had a little play around with the demo, and it seems pretty cool, although it has it's problems, as most do.

There are tons of modules still missing from xoops, or have had it's development stopped, there is also little choice, or little known about the choices which are available (EG news, forums, etc).

There are tons of modules we're missing, or are no longer supported, including blogs, streamers - podcasts, E-commerce, subscription, auction, community modules (like userpage, but more), E-mail to allow members to create their own e-mail accounts like msn/yahoo/google, link directories, etc, etc.

look at all the options Joomla has for example:http://extensions.joomla.org

This is not a knock against xoops, I love xoops, and have many community sites with thousands and thousands of members, but am finding it harder and harder to do what I want with xoops.

I've outsourced in the past and spent thousands of pounds (£££'s) too, unfortunately this has been getting other commercial scripts to work with XOOPS as a module as they already have what I want, and those I can't release.

Other modules I'd like to see, perhaps userpage could be built to work like this, but have a look athttp://bookclub.meetup.com

A module which could encompass the features of this site would be great.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits