svaha
Re: Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update?
  • 2007/3/11 12:15

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Yes, it is sad that there's no communication. But people complaining about not being informed does tend to put the developers off. It doesn't add to their motivation to do all that work for everyone. And when that happens, they will do what they want to do, and that might or might not be develop code in silence.

I'm not complaining, just showing my interest in the people behind the core project.
I'm not asking for someone to defend himself, just asking :"How are you doing?"

Thank you for explaining the 'alpha' thing to me, I'm of no use here, 'cause I have no clue of the working of the core.
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

Burning
  • 2007/3/11 14:09

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

@svaha

You're looking something like that ?

[I don't know if an english version is available)

Sorry for my english
Still learning CSS and... english

svaha
  • 2007/3/11 21:24

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:

Burning wrote:
@svaha

You're looking something like that ?

[I don't know if an english version is available)

Sorry for my english

Yes, that is what I was looking for Burning, I don't speak French very well, but I can read and understand it.
Merci beaucoup.

I noticed that the last update on the svn was 6 to 8 months ago, as written here before.
That's a long time, no problem for me though at the moment, because the existing stable core versions are good for me. (I'm using 2.013, 2.016 and 2.2.4)
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

xguide
  • 2007/3/24 18:23

• xguide

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/11

Each time a XOOPS user, or developer ask about XOOPS development, the managers team say it is community fault. But the users are not developers.

And developers without news about development or core developers documentation can not do contribution. Where is the new XOOPS with documentation to contributors work on improvements!?

This is very bad situation!

Herko
  • 2007/3/24 20:29

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

xguide wrote:
Each time a XOOPS user, or developer ask about XOOPS development, the managers team say it is community fault. But the users are not developers.

1. Nobody is saying it is the community's fault. My post was stating the motivation for those members of the community that develop, and the consequence of the treatment they get from some of the community.

2. You quickly switch from community to users who are not the developers. Then who creates XOOPS? Who writes the new codes, who tests new codes, who writes developer documentation, who creates the new architecture, who creates the roadmaps, who writes the classes, who backports the code to earlier versions? All in their free time, in their own time, without pay or -as stated in my earlier post- other incentives?
The developers *are* part of the community. And the community steps up and provides high quality developers.

Xguide, you seem to have a decent knowledge of javascript, why not *show* the core development group what *you* want to do with that knowledge for the XOOPS 2.3 core? Discuss your ideas on the sf.net core development forums, submit code examples, and if they are good, I'm sure your work will be recognised as such and be treated accordingly.

Herko

xguide
Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update? Are we stupid people?
  • 2007/3/25 21:18

• xguide

• Just popping in

Quote:
Then who creates XOOPS? Who writes the new codes, who tests new codes, who writes developer documentation, who creates the new architecture, who creates the roadmaps, who writes the classes, who backports the code to earlier versions? All in their free time, in their own time, without pay or -as stated in my earlier post- other incentives?

This is good question. I did not found developers working on a new core or documentation. But i check permissions and i see most team members banned. You say it is stable but the true it is not secure. And because there is not new code, developers and users can not contribute, work on improvements, test or report bugs.

Sorry, i did not know the project team expects to be paid or other incentives. Usual open source it is not a paid-job?

The project is sick, i can understand you do not have a developer to code a new core. I can only help users on java scripts for free. But i can not help you to find core developers. Maybe you can pay with adds revenues? I have no solution to your problem. Sorry.

I quote here a fun team with great humor. Smile is good when problem is important.

"We Do Technology

Does your PHP network have double back-end XHTML redundancy? Is your PDA hard drive triple access enabled for Wi-Fi management? If you don't have end-point security in your adaptive architecture strategy, then you need us.

You might not even know if you need us. Which means you need us even more. You don't understand how much you need us because you're not as smart as us. You don't understand things like Continuous Network Access Compliance Upload Speed (even though you pretend like you do at parties when people talk about it). You don't understand these things because you're not smart. But that's OK. We're smart. You can trust us.

If you hire us, you'll never see us in person. We might respond to your emails from time-to-time, but usually not. It's not that we're too busy to talk to you, it's just that your emails are usually so stupid that we're too busy laughing about them with everyone in the office.

Contact Us today. Do something smart for a change."

http://www.duhcorp.com/

Good Luck.

vaughan
  • 2007/3/25 23:07

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

@xguide:

explain in detail how you come to this >

Quote:

This is good question. I did not found developers working on a new core or documentation. But i check permissions and i see most team members banned. You say it is stable but the true it is not secure.

you checked permissions & see most team members banned? excuse me but what permissions & what members banned from what? where? nobody gets banned from here without good reason or a majority vote (& a good reason)

the truth is it's not secure? stop piss arsing around and backup your claims? is that your opinion or an opinion of someone else giving you that information? if it's not secure, what's not secure? say why it's not secure, prove your accusation and if you are really wanting to help, fix the insecurity if there is 1.

on a side note. if anyone is planning on turning this topic into another dig at the devs or management team or anything at all that is not constructive or relevant to the topic title: "Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update?" i'll close the topic completely.

Herko
Re: Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update? Are we stupid people?
  • 2007/3/26 7:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

xguide wrote:
I did not found developers working on a new core or documentation.

Where did you search? Skalpa, phppp, pemen, rowd are working on the core -when they have the time.

Quote:
But i check permissions and i see most team members banned.

Most team members banned, right. You might be confused by the active poster and member whose alias is 'banned', but isn't really banned from posting at all...
And like vaughan said, if people are banned, they deserved it.

Quote:
You say it is stable but the true it is not secure.

You mean you are withholding information about known security risks from the community? Is that transparency and an open community and development oriented attitude? If you have information about security vulnerabilities, let the core developers know. You can e-mail them, PM them, or even send an e-mail to security@xoops.org.
If you don't there is no proof that the XOOPS core is insecure.

And I haven't even touched the subject of secure vs. stable. You're mixing up things just for the fun of it.

Quote:
And because there is not new code, developers and users can not contribute, work on improvements, test or report bugs.

True. Many eyeballs make all bugs shallow, as Eric Raymond's famous quote goes. But has it occurred to you at all that there aren't many bug reports because the XOOPS core is stable and secure? Often the simple answers are the best.

Quote:
Sorry, i did not know the project team expects to be paid or other incentives. Usual open source it is not a paid-job?

Where on earth did you get those two ideas?
1. If they don't get paid, it means that other things (like working for a living) take priority over the XOOPS development. Demanding 'the XOOPS project team' do more work will not change those priorities.
2. Please browse to the website www.gnu.org. I bet you know this one already, but here's the central idea to their philosophy:
What is Free Software?
Quote:
www.gnu.org:
“Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech”, not as in “free beer”.

If professionals work on an open source project, shouldn't they get paid? What about businesses who provide value added services based on open source products? Are they wrong? No, they're not. There's no reason whatsoever that open source cannot be paid jobs.
That doesn't mean the community should pay those members of the community who provide free-of-charge services. But paying professionals for a job isn't ruled out at all!

Quote:
The project is sick, i can understand you do not have a developer to code a new core. I can only help users on java scripts for free. But i can not help you to find core developers. Maybe you can pay with adds revenues? I have no solution to your problem. Sorry.

Sick? I see no sickness other then false and silly notions. I didn't ask you to find new core developers, so don't be sorry that you're not the solution to a self-invented problem.

If you want to help, do so. If not, then don't. It's about that freedom. You can choose all by yourself If you want and are up to it, you can show the XOOPS community what you're worth with Javascript. This is not a challenge, but the way open source development works. Show your pers what you're worth, and get credited accordingly.

So far, we haven't seen much that's worth a lot...

Herko

MadFish
  • 2007/3/26 9:44

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
You say it is stable but the true it is not secure.

Over the past 3 years or so that I've been using XOOPS, all security hole that has been found has been patched quickly, usually within 2-3 days. I think the track record on security at XOOPS has been quite good.

If it wasn't, I wouldn't use it.

xguide
  • 2007/3/26 10:14

• xguide

• Just popping in

Quote:
So far, we haven't seen much that's worth a lot...

Me too. No developers, new core, no documentation. Sorry, if machine translation hurts you. I was not my intention to wound your ego or blame your efforts.
My young son start to use XOOPS with friends for a personal project at school and ask me to help. I thought there was mature people managing this project. But your words let me understand it is not a place to old man like me. But I am happy old man. No developer contact me for security question. Do not worry. You can think it is stable if you compare to situation 2 years ago. But last time you say it was secure, Mr. Gijoe post with your account (find on the XOOPS forums).
Why you think developers of php and MySQL still release new versions? You understand technologies evolves and software evolution is a reason for XOOPS security problems. XOOPS is good for people without skills or time to learn to build simple and small site. But it is important developers think of new code for future.

Good Luck.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits