Mithrandir
Re: XOOPS Newsletter Mailer

1. Emailing certain groups
SmartMail is designed as a newsletter module, where users sign up for one or more newsletters. Emailing specific users or user groups has not been in the requirements (for version 1)

I also think that opt-in is important and therefore users should sign up actively. However, I can see the following scenarios:

a. Send newsletter to everyone, who has opted for the "receive periodic notices from..." or whatever it is called (as this can be considered a kind of opt-in)

b. Import subscribers from one or more groups - ie. all members of this/these group(s) are added to the subscriber list. Downside: Later registrations are not automatically added to the subscriber list

It is not an either/or scenario, I can see both of them included, maybe in a combination where members of (a) group(s) that have opted-in by checking the "receive periodic..." are added - however not in version 1.

2. Emailing attachments
This should be doable with a specific block added to the newsletter or dispatch. We'll have to consider how to do this best, but it is far from impossible.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

barryc
  • 2006/10/16 22:04

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Mith,

good to hear from you.

My scenario is an opt-in situation. All members of our association get the newsletter. Many have asked for receiving it electronically. We could just tell everyone to go to the web site and sign up (opt in), of course, but we want a mechanism whereby we would not send the paper version to those who opt for the e-version. That will save us postage and will reduce the work load of our volunteers. That's why I was looking for a way to send to specific groups. My idea was that our members would be in one group or the other. The "other" would be the group from which we download names and addresses for mailing paper versions. My intention was that future new members would, at the time of joining, opt for one or the other method of distribution.

I will look forward to some method of attaching a file to the "cover email". I hope it comes soon.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

djriel
  • 2006/12/6 8:12

• djriel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/9 1

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:

daibt wrote:
problem is it does not works correctly.

:LOL: thanks daibt for this excellent bug report! If you jiggle the whatchamacallit, you should get things working again

Herko

OTFLMFAO.... woo hoo... that's a good one :)

preachur
  • 2006/12/12 22:48

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Those SmartFactory folks are busting their butts to release what will be the best mailing list module in the WORLD. I made a small donation to them and plan on making a much bigger one this week. I hope that everyone that suggested gathering money for a mailing list project goes over there and donates to them, too. They deserve it.

Test out the alpha release of SmartMail if you don't believe me.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

marcan
  • 2006/12/13 1:13

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Hi folks !

Just to let you know : new SmartMail package is on its way ! The module is now fully functionnal. It integrates its own mailing engine but the module also comes with a standalone Mail Sender Service which is highly scalable and a single instance can be use to send emails from multiple sites.

I beleive we have acheive something great here ! All the merit goes to Mithrandir and Sudhaker. Thanks my friends !

Module package should be available this week for you to download and test !

We surely hope to be able to receive more donations as we have very interesting plans for next phase, but in order to acheive this, we need the support of this community ! Some have you have already help and we must thank Ampersand Design for their major financial support.

Thanks again, and stay tune for release !
.:: marcan (aka mal aka Marc-André) ::.
.:: Open Source :: The SmartFactory ::.
.:: XOOPS Professional Services :: INBOX International ::.

patagon
  • 2006/12/13 2:51

• patagon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/1/8 0

hi,

i dont know if this has been mentioned before (I have read a few post here but not all) but it would be cool if there was a chance to create a template that can have different info (from a module, say categories in news for example) based on a module criteria. for example I would make a template where some info changes depending on the location the user entered (as a field in profile in 2.2). hope this makes sense, its just an idea.

draj
  • 2006/12/23 11:46

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Dear Mr. Lanciault!

Quote:

marcan wrote:
Just to let you know : new SmartMail package is on its way ! The module is now fully functionnal. It integrates its own mailing engine but the module also comes with a standalone Mail Sender Service which is highly scalable and a single instance can be use to send emails from multiple sites.

Thanks for this wonder!

I have been eagerly waiting for the final release.

What would be very interesting is to have a mailman like system, i.e. emails getting scanned, entered in the db and then emerging like usenet groups or forums.

marcan
  • 2006/12/23 12:42

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Hi friends,

We have published a pre-release on the SmartFactory for a bit more testing by other peopl then the developers

SmartMail Pre-release.

Please post your feedback and comments in the SmartMail Community Forum

Quote:
What would be very interesting is to have a mailman like system, i.e. emails getting scanned, entered in the db and then emerging like usenet groups or forums.

This was unfortunalty not the purpose of SmartMail. Maybe other developer would create this.

@patagon :
Quote:
but it would be cool if there was a chance to create a template that can have different info (from a module, say categories in news for example) based on a module criteria. for example I would make a template where some info changes depending on the location the user entered (as a field in profile in 2.2). hope this makes sense, its just an idea.

The module currently does not do that explicitely. However, since you can use as many newsletter templates as you want and since you can add any block on any newsletters, what you want is possible. You would only need to create the newsletter template you need and create the custom blocks outputing the info you need.

Cheers !
.:: marcan (aka mal aka Marc-André) ::.
.:: Open Source :: The SmartFactory ::.
.:: XOOPS Professional Services :: INBOX International ::.

LindsayStone
Re: XOOPS Newsletter Mailer HELP

I've installed the newsletter mailer but I'm having a major issue

in the admin area the "Main Config Page" and the "Create Newsletter" are not working at all when I click on them nothing happens it's just blank below the admin options.

How do I fix this?

Mamba
  • 2006/12/26 8:09

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
by marcan on 2006/12/23 7:42:11
We have published a pre-release on the SmartFactory for a bit more testing by other peopl then the developers

SmartMail Pre-release.

Please post your feedback and comments in the SmartMail Community Forum

I've installed it on 2.0.16 and first test went well.

Since I am not an expert, did anyone do a comparison between SmartMail and RMSOFT Bulletin 1.0 from XOOPS Mexico? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits