n01un0
What BLOG to use?
  • 2006/8/12 4:02

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/9

I need a blog where each user can have thier own personal blog and post. Which blog module should I use?

Also, whats the difference between XPress and the Wordpress module? Is Wordpress the updated version?

metropolis
Re: What BLOG to use?
  • 2006/8/12 6:18

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

XPress is WordPress made in a XOOPS module.. It's probably the module you are looking for.

Unfortunately it has the following bugs:

- The email gateway (send emails to a specfied address and let them be published as blog entries automatically) does not work
- The "latest comments in blogs"-blocks disappear when you update the module

And don't expect any support when you write bug reports.

Apart from that, it's a good module.

jensclas

If you use this one make sure you set it only for registered users to comment - attracts spammers like ants to sugar otherwise.

JMorris
  • 2006/8/12 13:19

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

For blogs where only the webmaster or trusted users will be posting, xPress by far. For sites that need a lighter multiuser solution that is more tightly integrated with XOOPS, WeBLog is my second choice. It is especially well suited for non-techy users who might be overwhelmed by xPress.

HTH.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

n01un0
  • 2006/8/12 15:34

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
For blogs where only the webmaster or trusted users will be posting, xPress by far. For sites that need a lighter multiuser solution that is more tightly integrated with XOOPS, WeBLog is my second choice. It is especially well suited for non-techy users who might be overwhelmed by xPress.

HTH.

James

Tried installing this today:

Unable to install weblog. Error(s):
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'reads int(100) NOT NULL default '0', trackbacks int(11) NOT NULL default '0', ' at line 10

I'm guessing this has to do with my server PHP5?

phppp
  • 2006/8/12 15:46

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

metropolis wrote:

Please don't make such comments on some stuff that you don't know what happens behind.

As the author of the module and other modules you also complained, I expect your respect for my past in-time contribution and helpful help.

JMorris
  • 2006/8/12 17:48

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

n01un0 wrote:

Tried installing this today:

Unable to install weblog. Error(s):
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'reads int(100) NOT NULL default '0', trackbacks int(11) NOT NULL default '0', ' at line 10

I'm guessing this has to do with my server PHP5?

Most likely it is due to your server running PHP5. To the best of my knowledge, WeBLog has not been maintained for quite some time. A real shame. It has a lot of promise for a community oriented Blog module.

WordPress is currently working on a true multi-user version of their Blog app, and I really hope DJ will have time to port that over to XOOPS as well.

Thank you DJ for all your work. metropolis obviously does not understand that XOOPS is an avocation and not a vocation for most of us.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

n01un0
Let the flames begin.....
  • 2006/8/13 3:41

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Quote:

WeBLog has not been maintained for quite some time. A real shame. It has a lot of promise for a community oriented Blog module.

Well I seem to find that most if not a majority of modules in the repository are "abandoned" or no longer being worked on or updated. I love XOOPS but I wonder what has happened or what the future holds in store for it and its users. It seems there are only a handful of people here still writing and porting to integrate with XOOPS compared to a year or more ago. How many NEW (useful) modules have really been released in the past year? Even the core of XOOPS has got me concerned. I am using 2.2.4 and it seems like it has almost been abandoned. I know they are trying to bridge some things between the new 2 and 2.2 but it is still frustrating. This along with the advances of other things as mentioned above like PHP5, I wonder how much longer I can continue using XOOPS before most of what is wanted or available is even usable.

Frustrated,

NO1UNO

Let the flames begin..........

Swain
Re: Let the flames begin.....
  • 2006/8/13 4:40

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I think the problem with modules is we have 2.0.14 being considered the last stable release, with most modules (atleast it seems to me) having been written for 2.2X. I think many module writers may have given up when they saw 2.2X was no longer supported. I am hoping with the next version we will see more new modules. I would love to see Wordpress MU ported.

metropolis
  • 2006/8/13 7:04

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

metropolis wrote:

As the author of the module and other modules you also complained, I expect your respect for my past in-time contribution and helpful help.

I am sorry, but I will write down my point of view whenever somebody asks for certain modules.

Your modules are brilliant, but my bugreports are not the only ones you simply don't answer.

I think this is an important point when it comes to the question "do I install this or that module" and support should be taken into consideration.

Whatever the reason is: It's a fact, you don't answer bug reports. Sorry to say that.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits