tedsmith
A REALLY GOOD Search Module\Facility?
  • 2006/4/26 11:36

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Hi

I'm about to embark on my 2nd Intranet for my department. But they need a really good search facility - one that will search both the database itself as well as, ideally, one that can index external material like MS Word Documents, spreadsheets etc stored on the server but not actually part of the web site itself.

I know there are a few web based search facilites but other than Xoogle, I'm not sure of any are 'ported' for Xoops.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ted

Dave_L
Re: A REALLY GOOD Search Module\Facility?
  • 2006/4/26 12:43

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

A partial answer:

I'm using Swish-e for indexing/searching .pdf files. It supports other non-text file types as well, but I'm not sure if that's self-contained, or if you need external packages.

hervet
  • 2006/4/29 16:49

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

I'm not going to give you a good solution nor a good idea but something you should not use, Index Server under Windows.

I've been using it with NT4 and Windows 2000 .... that's a calamity !

m0nty
  • 2006/4/29 17:05

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

can't think of any off hand..

but as herve says, don't use windows indexing.. lol

in fact you're better off disabling indexing in the services section, as it uses resources and it's useless at doing what it's intended for..

mikeh
  • 2006/4/29 19:25

• mikeh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/18

there is a XOOPS module of phpdig
am fairly certain it has a pdf search feature and databases with some work,
can do sites, docs in folders etc almost straight out of the box

tedsmith
  • 2006/5/1 14:20

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Hi guys

I've read about XOOPS Digger here but that doesn't appear to have been developed for quite some time and looks like it never got fully released.

DigMod (based on PHPDig) as suggested by Mike looks good in that it is still being developed, and looks like it can also work outside of Xoops, but it doesn't look like it indexes everything that I need 'out of the box' so to speak.

Swish-E looks like the most advanced out of them all and looking at the client base it clearly cuts the mustard! My only concern is how easy it is to implement - it looks like it's not going to be a piece of cake to get working.

Any other ideas in the meantime will be greatfully received, but as it stands I think Swish-E will be the one. And no, I had no plans of using MS indexing

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits