sskhalid
Disappointed with the lack of responses
  • 2006/4/27 8:57

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/18

To the XOOPS community and Developers:

I posted a thread a few days ago in this forum :

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=215891&topic_id=49053&forum=27

I also posted this bug in the XOOPS 2.2 Bug reports forum.

SO far, I have only had ONE person who tried to help me. I indicated in the thread that XOOPS in its current form is unuseable for me. It's a major bug, and I cannot trace the problem. The problem itself is not very hard to confirm (I asked in my thread if someone can help me isolate the problem by doing a SMALL test - not taking hours of their time).

It's been many days now, and I am getting extremely frustrated by the lack of responses. XOOPS is a good product, and unfortunately the problem started happening right at the end of development life cycle (e.g. when the site was almost complete). Now we are 'sort of' locked in, and can't move away or start from scratch as that will take a very long time. If I had known at the beginning that the community and more importantly the developers were not actively helping out the users, I wouldn't have given XOOPS a second look. Yes, I agree that open source is a wypiwyg (What you pay is what you get) model, I would have thought the developers respond through SOME support channel. If site/forums is not an official support channel, then what is ?

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Cheers

solo71
Re: Disappointed with the lack of responses
  • 2006/4/27 9:10

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't think you have to blame developpers or users about the lack of response to your problem.

Anyway, the actuall core developper concluded this:

Quote:
Skalap said:

To clarify a few things: 2.2 is, technically speaking, a two years leap backward for XOOPS. It is not only a lot slower, but its architecture has also been greatly damaged in a way that makes it impossible to fix entirely.

The persons you need to blame for this are people who were in charge of the communication regarding this version. If you had been member of the french speaking community, you would have known this since the beginning. Unfortunately, it hasn't been done here...

hydrO
  • 2006/4/27 11:20

• hydrO

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/8 8

I would agree with sskhalid that the response getting from the XOOPS community this year really sucks!
Download Dhivehi mp3s
[size=x-small]www.gnatoll.com[/size]

sskhalid
  • 2006/4/27 13:11

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

Sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt - JD and Quest are now helping me. I just got a bit annoyed that no one was looking at the problem.

You guys are doing a good job - very good product! If I get this sorted out I will recommend this to other people.

Cheers

Quest
  • 2006/4/27 13:30

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

No Problem. Your frustration is actually understood by most. In fact-I was told to calm down a bit once.

I don't believe you were pointing fingers so to say so what I am about to say does not in anyway fall on you.

I don't think pointing fingers is a good thing in any community. XOOPS is a worldwide work in progress and we are all part of the community at large. Getting into, trying to get into a conversation or even insinuating one Support Community is better than the other etc is just a flagrant bunch of CRAP!!!

So for those who want to try or insinuate blame or finger pointing tactics just remember this:

For everytime you point your finger at someone there are at least three more fingers pointing back at you!

nuff-said.

Have a great day all and Happy Xoopsing. Here's my favorite that drove Bender bonkers...

Xoopity doo dah, Xoopity Ay, my oh my what a Xoopity Day!

jensclas

Sorry you felt this way but we do our best.

Unfortunately some of us are much more capable of supporting 2.0 version users as we don't use 2.2. The other thing is it has been a really busy time with (many members of )the community taking a good hard look at itself so it can be better and stronger and your need for help came in the middle of this. Many of those most able to help were also very busy holding us all together and moving on.

Glad you have some help now and we hope there will be less frustration in the future.

charpres
  • 2006/4/27 19:37

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

The 2.2 update, fork, dead end, or whatever you choose to call it, was/is unfortunate. I wasted a good deal of time trying to "upgrade" sites only to have to go back to 2.0x in frustration.

Folks who are new to XOOPS are probably baffled by what they should be using. Logically, 2.2x should be better than 2.0x.

Oh well....

sskhalid
  • 2006/4/27 20:04

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

Thats what I have now discovered - trying to get my head around this 2.2.4 < > 2.0.x version naming convention :(

Any suggestions on how to get back to previous version without any headaches (exporting data etc)

jensclas

Check my response in your request forhelp post.

Cheers

Cuidiu
  • 2006/4/28 2:28

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Interesting. I posted about this (2.2.3 vs 2.0) the other day and wasn't told this at all. What seemed important was the security patch. Well, now I know. I have not made the site live so I guess I'll have to go down to version 2.0 instead. Now if I could just remember which modules I took that were geared for version 2.2.3...
Quote:
Skalap said:
To clarify a few things: 2.2 is, technically speaking, a two years leap backward for XOOPS. It is not only a lot slower, but its architecture has also been greatly damaged in a way that makes it impossible to fix entirely.

Quote:
The persons you need to blame for this are people who were in charge of the communication regarding this version. If you had been member of the french speaking community, you would have known this since the beginning. Unfortunately, it hasn't been done here...
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits