bluenova
Vote for features

An interesting idea which I thought might be worth mentioning here.

On the 'Gallery' website they have an function where by people can vote on feature requests. People receive 1 vote upon registering and can acquire more votes by participating on the forums. This would mean that the most wanted features would be looked at first.

What do you think?

The vote page for gallery can be located here:
http://gallery.menalto.com/sfvote

This is how they work it:
Forum Posts / Votes
0 / 1
1-9 / 10
10-19 / 20
20-99 / 30
100-999 / 40
1000+ / 50

Plus 1 vote for every 4 months of membership on this site.

You can vote from -2 to +5 votes on any feature request.

When a feature request is completed users votes are then freed up to vote on other feature requests.

The list of requests comes directly from sf.net

davidl2
Re: Vote for features
  • 2006/3/23 13:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It's certainly an idea to look into.

m0nty
  • 2006/3/23 14:34

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

great idea :)

*ponders what he would vote for with 57 votes* lol

wtravel

Hmmm, I should think of some way to spam this forum then, otherwise I will never be able to get enough votes compared to David and Monty

m0nty
  • 2006/3/23 14:52

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

is that 50 votes for every 1000 posts.. lol

Alan-A
  • 2006/3/23 15:19

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

But who is going to write the hack to manage this in the membership module?

(Just in fun!)

Sounds like a good idea & could be a way of helping programmers to concentrating their resources.

Alan

bluenova

Quote:

I no developer, just an idea floater

But I do think this would be a good way to bring the community more into the direction and development of the project.

It would ease developers, as they wouldn't have to worry about prioritising feature requests, and it would also encourage people to help out there fellow xoopsers on the forums. All good IMO

tom
  • 2006/3/23 16:57

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I think that could be a rather cool feature to implement, but thats providing the voted options do get created.

Cool idea.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Herko
  • 2006/3/23 17:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

bluenova wrote:
Quote:

I no developer, just an idea floater

Me too, and that's where I think this idea will fail. We have literally hundreds of 'bestest ideas ever that will make XOOPS the most popular CMS ever', some of them from myself as well. I am not sure if the developers actually have a problem finding out what the users want. It's not that we have a whole herd of them idly grazing wondering what to do with their talents.

Having said that, if we could link this with earmarked donations, we might find it easier to get the most popular features and or modules written by someone if he finds the donations make up for the resources he/she needs to spend on creating the code.

Basically a common-pool module order module

Herko

Mamba
  • 2006/3/23 17:43

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Me too, and that's where I think this idea will fail.

You never know until you try!

I've seen it before done by Borland. I think, everybody had 5 votes and they could give it away anyway they wanted. All 5 votes to one request, or 1 vote to 5 different requests.

You're right - there are a lot of good ideas floating around, but this is an easy way to find what people want.

Speaking of woting and ideas - can somebody tell us where we are with the redesign of the Website? I haven't been here for a while, so I don't if I missed something, or if the people in charge of the redesign dropped the ball. There were a lot of comments, proposals, ideas - but I didn't see anything coming out of this. Did I miss something?

Quote:

Having said that, if we could link this with earmarked donations, we might find it easier to get the most popular features and or modules written by someone if he finds the donations make up for the resources he/she needs to spend on creating the code.

Basically a common-pool module order module

I see this as more prune to fail. How would we administer the money? Do you envision this as: Feature A has $100, Feature B has $50 in donations, and whoever implements it gets the money? If there are more than two developers working on it to get the money, who will judge it and decide on the winner? You? A committee? People by voting?

I could see it done similar to the "XOOPS Logo contest", but now go back and see how much time did it take you to evaluate the proposals. Who will have the time to do it for the modules/features? Remember - once people pay, they expect results!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits