khampster
newbb vs. Invision Power Board
  • 2006/2/10 3:51

• khampster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/19

Which one is better?? and why??

I been using newbb for a year.. and I think the administration menu arent as good like Invision is. My friend has a site with IPB and I liked how his menu is laid out. Is newBB going to work on a better admin control panel?

JamesSAEP
Re: newbb vs. Invision Power Board
  • 2006/2/10 4:04

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Agreed, the IPB admin panel is much better. CBB (newbb) is getting better with each release. CBB is the version that will be developed for XOOPS core interoperabiliy, I believe.

I've used both in numerous sites, but eventually ended up putting in cbb as it interfaced better with xoops.

Just my $.02

Jharis
  • 2006/2/10 4:32

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Hi guys,

CBB will mature nicely over time. IPB has a huge following and features many experienced forum mods have come to expect. Posting suggestings is a good way to make sure CBB becomes a standard people look forward to using, and the cbb team is always willing to listen to suggestions.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

khampster
  • 2006/2/10 6:48

• khampster

• Just popping in

yea.. if newBB can redo their admin/mod control panel similar to Invision... I will love newbb forever.

I like newBB and yes its really good with the XOOPS core software everything is stable and runs fine.. its just the options you get is not that great... but i guess I will use newBB until it gets better overtime...

davidl2
  • 2006/2/10 10:39

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

IPB is a stand-alone forum, which requires hacks to work with each XOOPS revision.

CBB is designed to work natively with Xoops.

phppp
  • 2006/2/10 13:35

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

As David said, CBB is a "XOOPS" module, means that it is not only fully based on XOOPS framework, but should also be dressed up compliant with XOOPS layout.
In other words, CBB can not just copy the fontpage and/or backendpage from other standalone software. It must done in XOOPS way.

As always, we are listening :)

Speed
  • 2006/2/10 15:06

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Which SPECIFIC features would you like to see implemented in CBB?

How would your rank them in order of importance?

Why are those necessary?

Those seem to be good questions to ask yourself when requesting features rather than "I want everything X has and more". Be reasonable. Pitch your suggestion nicely. Offer to help. This last part is important as every XOOPS module has a very small staff (usually a single person) working on developing, documenting and testing.

davidl2
  • 2006/2/10 15:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Very true indeed Speed.

CBB has developed very nicely as a module, and I certainly preffer this to Phpbb (my former forum of choice before XOOPS ) - but I'm sure that suggested new features would be looked into if required ... however extra assistance is also a great help to all Module developers

khampster
  • 2006/2/10 20:24

• khampster

• Just popping in

well what is the newest and the most current module for newBB?

what are some new things that are added on to the module?

everyones input about this topic is good, and i read about everyones opinion about this. Thanks for your input guys.

m0nty
  • 2006/2/10 23:33

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

well i'm a big IPB fan, always will be (don't agree with their new policies tho) but saying that, i don't always use X-IPB forum and i can't really say all that much with regard to what sways me to using x-ipb on 1 site, and CBB on another :S

ipb has many functions though, CBB doesn't have as many, but it has the most essential functions.. i agree tho, if the admin area of it was more categorised it would be even more superb.

feature wise.. i'm going on my own usage and from other sites i manage that use ipb forum, the common features used, some which CBB has already..

admin side:

Moderator & admin Logs (the ability to see a detailed list of activities by each admin/moderator, ie. what operation they actually performed with date/time)

create password protected forums.

banners for each category?? not sure if cbb has this.

ability to set different background colours for each group, by this i mean if an admin posts then all their block is in a defined colour (ie. as it is now, .row1, row2 etc) but normal posts the same, examplehttp://chat.sundissential.com/index.php?showtopic=5379 ) this isn't a standard feature of ipb, but i did it as a hack for ipb on that site.

user side: members online today list.

more optimization on sql and http requests (there still seems to be a large pause when viewing the forum and lots of http requests before a page is viewed) not a serious issue, but it does make the forum far slower than x-ipb.

i can't really think of anymore to be honest.. that's mainly my opinion.. but speed is the main thing that governs my choice, not the features. CBB has come a hell of a long way though in the last year or so and it definitely gets better all the time..

Login

Who's Online

251 user(s) are online (175 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 251

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits