Dona_Brasil
XOOPS criminalised in the UK?

I was checking my site with Sitescore webtest, this is a free tool which rates how well designed, popular and accessible your website is.

It told me that my website is violating the British Disability Discrimination Act.

Wow.

So I checked www.xoops.org.

It told that xoops.org is violating the British Disability Discrimination Act.

Poooh.

So I clicked on the more details button.

Quote:
All pages were found in violation of the current W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.

This website is probably unlawful in Britain from the 1st October 2004. The British Disability Discrimination Act makes it unlawful to discriminate against a disabled person by refusing to provide any service provided to members of the public - including websites.

Nossa! That is a bit over the top, isn't it?

How important is this W3Cstandard realy?

m0nty
Re: XOOPS criminalised in the UK?
  • 2006/1/9 0:12

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

lmao some laws are so stupid and unenforcable it's beyond comprehension..

it's been known for along while anyway about w3c standards..

it boils down mostly to the theme you use and how you design your site.

i'm pretty sure nobody is gonna come knocking on your door with an arrest warrant.. it'd look really stupid in court, can you imagine it?

"you are hereby charged that on such and such date, you designed a website to the best of your ability that did not follow professional standards and in doing so prevented disabled users from using your site" how do you plead? haha yeah i'd love to be in front of a judge & jury on that charge.. hell i'd have a field day.. i wouldn't even need a lawyer..

that would suggest that any sites that use intense graphics and probly most flash sites that are designed for high speed users could be taken in the same context because they discriminate against poor people who can't afford fast connections.

try going to the home office site and see if that all validates properly, then goto your police forces website and governement websites.. i bet you find quite a few that also don't fully W3C validate.. lol

Peekay
  • 2006/1/9 1:59

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

There is an initiative from a XOOPS theme designer to provide an accessible theme. More details here.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

guardian2k1

Running ours through it came back with interesting results. Alot of the faults are bad html design in the modules.
"Linux is extremely user-friendly. It also happens to be extremely selective when picking its friends."

http://www.nuxified.com |http://debcentral.org

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

m0nty wrote:

it boils down mostly to the theme you use and how you design your site.

It is not entirely the theme.

For example, content produced by smartsection is not conform W3C too (don't worry, I love this module). A lot of it can be removed by switching to the html-editor but this is a hell of a job.

Many 'errors' reported by the html-validator of w3.org were easy to solve (especially those in the theme), many others were not. I think the validator was a great help to improve my site but it continues giving error-messages well beyond the optimum.

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
There is an initiative from a XOOPS theme designer to provide an accessible theme. More details here.

Thank you. It is nice to know that the FNB (Federation of Dutch Blind Libraries) prefers XOOPS.

bluenova

That's funny:

Top site scores: mywebresource.com

A XOOPS site by JMorris

DobePhat
  • 2006/1/21 18:21

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

thanks for sharing that useful resourcce.

msreality
  • 2006/1/31 5:56

• msreality

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/22

Thanks for sharing this tool!

My site is also not legal in Britan! I will try to figure out
how do do their reccommendations to be compliant.

On first try I got a 7.5 rating on Reeniemania.com, not bad for someone who didn't know php coding what-so-ever when I started!

Msreality
"A friend is a gift you give yourself!" --Anonymous

Kumonryu_Kid

I've also come across this one before, and as M0nty says, it's 99.99% unenforcable.

Like most legislation in the UK at the moment, it seems to be dreamt up by people trying to justify their job rather than to try and address any real issues - rant over.

However, it's more to do with accessability/readability standards than followin correct W3C guidlines.

If you want to try to get around it then create a text only theme with large fonts, give it a name something like "accessability" and stick it in the theme switcher. Nobody could possibly complain then (OK - Nobody *should* be able to complain about it then). If you don't want the theme switcher block visible to everyone, then create an "Accessability" link off the main page to a page with just the theme switcher on it, and maybe some explanation.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits