Speed
Mambo - Joomla! Discussion
  • 2006/1/2 18:38

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

For those of us that haven't really been following along with the news of the recent Mambo - Joomla! forking episode where their entire dev team and most mod devs left Mambo, here is a quick overview as posted to slashdot.org this morning.

Of note, while the author of the article posted it to slashdot anonymously his email points to an admin at Mambo's site.

Original site of article

What I found most interesting was the slightly divergent goals presented at the end of the article. Can we learn anything from their experiences? From their new directions?

*** Edited to remove google cache link due. It won't link properly due to spaces. ***

siweb
Re: Mambo - Joomla! Discussion
  • 2006/1/2 19:48

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

Quote:
Both Mambo and Joomla have the same major goals in mind, but will end up taking different paths to get there.

Shine
  • 2006/1/2 19:50

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

What I don't understand is why another (lost count) thread about mambo-joomla has been started about how they are doing things.
Why do we always have to look and compare with them? They go their way, XOOPS goes its own.
Not so long ago mambo was it. The way they did things was for all ok and thé example. And look what it brought.... a splitt. Mambo<->Joomla.

There are a lot of topics within thius forum with lots of ideas. Some minor and some are great. But nobody feels like DOING something actually.
I.e the topic themecontest.
I bumped this thread up today, after reading the lots of comments about the logo design and no descend XOOPS theme being available.
Lots of ppl complain about the costs of it (of which I totally agree). But where are the offered xoopstheme provided by the XOOPS community designers themselves? Do they also complain if, on the end somebody is hired to get that a descend Xoopstheme?
Just take a look and read it, all great ideas being spread but never got off of the ground. Now why is that? How come?
There is even a special xoopstheme mailinglist but within this list there is absolutely no action for months. It got stuck after lousy 3 postings.

Looking at others is fine. But on the end you have to realise WE have to do it by our selves. This community. And I think here is somekind of lack.

Really, I don't care about mambo or Joomla. At least not that much as how often it is spreaded within this forum. Keep in mind: This is Xoops.

Bush isn't Clinton or the other way around. Still both did the same job: being president on their own state of believes and preferences.

cmagana
  • 2006/1/2 19:53

• cmagana

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/8

mmm, this is a XOOPS forum!!! no mambo or joomla!!!

damaster
  • 2006/1/2 21:58

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Ola,
maybe you don't know but there was a fork here too...

There's the original XOOPS by Onokazu.
There is the XOOPS by Myth.

There is the XOOPS Cube by Onokazu.
- Here, You should ask - Why?

And Soon or... later XOOPS by Skalpa.

Pero chico, te lo digo yo, entiende quien lo quiere!
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

LazyBadger

Quote:

Shine wrote:
What I don't understand is why another (lost count) thread about mambo-joomla has been started about how they are doing things.

For one obvious reason - they had and have good community-oriented and driven real project management. XOOPS now is proving groung for some Egos, it's not managed project... I don't think even about "correctly managed project", it's haotic sporadical movements - without clean targets, plans, tecnologies to archieve selected tactic and strategic targets in short- and long-term perspective
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

mortuk
  • 2006/1/2 22:33

• mortuk

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/12/13

[Content removed] - bluenova

wtravel

Mortuk,

That seems to be a dead link (sorry, bad joke, could not help it )

LB, I do not know if my response will be considered off topic but if you see things from the joomla project that would be helpful for XOOPS then what would you suggest? The communication part is one thing, this we know, but on which other topics do you think can XOOPS improve?

toddherrold

i agree with badger. there is nothing wrong with comparing XOOPS to other cms projects. obviously, XOOPS must have some differentiation to warrant existence, but certainly XOOPS can learn from the experiences and mistakes of other popular projects. it's not about being a wannabe CMS, it's about doing things in a professional manner. Joomla/Mambo is key competition for XOOPS from everything from customers to developers. It would be extremely unwise to develop any product without fully investigating, understanding, and outsmarting your competition. it seems like from what folks are saying is that Joomla has a key competitive advantage over XOOPS in its community support, project management, and perhaps other things. To review and assess this, and then adapt XOOPS to outperform in key areas is an obvious thing to do and is most appropriate for conversation here on the boards.

BTW - i love that badger site. I also love Guanajuato!

LazyBadger

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
The communication part is one thing, this we know, but on which other topics do you think can XOOPS improve?

You make common mistake...
Communication isn't independent thing, it's a part of bigger structure - Management
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits