LazyBadger
Chaotic thinking

Yes, XOOPS lacks cool themes un mass... It's real fact, and this thread isn't first (and, sadly - not last) in Theming Evolution... some topic some time ago was even fired by me.

I can mention only small fraction of themes, for which "WOW!" level is applicable (just to note - from my POV)... They aren't always "graphics madness", but they must shoot somehow visitors... WF-* (some of) have me, two Taka's themes (from BCool) done it... Well, I can create WOW! subcat and show my imagination - from 10-15 themes (so-so)

Style of complain from tvepsorg is (mostly) "on the border", but it has some foundation and reasons... If anybody hate words - ignore it and see at problem roots.

Try to find answer on rather easy questions

"Why FOSS is live, why free software have good quality???" (accirding to monty - it must be piece of shit... Nobody hire and pay programmer for free soft)
"Why Mambo have bigger set of free attractive themes, and buggy e107 have giant packs of cool themes for any and every taste??? also free"

Problem of themes is problem of chicken and egg: while we have't themes, which can show graphics artists "All possible here", we can't have designers, which show themes, which show all "All possible in XOOPS theming" etc, etc, etc...

I solved this dilemma for me - if I found nice theme, I create it's XOOPS port
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

talunceford
Re: Chaotic thinking

www.templatemonster.com
Tim
www.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2142online.org

frankblack
  • 2005/7/13 21:33

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Quote:
"Why Mambo have bigger set of free attractive themes, and buggy e107 have giant packs of cool themes for any and every taste??? also free"

Perhaps hundreds of tiny brownies made them? Or perhaps there were lots of people WILLING to share their themes?

Quote:
I solved this dilemma for me - if I found nice theme, I create it's XOOPS port

That's the right spirit! Erm, wait a second! Where can I find them in the theme repository?

You don't need to ask me the same question. I am unassailable, because I am in the comfortable position that the only theme I needed was made by chapi for myxoops.org.

JMorris
Re: WHY????
  • 2005/7/13 21:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

@tvepsorg

Nobody here owes anybody anything. XOOPS is all volunteer. You want something from XOOPS that isn't already offered?

a) Ask someone nicely to do it
b) Learn how to do it
c) Pay someone to do it

Your choice

@fantasy

I see you don't like my cleangreen theme. Would these two be better for you?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Yes, I can do reasonably cool themes too. The thing is, 99% of my clientel are businesses and non-profit organizations. THEY DON'T WANT BLOAT! They want something that will work on MOST PEOPLE'S BROWSERS.

I am NOT a graphics artist, so I don't turn out many graphics laiden themes. Even if I was a graphics artist, I probably still wouldn't turn out many graphics laiden themes. Why? CAUSE I DON'T LIKE THEM! Is there anything wrong with them? NO! It's a matter of preference.

I don't mind constructive criticism one bit. But don't go implying that my themes are bad. Many people would be quick to disagree. And yes, I know the cleangreen theme is rather bland. I MEANT IT TO BE THAT WAY! It's targeted to businesses.

It just blows my mind how people can gripe and moan about stuff but don't do a darn thing to make a change... other than complain.

/Rant
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

davidl2
  • 2005/7/13 22:19

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Nothing wrong with your theme JM .. the two examples above are also good - depending on the sort of site

Bassman
  • 2005/7/14 0:34

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I've converted graphic-heavy themes before. Not that hard to do, but it can be time-consuming. I have even started a theme that looks a lot like one shown as an example in this thread, but I put it aside to do other things. But, like the others here, i'm not much of a graphic artist, and I find that graphic artists don't usually offer up their time for free. So, unless someone comes to me with a template that they've paid for or designed themselves, I don't do overly graphic (read "flashy") themes.

I've even converted graphic layouts for free, only to find the person who asked has given up XOOPS and changed to another CMS. So, I don't do that any more :P

Any of the designers who have posted in this thread are capable of porting almost any theme to Xoops, or designing one just as good, but I doubt they will do it for nothing :)

LazyBadger

Quote:

frankblack wrote:
Perhaps hundreds of tiny brownies made them?

Yes
Quote:
Or perhaps there were lots of people WILLING to share their themes?
Lots of - able to create impressive themes and yes - share with world

Quote:
Erm, wait a second! Where can I find them in the theme repository?

They all (4 for this moment, will finish 5-th today) are usable, but unfinished
1. CSS is dirty and store some overhead
2. Themes (good themes) must have also non-default graphics for all common objects, which I can't create - I'm not graphic artist
3. News templates require mayor redesign

But themes are published on themes.xoops2.ru (0DC-* themes on top of themes list) for preview and private requests - anybody can get it even in current form... while I hate half-ready tasks and try do the best from possible
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

tvepsorg
  • 2005/7/16 10:22

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I'm not requesting a theme, I'm just trying to get xoopsers to think outside the "blocks".

talonco
  • 2005/7/19 16:04

• talonco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/16

<a href=http://art-nomad.net/">art-nomad</a> makes some good themes if you dont mind changing some language stuff.

JMorris
  • 2005/7/19 20:31

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Is this "thinking outside of the blocks" enough for you?

Resized Image

And yes, it will be available soon. Look for the NuVu theme in the next couple days.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits