m0nty
Re: Whats going on with XOOPS
  • 2005/5/21 2:40

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

nice :) i sometimes do PR work & promotions for uk media companies like frantic records, godskitchen, gatecrasher, bbtb, goodgreef and nukleuz. i love the scene.. and of course i get to get in practically all the uk clubs/events for free (aswell as free drinks) along with friends i take along with me :) it's just all the decent clubs are more than 80 miles from where i live so i have to travel, not that i mind cos it's worth it.. when i finally get round to building my own site i'll be doing more of it tho..

(sorry to the rest for this off topic reply)

damaster
  • 2005/5/21 2:52

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

phppp
  • 2005/5/22 1:24

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

I really look forward to the planned several XOOPS Management Teams to work.

As for the former XOOPS Simplified Chinese Support Sitehttp://hiweed.com/xoops , I told Herko that the webmaster had stopped supporting XOOPS and put some words on his homepage offending XOOPS by recommending another CMS.
Herko removed that site fromhttps://xoops.org/modules/xoopspartners/ and said would also remove cn.xoops.org

Unbelievable, how many months passed?
if you checkhttp://cn.xoops.org, what could you read?!
If you do not understand Chinese, I ever translated it on this forum. If you need a humanbing translator, I am ready whenever you need.

Plz, deal with XOOPS seriously!
Plz, manage XOOPS professionally and efficiently!

When will the XOOPS management proposal get out?

phppp
  • 2005/5/22 1:37

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Sorry, I was too emtional.

A few minutes after my above post, I realized that Herko perhaps does not have the right to change xoops.org's subdomains.
If it is this case, I talked to a wrong target and would appologize.

Perhaps, I have taken XOOPS too seriously and have made too much noise.
I would not get myself involved in any more non-technical discussion.

rowdie
  • 2005/5/22 2:12

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Phppp, please continue posting about concrete issues that need to be addressed. It's due to people like you noticing problems and trying to do something about it that the system improves.

With the subdomain issue, if it's still a problem then it is good that you bring up the issue again. It was probably overlooked the first time - this time it should be fixed.

Herko
  • 2005/5/22 10:25

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

phppp, rowd, I agree, that is something I forgot completely. The subdomains need to be looked at, all of them. I *think* I have access to the subdomains, but I'll make sure that they get changed soon.

This has nothing to do with XOOPS not being taken seriously or not, but everything with available resources. IMHO. AT the moment, I'm really busy with work and the preparations of my upcoming wedding. I put about 70% of my free time into XOOPS (used to be close to 90%). I don't have all the skills, and could really use some help. Mithrandir, Carnuke, Wtravel, Ackbarr all have taken part of the job, as had Predator.

I agree that things can be more open. But being more open requires good preparation, and some people tend to forget that (not pointing any fingers here!). The roadmaps have been in preparation for a while, and due to the lack of time from my side, could have been published earlier. The new organisation model (not proposal) will be published real soon, I really want to make this as clear as possible, so everyone understands how we are going to organise things. And my goal is that I can retire from managing the project, really. That everyone knows how to start initiatives within the collective project, how guidelines, rules and standards are set, how intra project decisions are made, how people can be held accountable (very important, I would have liked to have had Pred's feedback sooner, I really do care!), and how people get assigned tasks and privileges. That whole structure does not come falling from the sky. I have based this model on discussions with the community, feedback given, discussions with the President of the Apache Software Foundation, the MMBase Foundation and some of the leading members of the open source community,I have done research on open source project managemnent with failures as well as successes. And this is the area I do have skills in.

Anyways, it's going to be a lot more open then it's ever been (and as Skalpa has stated in his post, XOOPS has never been very open, ever), and it requires that people don't question everything that is being said or done, but trust that they do their part, so you can do yours. And that is what teamwork and a community is all about, collaborating to reach the goals of something bigger then yourself (and that goes especially for me!)

Herko

rowdie
  • 2005/5/22 11:04

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Herko, you're doing a great job - I hope you didn't take my previous post as being critical in any way. It takes time to set up management structures, especially going from what basically was a pretty closed, internal structure to a community-driven one. I appreciate all the work you put into it.

Could it be an idea to just set all the language code subdomains to point to xoops.org (local support page) for now, until the XOOPS Liaison Team decides on:
1. which sites are 'official' support sites.
2. a guideline about the use of the language code subdomains.

As we once discussed, the current system doesn't allow for 2 or more local support sites in the same language. One possible solution could be to have the subdomain lead to a 'portal' page listing the local support sites for that language, if there's more than one...perhaps? Something for the Liaison team to debate, I'd say

Herko
  • 2005/5/22 11:51

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Rowdie

If you are critical, I don't mind. I can take some heat, and I also make (many?) mistakes. You don't have to tiptoe around me. But we've met twice IRL now, and that makes a huge difference IMHO. All I am asking is that people think out of their boxes and consider the situation and history as well as their observations. And that doesn't mean that everyone will understand the choices I have made and agree with them, but respectful debate with good argumentation is all I am asking. Attacking people, not showing any respect (untill I have proven to be worthy of it) is not the right way, I think. I'm not pointing any fingers here, it's just my view of how things can be improved upon, and I get disheartened and demotivated by some of the posts on this site. I'm in this for the fun of it, I don't make any money, I don't use it professionally, I've spent years of my life on this already just to make XOOPS more popular and open.

And like I said, I'm open to suggestions and critique, if put with respect and good arguments.

As for the subdomains, we definately need to look at that, how we are going to manage this. Maybe someone can start a thread on this, while I ask Ackbarr on his thoughts as server admin.

Someone (from the Liaisons team?) please start a thread [Liaisons Team] Subdomains for local support managenment or something similar

Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/5/22 14:51

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

rowdie wrote:

As we once discussed, the current system doesn't allow for 2 or more local support sites in the same language. One possible solution could be to have the subdomain lead to a 'portal' page listing the local support sites for that language, if there's more than one...perhaps? Something for the Liaison team to debate, I'd say

A portal page is a suggestion i've made as well. Great minds thinking alike?

damaster
  • 2005/5/25 18:56

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

just consider some limitations here and there as an example from a young class...

Quote:
Good day the Ants!!

Once upon a time, there was a happy and productive Ant that everyday arrived early at work.

She passed all her day working, in a joyful good mood, singing her little song.

She was happy to work and her yield was excellent but,

Misfortune! She was not supervised by a manager...

The Hornet, CEO of the business, considered that it wasn’t possible to carry on this way anymore, and he created a manager position for which he recruited a Ladybug with a lot of experiences.

The first preoccupation of the Ladybug was to organize the times of entry and exit of the ant.

She also created a report system and card shuttles. Very quickly, she needed to engage a secretary to help her to prepare the files and the reporting, so she hired a Spider that organized a classification system and that was in charge of answering the telephone.

During these times, the happy and productive ant continued to work, work and work.

The Hornet, CEO of the business, was delighted to receive the reports of the Ladybug, so well that he demanded comparative studies with graphics, indicators of activity and tendency analyzes. She needed therefore to hire a Cockroach to assist the manager and buy a new computer and printer.

Quickly enough, the happy and productive Ant begins to lower rhythm and to complain about the whole bureaucracy that was now imposed by the hornet

The Hornet, CEO of the business, consider that it was times for a check up.

He creates therefore the post of chief service to supervise the happy and productive Ant.

The post was covered by a Cicada that changed all the furniture of his office and that demanded a new ergonomic armchair as well as a new computer with flat screen.

But now, with several computers, they also needed to install a server network.

The new chief felt quickly the need to recruit an assistant (the same from his old enterprise) in order to prepare a strategic plan of piloting as well as the budgeting his new service.

In the meantime, the Ant was less and less happy and less and less productive.

"It is necessary for us to order a study on the social climate", says the Cicada.

But, one day, the Hornet, CEO of the business, while examining the sums, he realized that the service in which the happy and productive Ant worked wasn’t as profitable as before.

He called therefore the services of a prestigious consultant, MR. Owl, to do a diagnosis and to bring solutions. The Owl put up a mission of three months from which he presented his report: "there are too many employees in this service". And the Hornet, CEO of the business, fallowing his recommendations fired the Ant!

Morality:

Do not show you are a happy and productive Ant. It is better to be incompetent and useless.

The incompetent ones don’t need a supervisor, what for..? Since everyone knows it!

If despite all, you are productive, do not show that you are happy at work; they would not forgive you for it.

If you persist to be a happy and productive Ant, open your own business: at least you will not have to make the Hornet live……and Ladybug, Spider, Cicada, Owl and other Cockroach.

L&CT, hope you'll find your position !?
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Login

Who's Online

131 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 131

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits