Mithrandir
Re: Whats going on with XOOPS

War between Japan and England? Not at all (I also assume you mean the language since there aren't that many English people in the XOOPS organisation )

I acknowledge that there is a communication problem between the Japanese community and xoops.org... but I don't know how to improve that unless some Japanese step up to the task of contact person(s). I have asked for this before, but always got the answer "My English is not good enough, it is hard to write English and takes a long time to write messages".

I refuse to believe that in the entire Japanese XOOPS community there are noone able and willing to improve XOOPS as a whole by being the link between the Japanese community and the rest of the XOOPS communities. Heck, it is not just a matter of the Japanese community; ALL the local support sites and communities should have equal possibilities of communicating inter-community developments etc. to the rest of the XOOPS community.

Main problem is that since I don't use a local support site, it is very difficult for me to know what it is that the local sites need and what they can offer. For that, we need a task force or work group or something, that can come up with the ideas and how they can be realised, so we can improve this. I don't have the resources, Herko doesn't, Skalpa doesn't. Someone else must head this.

Earlier today, I received a PM from Brash and JDSeymour, who would like to revive the periodical World Of XOOPS (WOX) newsletter and give more focus to the local support sites. The requirements for this are private forums for the WOX newsletter team and the local support sites representatives, and moderator privileges for the WOX News topic for this newsletter team.
That is an example of what can (and will) happen when someone approaches us with a usable idea and is willing to give his or her share of the efforts in making it become reality.

Hoping to see much more of that kind.

m0nty
  • 2005/4/27 13:58

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i was trying to get a news team together for a while, some good points were raised in the thread by herko and myself, but the response from people at the time was minimal. maybe the timing wasn't right, i don't know.. maybe i should have extended the post more and posted it to more of the local support sites which looking back on this topic would probably have made things move a lot further. i admit i probably should have pushed more but other things needed attending to, i had work which i was paid for which i had to do, and then with designing my own website which has been on a back burner for the last 6 months as i spend more time helping others on other sites. my posts on here are all scattered at various times of day and night to the extent that some might think i never sleep at all.. (and at the moment i'm 2 days without any sleep at all)

i love xoops, and i love it's community spirit even tho sometimes you just want to slap some people but hey we're all human.. if the other local support sites are willing to participate in improving things overall then hell i'll gladly re-arrange a lot of my time to trying to achieve these goals.. i'll buy double the amount of coffee if need be..

Pnooka
  • 2005/4/27 14:06

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

Well, i do have a support site. I run the Finnish support community and were not that big, yet. When i have something to announce i come here first to read the latest news from the XOOPS community, then i take some time to translate that information to Finnish and then publish it. I also offer support mainly in Finnish for those who need it, but occasionly i do offer some support even here. It would of course be a major advantage to receive a daily or weekly newsletter from the XOOPS main site, which the could be translated to the langauge in question. But then again, i might be a bit off track here.

karedokx
Re: What's going on with XOOPS
  • 2005/4/27 15:32

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

i keep watching this topic since this afternoon (my time). i really don't know what has made phpbb upset (can't really get it from your post, phppp - but i really hope everything can be resolved well). i don't know what has happened too to the newbb team. and really sad to hear if predator is really leaving xoops?

i don't know what i can offer to help on this issue.

since my involvement with XOOPS (been 8 months now), i really learned a lot and feel like it is my home. eventhough never met every of you in person, but feel like all of you are good friends of mine.

different culture and languange among us i think is a challenge for all of us. i do hope every issue can be resolved.

i also hope japanese community can respond to all the points mentioned in this thread, step aside all the differences, and find a way to work together to achieve a better result for all of us (a better xoops: more secure, more flexible, and feature rich) - hi, it can be a suggestion to monty (?) who asked for 3 words which describe XOOPS well: secure, flexible, and rich :)

siweb
  • 2005/4/27 15:44

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

GIJOE once wrote Quote:
There was a great programmer named "minahito" in Japanese XOOPS community.
After he made a lot of great modules, he said good-bye and went to TikiWiki...

Although all of his works are great without exceptions, he made only Japanese language files.
Thus you did not hear his name all of the world but Japan.

Communication problems were there before, but is that really the main problem.

Something recent from Predator (machine translation from German)Quote:
Since I withdrew myself from the official XOOPS part (for many reasons), I in the future nothing or only few for open SOURCE will make.

I'm a regular visitor of Mambo forums and I remember what Catzwolf wrote there when he left XOOPS Quote:
Well here is my story and the reason why I have 'defected' over to Mambo.

I was up until last April a very active member of the XOOPS Core team and leader of the Module development team over there, but due to some of the core team members ability to move on and listen to what their members required, the in Core fighting and backstabbing of some of the core members, made me rethink my position with Xoops.

My own project within XOOPS was WF-Projects, where I created and wrote tons of modules for Xoops, WF-Sections, WF-Channel and many more.

Ok, I admit it but before today I had never seen Mambo at all and a college asked if it was possible we could try Mambo over XOOPS (I was shocked at this I must admit), gave her the 'look' and said I suppose so! (Throu gritted teeth mind you!).

I downloaded it, installed it on my test box and once I started looking throu (like we developers do) the code etc I was getting rather excited to say the least LOL. My first thought was 'S**t, this is what XOOPS should be like in every aspect'.

Everything about this code smacks of high quality from the core to the front end. Nice job Devs =)

Anyway, Glad to be aboard

ATB

Catz

Let he enjoy there like I'm enjoying using his modules and I hope we could learn something from his words.

Unsure futher development of forum and gallery modules, which are the most important parts of almost every community site, gave me the reason to look for other solutions. Those recent forking news strikes me again and it's like disaster waiting to happen, when nobody would win and we'll all loose. I appeal to all developers left, to combine their efforts and make a stable development of secure and future rich CMS.

Shine
  • 2005/4/27 15:50

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Recently, on the Dutch XOOPS Supportsite there was/is a discussion going on in how to improve communication between XOOPS core&module-devs and other admin/mods of local XOOPS support sites.
I suggested to Herko to start up a seperate forum here on xoops.org where only these people (xoops-core/module devsand moderators/admins of off. XOOPS supportsite) can post and read.
This way the support sites know what is going on. Can help eachother in how to give better and faster local support.
Sometimes I get local questions I cannot answer. I wish there was a place where I as moderator can turn to and being ashured of getting a quick answer, which I can pass through. It would be an improvement.
At this moment I regulary launche those question right here at xoops.org, between the other dozens of postings, and can only hope in getting an answer a.s.a.p.

By opening up a seperate XOOPS core/module dev and admin/moderators of local off. XOOPS support forum you also get an impression where off. local supportsites are located and who (persons) runs this supportsite.
Some local supportsites we know of, others we absolutely don't.
Every supportsite has its own admin who has pointed out some moderators. This admin can 'register' these persons here at XOOPS (centered person) so they will be granted to get acces to that particulary forum.

As soon as there is something new coming up this can be first posted within that forum, so the local supportsites know what can be expected and get the opportunity to ask their questions (if there are any). Interaction and Support would be much better.

Offcourse the main language would be english.
I think also for japanese users and devs this would be possible. There are always some japanese who can speak and write enough english to understand in what they are saying.
English is also not my native language. Instead of being able to ask or tell what is going on or phrase my question within 5 sentences I will take 15. So what. I am sure this is accepted and no problem.

Bundle up first these things. I am sure this would be a (small) step forward considering communication.

Grtz., Shine

ilivanov
  • 2005/4/27 16:06

• ilivanov

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Quote:

siweb wrote:

Unsure futher development of forum and gallery modules, which are the most important parts of almost every community site, gave me the reason to look for other solutions.

The forum is allready done - CBB 1.10
The gallery too, u have to choose between xcGal 1.1RC forever, XOOPSGallery (not welcomed on Apache 2.0.52), and MyAlbum-P 2.84 (another great chinese work, and in the moment the best solution)

Quote:
Those recent forking news strikes me again and it's like disaster waiting to happen, when nobody would win and we'll all loose.

From long times ago I was against this forks, but the reality is other, all of this X forks, are sometimes better, sometimes dead, sometimes very very buggy, but all of this forks shows the one thing, everyone who was not heared in XOOPS community and wanna make some improvements to core, security or cosmetic and the "main core" developers not accept it, fork comes in a week, last known looking as catzwolf says for Mambo - "XOOPS have to look like this" is called Ciamos, very buggy but sooner or later will come stable, the same is the situation with Fransico Burzi's Commercial License - officialy there is 10 forks, and over 25 clones, and who wins from that s$%&, no one.

To Shine: What means official support site, who is official and who not, when I'm giving support to Bulgarian XOOPS users, provide translation to them (and not only), am I official support to XOOPS, no I'm not.

And where is the big deal with creating a new forum hardcore devs/pseudo "official" support site, faster dead to XOOPS I can saw with this action. Fresh example is Lunar Linux, check distrowatch.com for the begining of 2004 where Lunar was placed, now there are not exist in the top 100, cos they create the same mistake that u offer. From OpenSource project, to create a close community Bulletin board, is a bigest stupidy can be done ever.

What will be the new name for the next fork ?

Mithrandir

Some private forums for local site staff and xoops.org staff is not a bad thing, I think. Depending on what it is the local site staff need to discuss there.

Priority support? No way. The fewer who can read the questions, the fewer can answer them. And giving the impression that here is a way to get answers quick is a sure way to raise expectations and disappoint, when answers are not given fast enough.

I am very open for a "local support community" where we can get to know each other better and perhaps coordinate things that should be common for each official local support site. What these things should be, I have no idea - again, I don't know which problems occur when running a local support site.

One thing that could go on in these private forums is reports from the local communities from which Brash and jdseymour can pick the bits that should go in the WOX newsletter. It could also be the place where the XOOPS Core developers announce new releases, so the local sites have a chance to know about this and translate it into local announcements - before being asked what's new and how to fix this and that in the new release.

I had a talk with phppp yesterday and although we did not come to the conclusion, I had hoped for - the continuation of newbb with phppp as lead developer - we did come some way. The main thing is that as so many others, the future of XOOPS is at this point only fuzzy promises and no solid dates, feature lists etc.
We will correct that. The roadmap for XooSphere ("next major XOOPS version") is almost finished. I will finish a solid draft for a 2.1/2.2 roadmap tonight and a roadmap for the module development by the end of the week. Hopefully, we can get these proof-read and published before next week.

Shine
  • 2005/4/27 17:05

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Quote:
To Shine: What means official support site, who is official and who not, when I'm giving support to Bulgarian XOOPS users, provide translation to them (and not only), am I official support to XOOPS, no I'm not.

At this moment you see a line up of official local XOOPS support website at:https://xoops.org/modules/xoopspartners/
I a sure this line up isn't actual (needs to be investigated).
To get the status of official local xoop support there can be set up a small list of demands. If you comply to these requests/demands (checked by the central contact person) you get this status and get granted to get acces to this forum.

Quote:
And where is the big deal with creating a new forum hardcore devs/pseudo "official" support site, faster dead to XOOPS I can saw with this action. Fresh example is Lunar Linux, check distrowatch.com for the begining of 2004 where Lunar was placed, now there are not exist in the top 100, cos they create the same mistake that u offer. From OpenSource project, to create a close community Bulletin board, is a bigest stupidy can be done ever.

I don't think you get the drift in what I am saying. I DON'T mean that this seperate forum will exchange the local soppurt websites. No, not at all! It is just a faster and quicker way to communicate between core devs/module devs and other staffs who run the local supportwebsites.
Every support website needs to grab the latest news on xoops.org by themselves. Then translate it and after that they are able to informe their local users. This can take up days. Supportsites always run after XOOPS facts.
The same concerns on givin' approriate answers (read support) to their local community. Sometimes you, as staff, don't know the answer to them and need to turn to xoops.org.
Launche your question within this forum and hope to get a quick answer. Wouldn't it be much nicer if you are able to support your local community quicker and faster by being able to get support by other staff and devs?
Sometimes bugs are mentioned at the local support which will never reach the appropriate ppl.
A second advantage would be that supporsites are able to exchange experiences, knowledges, tutoos, new made by their community modules etc.. It wouldn't be the first time that modules are developed where no-one knows of. Sometimes I surf through a lot of local supportsites and stumble into newer module versions or even new modules, hacks, interesting tutoos a.s.o. But no official news was launched at the xoops.org
This way a lot of knowledge and features/modules bug solves is getting unnescesary lost.

Quote:
Mith.. wrote:
Priority support? No way. The fewer who can read the questions, the fewer can answer them. And giving the impression that here is a way to get answers quick is a sure way to raise expectations and disappoint, when answers are not given fast enough.
One thing that could go on in these private forums is reports from the local communities from which Brash and jdseymour can pick the bits that should go in the WOX newsletter

If the question isn't posted on the off. XOOPS website than the answer doesn't get lost. I think everybody who is involved in maintaining an off. XOOPS support website knows what can be expected and what not considering time in getting an answer. If this cannot be trusted than there is definately something wrong at and within xoops.
Some XOOPS supportsite are much stronger than others. Have a lot more staff ppl involved and therefore knowledge.
Btw, also supportsites staffmemebers can mutual help within that forum. So it aren't only the devs.
I am disappointed to read your firstly given negative answer, without even knowing exactly to what kind of problems local supportsite can run into. I am sorry to say but you really underhestimate these local supportsites. These communities are one of the motors of the XOOPS community. Spread by the local word (good and fast and accurate support, news forecast and tutoos etc.)

Grtz., Shine

Mithrandir

Quote:
Btw, also supportsites staffmemebers can mutual help within that forum. So it aren't only the devs.
I am disappointed to read your firstly given negative answer, without even knowing exactly to what kind of problems local supportsite can run into. I am sorry to say but you really underhestimate these local supportsites. These communities are one of the motors of the XOOPS community. Spread by the local word (good and fast and accurate support, news forecast and tutoos etc.)

Am I the one underestimating the local support sites? You seem to think that they cannot get the replies they need without a less crowded "priority" forum.

My main point is that all the gold that could build up in those "priority" threads would be lost for the users, who do NOT have access. Or we will have to do a lot of copying and moving of threads. That is why I gave that negative answer, not because I think lowly of the local support communities, which I don't. I highly respect the work that is done there, but is it really what they need? Isn't it better to have support where everyone can read it, help out and learn?

What came up at XOOPSDEM was not the need for priority support, but for priority information regarding XOOPS matters, so the local sites were informed of what is going on before their own users start asking questions about it. That is what I hope to achieve.

Login

Who's Online

80 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 80

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits