hamic
Newbb 2.0.2 & Browsers (SLOW in IE but FAST in Netscape)
  • 2005/3/1 14:22

• hamic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/24

Newbb 2.0.2 is extremely fast in Netscape with Javascript drop down menus immediately accessible.

However, in I.E., Newbb2 is extremely slow loading (even on this site) and drop-down menus are not accessible until the page is fully loaded.
In the Status Bar (as the page is loading) you can see for example: (124 items remaining)Opening Page www....etc. and none of the drop-downs will work for up to 30 seconds.

Sorry, I don't know the answer-just the problem.

This could be why there have been so many speed complaints about Newbb2.

Please, what is the solution to make it faster in IE?

Thx

phppp
Re: Newbb 2.0.2 & Browsers (SLOW in IE but FAST in Netscape)
  • 2005/3/1 14:39

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

You could disable some of the features and use gif for imageset.

Or, wait for a compact version of NewBB 2

hamic
  • 2005/3/1 14:42

• hamic

• Just popping in

Thanks for your reply, but did you read my post before you answered? It is not an issue of features or gifs, it is an issue of browser compatibility and what can be done to make it work in I.E. as it does in Netscape.

phppp
  • 2005/3/1 15:02

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

Quote:

hamic wrote:
Thanks for your reply, but did you read my post before you answered?

I did.

Quote:

hamic wrote:
It is not an issue of features or gifs, it is an issue of browser compatibility and what can be done to make it work in I.E. as it does in Netscape.

Since I was a newBB 2 developer, I know what causes it.

hamic
  • 2005/3/1 15:25

• hamic

• Just popping in

Thanks for explaining that you caused it. Actually, what I am looking for tho is how to fix it. So, to get back to the problem:

I.E. Status bar showing (80 items remaining) Loading page www,sitename etc. - and none of the javascript menus functioning until the page is fully loaded. (PLZ try to load this page using I.E. to see what I mean).

The NewBB pages load fast and function perfectly in Netscape - so it is not an issue of Functions-Gifs-or PNGs; but an issue of browser compatibility.

So the big question to analyze to help determine a fix is:

Why does it work well and load fast using some Browsers, but not when using I.E - and what can be done to make it work in I.E. ?

^^Thx

Speed
  • 2005/3/1 15:45

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

If I recall correctly, one of the ways IE appeared to load faster than Netscape back in the old days was by loading the whole page and then displaying it. In this way, the page appeared all at once. Any delay caused by grabbing all the pieces before display was not noticeable by most people since modems were still prevelant. IE and Netscape loaded about as fast but Netscape rendered on the fly and thus had the appearance of rendering pages very slowly.

That load all and then display functionality is now a detriment. Most people have broadband. Displaying while loading is now seen as a feature and not a detriment.

Change browsers or ask MS to update theirs.

Or perhaps change the png's to gifs and disable the java in NewBB. You'll need to reduce the complexity or number of things that IE needs to preload before display. In short, you probably need to cut out some functionality to improve IE's display speed.

The other place that might make a difference could be database calls. But any improvement there would make things better for all browsers.

My personal recommendation? I strongly recommend urging your users to switch browsers. I did that with mine and they have been one happy group of people. New functionality, no ads, great speed, updates every few months, plug-ins for those that want to tweak things.

Good luck.

phppp
  • 2005/3/1 15:53

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

Quote:

hamic wrote:
Thanks for explaining that you caused it. Actually, what I am looking for tho is how to fix it.
^^Thx

Sorry, plz do not misread my words.
First, I said "I know what causes it", not saying "I caused it".
Second, for the solution, I already recommended:
Quote:
You could disable some of the features and use gif for imageset.
Or, wait for a compact version of NewBB 2

Sorry for not having helped to develop a perfect NewBB.
But I am still glad to develop it for you, paid only.
Or, free solution at our site.

rowdie
  • 2005/3/1 15:58

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Quote:

hamic wrote:
Thanks for explaining that you caused it. Actually, what I am looking for tho is how to fix it.

That's an unneccessarily aggressive post for someone who has already had their question answered by a developer.

The problem is with the way the IE browser works. The fix is to take phppp's advice.

Rowd

DobePhat
  • 2005/3/1 16:12

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

ph thanks for suggesting a trimmed down version of newbb2 may be in the works, I think it would be an asset to the fine devlopment thus far.

Re: this issue with IE and Netscape?!

All of the above mentioned.
But also considering sizeing down your css if you have to? We are constantly trying to do tweeks ourselves because IE is such a lousy browser really.

IE Preloads CSS before display.
So it reads the style sheet then renders the page.ie: You will notice on sites with background color or images in their css,(like ours) that in IE, everytime you change pages, it loads that first. Adding a delay that is not found in mozilla type browsers, which cache the sheet and are basically more intelligent IMO

In fact everything is faster outside of IE

Another, thing, and we remind ourselves, cut down on the http requests. Have a lot of images? start getting rid of em.

Im excited to hear the Newbb2 may have a trimmed down version. I found the scripting, while cool and effective for advanced users; is just a bit too much and slows down a site that might be too populated with other scripting features. Thanks for the heads up! And truly appreciate the effort to make the bb forums in XOOPS system more advanced.

hamic
  • 2005/3/1 16:15

• hamic

• Just popping in

Rowdie, I would have replied to your post by PM but it will be another 3-4 minutes before this page finishes loading and I can get a popdown menu to get to your PM.

Anyway, plz don't respond to questions unless you have an answer. If you want to rant about my aggressiveness do it with PM- if you can get to it.

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits