hyperpod
Re: Action List
  • 2005/1/18 17:16

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

For a test module, i propose using Credits 1.3.5

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?credits

Its mostly a simple module with at least 4 languages already supported. JasonMR did a great job in the project management area of this project.

as the coder, im aware of some things that need to be improved with it (like supporting register globals=off) and so maybe it would be a great test to run it through the QA filter.

Also, I would like to start on the Linux side of action item #3, although, even after reviewing the mozilla smoketest info, im still not sure where to start with XOOPS module smoketesting. I do understand a bit of it, but i havent done any yet. Maybe I could get a better jist of it from brash's windows smoketests.

I can do a good job with writing tech docs, so writing these smoketests would be an enjoyable challenge.

Cheers,

rowdie
  • 2005/1/20 1:16

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I'd like to help with Action Item #2 - Reviewing the General Module Development Standards.

And for a test module, I vote for SmartFAQ. It is complete with very extensive documentation, and is a relatively new module, so is using the standards as they are understood today. It would be a good test to see how effective those standards really are.

Rowd

jorgebarrero

I suggest to use the most simple module for this purpouse.
The contact module (the one that comes with xoops).

The reason is simple. It is simple enough to document it, to review and to train people on how to use smoke tests and so on.

Even we can modify what ever, do some enhacements on the module just to make it fit the standard, and then on use it as a reference.

Probably we have to add some fetures that include the usage of the data base (for example to choose from a list of posible contacts).

A very simple module would be ease to explain to newbies, and will not be a distraction on the core process.

Jorge

daddystu
  • 2005/1/24 11:21

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Quote:

jorgebarrero wrote:
I suggest to use the most simple module for this purpouse.
The contact module (the one that comes with xoops).

The reason is simple. It is simple enough to document it, to review and to train people on how to use smoke tests and so on.

Even we can modify what ever, do some enhacements on the module just to make it fit the standard, and then on use it as a reference.

Probably we have to add some fetures that include the usage of the data base (for example to choose from a list of posible contacts).

A very simple module would be ease to explain to newbies, and will not be a distraction on the core process.

Jorge

SImple is definitely good, for all the reasons outlined here
BUT
I am thinking that a 3rd party rather than a core module would be easier.
You don't have to upload and unpack a core module (is that the right term? = any module that comes with the XOOPS package?).

Since I am not a coder, I have no idea but it certainly is possible that a core module has certain features that make it core??

Simple is good, familiarity can help there.
I would go for SmartFAQ.

How about a poll>>>Dave?

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/24 18:57

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Sorry, I've been meaning to update this topic.

About the "test module", I'm not sure what that means. If you're talking about action item #1, I figured the person (or persons) doing that action item would choose the module.

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/24 19:18

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:

rowdie wrote:
I'd like to help with Action Item #2 - Reviewing the General Module Development Standards.

And for a test module, I vote for SmartFAQ. It is complete with very extensive documentation, and is a relatively new module, so is using the standards as they are understood today. It would be a good test to see how effective those standards really are.

yes i interested to join Item #2 too.
Smartfaq is a well designed module:
useing template for every parts , colorless style and fully compatible with multi-bytes charsets and RTL languages.
therefor my vote is Smartfaq too

jensclas

If these 'Action' items include proof reading text for user freindliness I am willing to help - As an action item I would prefer to be working on the same module that is under smoketest. That way we are working on things together. The text I am thinking of specifically is the 'read me file' and any other text docs that go with how to use a module. I think this is covered in the criteria of a smoketest - so when you are smoketesting if I know which module it is and who is looking at it I can feedback on the 'text' part. criteria would include how the text meets its target audience and purpose, checking the language for correct use of English (for those who have English as a second language it is usually a matter of minor errors that are common that need correcting, readability for newbies)

Doing this would also enable a collection of terms and definitions...but to work up a glossary would be a whole huge task itself. Perhaps xoops.org would consider using a 'dictionary' module so the whole community can contribute to it. I wonder if this could have definitions written in languages other than English at the same time????

This is the best way I can help

Cheers
Jenny

daddystu
  • 2005/1/27 21:16

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
Sorry, I've been meaning to update this topic.

About the "test module", I'm not sure what that means. If you're talking about action item #1, I figured the person (or persons) doing that action item would choose the module.

I didn't assume that, sorry. How about those doing Action #1 submit their preferred choice of module...just in case.
Also then everyone does indeed know
1.that Action #1 has started
2.which module is being worked on.

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/28 1:33

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I posted a topic QA Team Action List Status for keeping track of the items on the action list.

I think I got the volunteers right. If not, please let me know, and I'll correct that.

Also let me know if you think the "target date for completion" for an item you're working on is unreasonable and needs to be changed.

Re: Action Item #5. I don't think this is needed, and that's it's appropriate for the people working on item #1 to choose the module.

Maybe I didn't explain item #1 clearly enough. The result is an example smoketest. I.e., the goal of item #1 is not to test a module. The goal is to write a smoketest that will be used as a basis for developing a "template" for writing other smoketests. So it doesn't matter a lot which module is used for that purpose.

Login

Who's Online

112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 112

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits