m0nty
Re: Lost a customer
  • 2005/1/18 0:29

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

well we're all human, sometimes they do get missed.. it's not intentional tho.. :) but if another similar question gets a reply and it solves ur problem, the end result is the same :)

(u should try ignoring my g/f, i bet that hurts you more.. it does me anyway )

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/18 0:36

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

Hey lets move on hey are we men or a social knitting club here having a nag... 1 person out of a membership base of 25000 is unhappy because they assumed to think that we all have mental telepathy. His loss not ours if he wants to have that attitude fine and dandy but why drap on the topic for I see no point but just to have a whinge as well.. Come on guys you all want to be taken seriously well sitting and whinging about 1 person leaving is not a way to go.. Whether he leaves because of bad attitude thats his right and if he returns hope he does we shall support him as best as we support everybody else..

This is my 2 cents I am kent brockman

Chainsaw
  • 2005/1/18 0:37

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Again, don't mean to offend but there is a funny flash animation that I saw from another forum for their noobie forum posters. Quite funny in a way (Flash required and some l33t language involved).

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

brash
  • 2005/1/18 0:43

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I think we had all established that tamerlane had unrealistic expectations. What we (or at least I am anyway) are discussing now is what we can do to make forum guidlines more obvious for new users.

Bassman
  • 2005/1/18 1:10

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Chainsaw, that's one of the funniest (and most appropriate) things i've seen in a long time!

m0nty
  • 2005/1/18 1:13

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

yep i was just watching that flash movie too (still chuckling at it).. excellent :)

bit slow for the 56k users tho..

jdseymour

Well part of the reason that we get so many questions asked over and over again, and I know I may get bashed.) But with the forums on the front page it is the first thing that the newcomer sees when they visit the site for the first time.

Sure there are document links on the frontpage, but they are just that to a newcomer links, and that big forum block in the middle of the front page must be where to get answers.

I think to get the newcomer to use the documentation available is to make it stand out from the clutter. I know when I first came here, I didn't look right or left, I headed straight for the forums.

Maybe we need a block in the upper front page with links to the faq, XOOPS for Dummies, installation guide, operations guide and so on. But not just links, it needs to be graphical to stand out and catch attention.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all for anybody to ask questions. And when I am around I try to answer even the most trivial ones to the best of my (limited) ability, to help that new user get the satisfaction of a great new XOOPS website as I have had in administrating mine.

Rhomal
  • 2005/1/18 3:39

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

brash wrote:
@Rhomal

Can you provide links to these questions you did not get answers to? From what I observe it is very rare that a post gets out of the most recent topics block without getting answered, and the ones that do are more often than not require quite involved answers, or are very scant on details.

In the case of tamerlane he posted ONCE giving vauge problem details. All he said was XOOPS said his directory was writable but it wouldn't write, and that he wasn't using Linux. That is NOT enough information to give any kind of specific/targeted answer. Considering the lack of detail given I think Carnuke gave a very professional response. Then less than 2 days later tamerlane posts again, not in reply to his original question to try and help us help him to solve his problem, but to criticize our community for not giving support he did not ask for. That is an unreasonable expectation no matter which way you try and put it.

Brash, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Allow me to clarifiy, I agree overall tamerlane should have had more patience. This is free support/high traffic after all. But I do beleive the project has gotten so large the current system as it were is overwhelmed. Perhaps there needs to be a group dedicated to just browse/post replies/answers in the forums. If that system does exist perhaps more people need to be added.

I know answering the SAME question for the 109th time is a bore. But even a generic "The answer is in the FAQ" while short at LEAST give those new people a. an reply and b. some direction to getting a answer.

As for a few of my posts I was refering too:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25269&forum=20

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21506&forum=1

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26920&forum=1

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28631&forum=28

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28665&forum=4

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=23493&forum=7

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=23471&forum=7

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21507&forum=4

Some did not get replies, others did but in the end the issue was just not answered. As I have become more skilled with XOOPS most of the issues I have on my own overcome but a few still linger.

Keep in mind I have changed my handle since I posted some of those.

In the end certainly just as much if not more of the questions I posted have been answered. But there does seem to be a large enough gap to warrent concern IMO. That is all my point is.

My 2 coppers

brash
  • 2005/1/18 4:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Rhomal,

This is good (for me at least) as it is helping to paint a picture of what kind of questions are getting overlooked. Of the 8 questions you linked to, only 1 is what I'd consider to be clearly in the realms of what should be getting answered on these forums. Of course you are free to ask any questions you like, but I don't think there should be an expectation of an answer in all the cases you provided. Once you get outside of supporting the XOOPS core, core modules/blocks, and their unaltered functionality I think it starts to become a bit of grey area. For instance the topics of your questions were (in order they were linked);

1) Importing word documents to WF-Section

2) Thumbnail generation problem in XoopsGallery

3) Intranet performance issues with Apache

4) Inaccurate Who's Online Block

5) Installing NewBB2 editors

6) Mass upload of avatars

7) Use of more info block

8) Intergration of 3rd party Moon Phase script

Of these questions number 7 is the only one that clearly meets the criteria of supporting the XOOPS core, core modules/blocks, and their unaltered functionality. Number 4 & 6 are asking questions of the XOOPS core modules/blocks, but to be able to do what you where asking required more than what XOOPS can do without manually modifying it (be that a short coming of XOOPS or otherwise). Questions number 1, 2, 3, 5 and 8 are not your "run of the mill" questions and are all regarding 3rd party modules.

The reason I categorise them like this is I really don't think the XOOPS forums should be the place for expecting any real support for third party modules. This is because the people who are have the familiar enough with these modules to be able to support them to a high level might not even look at the XOOPS forums, and in most cases you'll find that the developers of these modules provide their own support forums. For questions such as you asked in 1, 2, 3, 5 and 8, I'd be posting them with the expectation that I wouldn't get an answer from these forums, not with theexpectation I would.

sunsnapper

Anyone else nominating Tamerlane for Xoopser community member of the year?

...lost another loan to ditech...

Here is a thread dealing with his problem... perhaps he is using an Microsoft IIS server... however, he didn't say.
IIS and mainfile.php

Probably the "solution" is manual installation until people figue out if there is an IIS 6 specific problem.

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits