Trepex
Syndi-ma-cation?
  • 2004/11/24 13:57

• Trepex

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/21

Hey all! I don't suppose there's any easy way to implement syndication with RSS or atom feeds, for the News module in XOOPS is there? Or perhaps there exists a cloned News module that implements feeds?

I *could* use something like the adapted wordpress module for blog-like syndication, but I much prefer the traditional XOOPS News module.

Trepex
Re: Syndi-ma-cation?
  • 2004/11/24 14:08

• Trepex

• Just popping in

Blah. Why do I always post just moments before I find the solutions. A simple Xoops.org search would have worked <sigh>

Anyway, I found a likely solution. For anyone interested, here is the appropriate post with info on RSS syndication.

Trepex
  • 2004/11/24 14:26

• Trepex

• Just popping in

Wait a second. Is there actually a way to activate an RSS feed for the News page, without a third-party module? And if so, how and where do I activate that.

I got the idea from reading this, on the RSSFit webpage:
"Unlike the official XML backend of XOOPS that works just for news"

So how to I activate the "official" syndicating for news???

ackbarr

no activation necessary. The news module's RSS feed is located in the script /backend.php

Trepex
  • 2004/11/24 15:28

• Trepex

• Just popping in

thanks ackbarr! but is there anyway, either with RSSFit or with the native backend that I can get browers like Firefox to detect the feed and show the system tray icon? For example, it does it for the Xoops.org site, but not for mine. Even with RSSFit activated. RSSFit creates the feeds and even has a page with the links but firefox still isn't catching them.

What does it take to make this work?

Trepex
  • 2004/11/24 15:30

• Trepex

• Just popping in

okay I see that I only needed to include the appropriate linkrel tag in the template.html, and now that works.

Here is my last problem. All quotes and special characters in the titles and clipets of my feeds are referenced by their appropriate code, instead of just showing the character, for example:

it shows: Murphy's Laws of Combat
instead of: Murphy's Laws of Combat

Is there any easy way to fix this? Is it a PHP configuration thing that I need to have my webhost look into?

LazyBadger

Try (in RSSFit) do not "encode to UTF" - at least for my feeds (totally 8-bit) I see normal text
Also - what is charset of your XOOPS site? Probably 7-bit?

Login

Who's Online

251 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 251

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits