brmecham
My IP Address changed and now Xoops site doesn't work!
  • 2004/10/7 16:15

• brmecham

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/13

http://www.brmecham.com

My IP address changed and now my XOOPS web site won't work. How do I fix this? Where in XOOPS can I specify a different IP address?

My XOOPS site still thinks it's suppose to use the old IP 24.xx.xx.xx instead of the new one 67.xx.xx.xx.

Some things show up when you go tohttp://www.brmecham.com but overall it's not working.

Please help.

onokazu
Re: My IP Address changed and now Xoops site doesn't work!
  • 2004/10/7 17:51

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

In mainfile.php, I guess, in your case. Why not use your domain name in that file so that changing IP addresses in the future won't cause any problem.

upsadaz
Re:My IP Address changed and now Xoops site doesn't work!
  • 2004/10/7 18:29

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

I originally found this herehttp://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=InstallGuide

I edited the mainfile.php,
('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH ', 'var/xxx/xxx');
('XOOPS_URL', 'http://yourdomain.com');

This helped me resolve a similar issue.

I hope this helps you.

brmecham
  • 2004/10/8 21:48

• brmecham

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/13

I edited mainfile.php and that fixed the ip address problem. now what I don't understand is why the template isn't working??? Is there something else I need to do... look, the content is there, but the theme is not working right...http://www.brmecham.com

any ideas of what I should try now?

Stewdio
  • 2004/10/8 23:26

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

If there has been a DNS change, it will take a couple days before you can view your site as it was before. In most cases, this will clear up within 24-36 hours up to 72 hours maximum.

You could alternatively use /your.ip.adress/~username (or what ever root directory you have for now until it's resolved) and then change back to yourdomain.com (mainfile.php)

You need to empty your /templates_c folder and if you use the module caching feature you need to delete the files in /cache as well, but most likely you won't need to. Main thing is to empty the /templates_c folder as tis will contain old IP information in the files.

Double check permissions (CHMOD /uploads, /templates)c, and /cache to 777) in case they were not carried over to the new IP address.

Most of these issues will clear up if you check what I have suggested above, mainly your /templates_c directory.

raschmidt
  • 2004/10/10 15:02

• raschmidt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/9

I have a similar problem.....

I have a dsl modem and a linux box and a few pc's next to it.

My external address is 68.xx.xx.xx and my address internal is the usual 192.168.1.x.

When I enter 'www.mysite.com' in mainfile.php (or 68.xx.xx.xx/~xoopa) I can access the site from the outside but not from the inside.

When I enter 192.168.1.x I can acces the site form inside but not form outside.

I always see the login screen etc but all the template controlled goodies are not there.

Any solution????? Is it possible to resolve www.mysite.com to 192.168.1.x for local machines ????? That would do it but I am DNS clueless...

Thanks for ideas

Rainer

upsadaz
  • 2004/10/11 17:34

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

@raschmidt & brmecham
Sorry.
I am too inexperienced with the template issues to give any useful advice there.
However, I have noticed that I have to manually change several paths for images and a few other things once I change the mainfile.php. Perhaps something similar is happening on your sites. With any luck if you snoop around you may find that you have to update some paths for some other parts of your particular site.

Good luck.

Maybe some more experienced xoopsers will give a suggestion here.

chiweb
  • 2004/10/15 0:30

• chiweb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/30

Raschmidt,

All you have to do is edit your "hosts" file to allow machines that are behind your router/firewall to redirect to your webserver ip address. In Windows XP this file can be found in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc directory.

Simply add two entries-

AFTER the line that reads:

127.0.0.1 localhost

ADD:

192.168.x.x yourdomain.com
192.168.x.x www.yourdomain.com

(where 192.168.x.x is the ip address your router assigned to your webserver running XOOPS)

(where yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com is your actual domain name with and without the www)

edit the file with notepad and save and your all set,
do this on each machine on your network, but not necessary on the actual server machine.

hope this helps, it does for me.

CHEERS

raschmidt
  • 2004/10/23 13:48

• raschmidt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/9

THANKS!!!

That solves my problem nicely.

My solution in the meantime was to use an outside proxy. I found one and emailed the company regarding their open proxy and they simply do not care... so for quick tests or when you have no access to the host file use 193.178.233.142 and port 80 for your browser proxy setting. Works like a charm. I only used it for testing because:

1. I don't want to abuse the guy's proxy cache.
2. I don't know what THEY are looking at .

However, using the proxy also shows that all the sttings to get OUT of your lan DO work!

Thanks again for the hosts refresher !!!!

Rainer

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits